• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5 Creedmoor barrel length?

DarinR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2007
Haysville, Kansas
I would normally just get a 26" barrel and be done with it but I will probably run it suppressed a good amount so I am looking at making it a few inches shorter. Has anyone ran the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47L or .260 Remington at 22" or so and regretted it?

Most shooting will be less than 600 yards so absolute velocity is not critical.

Thanks for your input!

Darin

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor barrel length?

Bump. I'm interested as well. I'm planning a 6.5cm now for precision/sniper comps and can't find much info on barrel length for this caliber/ Barrel will be 5r.

I just had one done and wound up going 26" unthreaded. Decided if I want a can or am only shooting mid range that's what my 308's for.

I don't like adjusting dope for can/no can and if I shoot in states that are can-less I want my rifle to be as it is when I train. I think its counterproductive to travel to a big match and shoot my rifle in a configuration different than I do at home....

Went with 28" barrel and handles fine everywhere. Range, deer woods...

Have to admit I've been seriously considering cutting down to 22-23" and shooting 120 gr. boolets.

My surgeon has a 24" barrel and with the AAC Cyclone, its a little long, but not too bad. If you're not going past 600, I can't imagine why you couldn't run a 22"

24" on mine bolt gun.
It is threaded but I haven't tried the can on it yet.
Shoots like a laser and I just ain't gonna screw wid' it!

26" inches with a can is too long for my frame. Debated cutting it to 20". TOUGH to add it back on if it fails miserably/falls short of expectations. If you go that length I would be interested in your velocities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would normally just get a 26" barrel and be done with it but I will probably run it suppressed a good amount so I am looking at making it a few inches shorter. Has anyone ran the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47L or .260 Remington at 22" or so and regretted it?

Most shooting will be less than 600 yards so absolute velocity is not critical.

Thanks for your input!

Darin </div></div>

If you haven't seen this thread:

Short is Smart -SHR Test Build 18" 260 Rem

By Frank (Lowlight). I would not expect that a 6.5 Creedmoor would be any different than a 260 REM in a short barrel, seeing that they differ less than 2 grains in case capacity.

I would not buy an 18" barreled 6.5 for myself, but 21" would do nicely I would think.