• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Brass

264shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
Western Nevada
I am a long time fan of the 6.5 family of cartridges. I like to try different things so I have been working on a short action project for a while. Decided to try the Creedmoor. Standard stuff 700 action, pacnor plama barrel, ai stock mostly just parts I have lying around. I had pacific tool make a short throat reamer for the 123 lapua bullet. I think the problem I am having with poor accuracy, I'm talking about fliers. Is the hornady brass. I am very carefull to pep my brass. What I am seeing is .002-.005 run out in the brass. I support the brass half way down the neck and at the base. My dial indicator is about .250 of an inch from the shoulder. I check my set up and proceedure with new 308 lapua brass and the needle dosn't even move. I check cartridge concentrisity and I like to have less than .002 run out there. I'm getting an easy 3000 fps with RL17 and win 760 absolutly no pressure. I'm I seeing things ? I am not real quick to point the finger at the components since there is a large human factor invloved. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen. thnaks

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Brass ( not impressed )

Mine shoots great (albeit slow) with factory ammo with no prep... I'd look elsewhere...

I will get a box of factory 120's and give that a try. with the short throat I will have to measure at the ogive and see if they will fit and be safe in my gun.

What's the runout of your loaded ammo with bullet seated? Also are you running the brass through a FL sizer prior to prep and loading?

Like JRose I shoot the factory ammo and find it very accurate and don't have any problems in my GAP rifle.

With factory 140's my Creed is as accurate if not the most accurate rifle I've owned to this point.

123 Lapuas are seated to a lenght of 2.741 thats puts them into the lands .005. I do measure the loaded round and I get some good ones that are less than .002 but then I get alot that are between .002 -.005 out.

You may want to switch powder too. I tried Re17 and had some really good results during testing, then took it out to a 600 yard match and got some elevation issues. I didnt seem to have any issues when using H4350 or V100. I will also agree that the Hornady brass aint the best. Its soft, which is good for longevity, but you run anything even remotely hot and the pockets go in an instant. If we could get factory Win or Lapua for this cartridge, I would be estatic.

Try something other than Re17 and report back.

John

What is the runout of the brass out of the box? Are you running the brass through a FL sizer before loading? If not try it. Also what is the runout on the fired brass?

Try the loaded ammo and see how it works.

Mudcat, I have run the 140 AMAX up to 2870fps and the brass is holding up fine on it's fourth loading. Primer pockets nice and tight. I use H4350 with the 140 AMAX.

I'm running the new brass through the match bushing die for pep. I wasn't able get the FL die because they were out. I'm using a.288 and .287 bushing loaded ammo is .290 I have the FL on order and I'm hoping thats solves my problem.

Is the bushing free floating when you use it. I have used bushing neck dies with my other calibers and I tighten down until it hits the bushing and then back off about 1/8 turn to that the bushing can free float and self center. If it doesn't do this it can mess with concentricity. Try that if you don't do that already.

Also I agree with Mudcat on the powder. Try some H4350. It works great in that cartridge and you should be able to easily get those same velocities.

The fired brass is measuring noticably better. I thought I messed it up in my pep. my loads with fired brass are better.

Yes, I use bushing dies in some of my other stuff and letting it float and self center does seem to be the way to go.