• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Brass

mike4aera

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2017
Is there an advantage with small primer pocket over large primer pocket in 6.5CM brass. Is the small primer pocket less susceptible to primer pocket enlargement.

Is there an advantage with small primer pocket over large primer pocket in 6.5CM brass. Is the small primer pocket less susceptible to primer pocket enlargement.
More brass at the case head is definitely stronger. They both shoot well for me. My srp brass is Starline, lrp is Hornady.

I've got both, Starline and Hornady, both lrp. I fired some loads with 42.0 and 43.0 grains of H4350. Both ended up with enlarged primer pockets. Next purchase will be Starline with srp. Thanks for the response

Im using Lapua brass (SRP) in both my 6.5 Creed's with 42.4 and 42.8 H4350 and happy with brass life so far. About 5 loadings on each using 147's.

I run 41.1 of imr 4451. Pretty light. You might want lapua brass for 43grns. I just checked two books online and they don't hit 42grn of h4350(only 60k psi).

I was getting enlarged primer pockets with 43 grain load and possibly with the 42 grain load. I am now shooting 41.0 grains of H4350 and keeping a close eye on the primers. There are no other indications of too much pressure.

I've used Hornady, Lapua (srp), and Alpha srp. Haven't had any issues. I wouldn't advise running 43 grains of H4350 though, that's fairly hot. I mainly use srp just because my gun craters lrp pretty bad just since it's not bushed. What lead you to decide to run 43 grns. Did you work up to that or just say hold my beer were going in? How many loadings did it take to blow out the primer pocket?

I have Starline and Lapua SRP. I don't run anywhere close to hot though (40.3gr H4350). Both sets of brass have faired well so far.

I've used Hornady, Lapua (srp), and Alpha srp. Haven't had any issues. I wouldn't advise running 43 grains of H4350 though, that's fairly hot. I mainly use srp just because my gun craters lrp pretty bad just since it's not bushed. What lead you to decide to run 43 grns. Did you work up to that or just say hold my beer were going in? How many loadings did it take to blow out the primer pocket?
An amendment to this post would be that the Alpha SRP primer pockets are overly small. Even after primer pocket uniforming they are very tight. Have lost a few new primers due to them getting wedged but the next primer seating works.

I did a ladder test and 43.0 grains was the highest powder charge, that test went from 39.0 to 43.0 in 1 grain increments. All five groups shot under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. The second load with 43 grains enlarged the primer pocket enough that a couple were loose, a couple fell out. These tests were done with Berger 130 vld Hybrid's. I'm now at 41.5 or less. Have been trying some 140 Bergers as well.