• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Build Input

deadduck357

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2010
Tx
Mods if this is the wrong section, please excuse me, there are probably many sections here I could post my questions.

I'm looking at my first custom built rifle and have some questions that I thought many here could help with.

Let me start with what I know I want

1) Caliber - 6.5 Creedmoor

2) Barrel Length - Not less than 22" and not greater than 24"

3) Barrel Fluting - 6 groove

4) Rifling - 5R (or 5C)

5) Barrel Material - Stainless Steel

The set-up I'm looking for is a do-it-all rig. For long range hunting, long range target, a 900m rifle.

I haven't decided on which action yet.

What y'all could help me with is:

1) What barrel length would be best with the 6.5cm, 22" or 24" ?

2) What rifling twist rate is ideal for the 6.5cm, 1/8 or 1/8.5 ?

3) What contour is ideal for a fluted 22-24" SS barrel for both field & range ?

4) What finish/process is best for blackening stainless steel ?

I know there will be more questions later, but for now I want to get a barrel on order.

Thanks for any input

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Build Input

With the 6.5 CM, you want your barrel as long as possible, so if your max is 24, get that. As far as twist rate, depends on what tips you want to use. The heavier bullets would like the 1:8 twist better.

1.Dennis at creedmoor sports recommends longer barrels If 24 is as long as you want to go then I would go 24" if you want to go 22" I would go 6.5x47 lapua
2. 1-8 twist will be best
3. I would go #6 or #7
4. I like cerokote best
5. I would go McMillan HTG stock

I should have mentioned, 129gr projectiles would be the main weight grain, but want the twist rate to cover 120gr through 140gr.

24" fluted #7 contour with an 8 twist will handle what you want it to do. The barrel will be heavy enough but not too heavy with the fluting and length. Cerakote it black and it will be fine. Check out the Manners T3 or T stock for the stock.

You going to be handloading or shooting the 129grn SST Superformance ammo?

+1 on TB reply

I have a 20" 6.5x47 runs 123 scenars @ 2900fps

sure the brass is $$ but it needs no prep

However if i was doing one right his minute
http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html
puts right wot is wrong with 243, no fireforming
still run a 20" barrel

Stocks = Manners
Barrels = Bartlein, Broughton, Rock etc

whose gonna smith this for ya?

Now if you got $$ spare ck classifieds here alot good rigs for sale

Go long 28 inches on the barrel!!

You want to get the most velocity possible!

I suggest a Tubb contour or medium palma.Personally I'd be looking at a 26-28" barrel to keep the velocities up.

A friend of mine put a 21.5" barrel on his 6.5x47L and he's only getting 2670fps with 140JLK's.At 2750fps he was getting a sticky bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest a Tubb contour or medium palma.Personally I'd be looking at a 26-28" barrel to keep the velocities up.

</div></div>

That's a good suggestion. I would have said longer but he seemed like he was set on 24" for some reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.Dennis at creedmoor sports recommends longer barrels If 24 is as long as you want to go then I would go 24" if you want to go 22" I would go 6.5x47 lapua
2. 1-8 twist will be best
3. I would go #6 or #7
4. I like cerokote best
5. I would go McMillan HTG stock </div></div>

Dave Emary(Hornady) recommended the 22".

I was having a hard time deciding between the 6.5 CM and the 6.5 L, both look great for what I want. But everything keeps pointing to the Creedmoor. Creedmoor has lower pressures than the Lapua, so theoretical longer barrel life, right ? Also just for a deciding factor I searched pricing for cases and factory loaded ammo and the Creedmoor was considerably cheaper. Found some loaded CM for $18 - $22, the cheapest I could find 6.5L was like $49

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">24" fluted #7 contour with an 8 twist will handle what you want it to do. The barrel will be heavy enough but not too heavy with the fluting and length. Cerakote it black and it will be fine. Check out the Manners T3 or T stock for the stock.

You going to be handloading or shooting the 129grn SST Superformance ammo? </div></div>

Yes, I was looking at the 129gr as my main, BUT want the twist to cover 120-140. This is why I was wondering about 8.5 twist ???

Will be reloading but want factory available also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go long 28 inches on the barrel!!

You want to get the most velocity possible!

</div></div>

I understand, but I hate taking my M700 VLS 260 in the field, it sucks for stalking.

I was looking at a Krieger 5R barrel, maybe a Broughton 5C. What other barrel manufacturers use 5R or similar(5C) ?

Kreiger 8 twist will cover all your needs in a medium palma contour which is what I have and it shoots bug holes with factory 140's.
28" barrel that I carried in the deer woods in the heavy woods of SW MO and barrel length was not a problem.

Split the difference and go 26"
wink.gif

We use standard Kreiger 8 twist barrels and they work on the 120s and 140s very well. I am sure the 5R will too as Kreiger makes very nice barrels.