• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor bleed off gas block

sniper79_98

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
USA
Does anyone know (about) how many clicks it takes for a superlative bleed off gas block to operate smoothly in a 6.5 creedmoor with a +2 gas length shooting suppressed?

Honestly it can and will vary from system to system. The barrels gas port, tube, specific ammo, big, and buffer system all will play a role. Are you having problems getting your rifle to cycle or just trying to limit ammo tuning it?

It's going to depend on the barrel length, efficiency of your gas system, gas port, bcg, buffer weight and spring combo, ammo and probably most importantly your suppressor. An oss will have significantly less back pressure than a cgs Hyperion for example.

Just turn it all the way down, put 1 round in the mag at a time and keep shooting/opening the gas block until it locks the bolt back. Do it while you are zeroing.

I don't know why people want to use a bleed off on something that isn't an over gassed/long dwell length set up from start (example 16" carbine gas length). Just adjust the gas in restricted till it locks back. No reason to blow carbon all out the front of the block. Whatever to each their own. It's not for me.

Superlative-Arms-Gas-Bleedoff-1024x683.jpg

Everything on the outside of the barrel is that much more that won't end up in your can or action. The only downside I see is having to wipe it off the barrel once in a while.

Everything on the outside of the barrel is that much more that won't end up in your can or action. The only downside I see is having to wipe it off the barrel once in a while.

But I don't understand why people use it vs just tuning the block to cycle the gun. If you are only using enough gas to cycle the gun why use the bleed off on a good host.

From Superlative arms website. I actually wasn't fully aware of this, I thought the screw still did something just didn't operate the same as it did in restricted or I'm misunderstanding something.

• The pressure used in the block is reduced only to the amount required to drive the bolt carrier. The remaining gas and pressure are bled out of the block allowing the system to run much cleaner and cooler.
  • In bleed off mode the gas adjustment screw does not restrict the gas flow; therefore, there is no erosion or seizing of the screw, and no loss of detent due to carbon build up. Although it is removable, we have added a safety mechanism, which stops you from unintentionally backing the screw all the way out

Just tune the gun to last round bolt hold. I don't want hot carbon shooting out my block onto my hand or other shit.

So it looks like for TS the answer is the screw doesn't matter. Maybe the bleed off helps with long dwell length set ups with suppressors but I have no interest in either a long dwell length or bleed off personally.

Last edited:
All good responses. Thank you. Specifics and variables aside, it’s a general question pertaining to a specific caliber and gas length. I was looking for a starting point for the bleed off function. “Hey, mine cycled and bled properly around click 18 or 20”. I don’t have a lot of ammunition and no primers for the brass I do get. Thanks again.

All good responses. Thank you. Specifics and variables aside, it’s a general question pertaining to a specific caliber and gas length. I was looking for a starting point for the bleed off function. “Hey, mine cycled and bled properly around click 18 or 20”. I don’t have a lot of ammunition and no primers for the brass I do get. Thanks again.

In bleed off I don't think the screw does anything.

• The pressure used in the block is reduced only to the amount required to drive the bolt carrier. The remaining gas and pressure are bled out of the block allowing the system to run much cleaner and cooler.
  • In bleed off mode the gas adjustment screw does not restrict the gas flow; therefore, there is no erosion or seizing of the screw, and no loss of detent due to carbon build up. Although it is removable, we have added a safety mechanism, which stops you from unintentionally backing the screw all the way out

The Superlative gas block can do both restrict or bleed off.
From fully screwed in (closed) you would unscrew it (CCW) 4.5 turns and it would (at that setting) be fully open.
From that setting you would screw it in (CW) to restrict gas or screw it out (CCW) to bleed off gas.

If you are not running a suppressor there is no reason to bleed off.
To use without a suppressor start with valve open one turn from closed and test with a single round
in the magazine opening the valve until you get the bolt carrier to lock back then open one click more.

Reactions: reubenski
I don't know if you're using it suppressed or not, but if so, here is an interesting post from the lead engineer at Dead Air on setting bleed of blocks.

I'm sure you have your instructions that came with the GB, but obviously you don't set a SA GB like you do restriction GBs, you set it to full open (not sure on # turns out? It's in the instructions) then screw out to bleed off more gas until you start to mess with function. On my mid length 6.5 G and .223, that 7-8 turn sweet spot worked out.

Trying the SA block on a suppressed mid-length .308, it seemed like I couldn't ever bleed enough gas to get the function like I wanted it, too short of a gas system for that kind of block I guess. I could get it to run well suppressed only open like 3 clicks in restrictive mode, but my last SA instructions card doesn't even mention using the restrictive mode anymore, so I think it's not recommended... Also you lose the benefits of bleed off.

Haven't put an SA gas block on a 6.5 CM, but I'd be surprised if anyone is able to prescribe the number of clicks your rifle will require. If you don't want to go though the procedure in the instructions of setting it wide open and going out from there, I'd aim for that 7-8 turn area and see what it's doing.