• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor build questions

ScPiper

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2023
Texas
I am starting a 6.5 Creedmoor precision rifle build on an ar-10/lr-308 system. I am looking for recommendations on a barrel, gas block, and muzzle brake (I know a suppressor would be best, but not in the budget right now). I saw a Wilson Combat supersniper barrel for sale on Brownells but I do not have any experience with Wilson Combat outside of their 1911's. I am looking to use the rifle for some minor long-range competitions and local long-rang matches, the distances can reach out to 1200 yards.

I have three WC barrels, two of which aren't hard to get to shoot sub-MOA routinely. My third has 20 rounds on it, so no opinion on that one yet. There was a post here recently about a guy who got a brand new, rusted one...but stuff happens from most major manufacturers.

I would consider WC to be one of the better mid-tier brands on AR barrels (not high end IMO).

I would probably look into getting something spun up from Compass Lake or Craddock if you were serious about long-range competition with an AR. They have a large fan base for a reason.

Reactions: ranger0787
I have three WC barrels, two of which aren't hard to get to shoot sub-MOA routinely. My third has 20 rounds on it, so no opinion on that one yet. There was a post here recently about a guy who got a brand new, rusted one...but stuff happens from most major manufacturers.

I would consider WC to be one of the better mid-tier brands on AR barrels (not high end IMO).

I would probably look into getting something spun up from Compass Lake or Craddock if you were serious about long-range competition with an AR. They have a large fan base for a reason.
I have not heard of compass lake, one local guy recommended Ballistic Advantage

I have a wc 223 wylde barrel and it’s shooting the 73eldm very well.

I have not heard of compass lake, one local guy recommended Ballistic Advantage
Say no to BA. No offense as I’ve seen some that shoot but hard pass if you are serious about a good shooting barrel.

Compass Lake or Craddock will be cream of the crop and best guarantee of a good shooter. After that Proof, Kreiger, Lilja, Wilson combat, Rainier Ultramatch, Criterion, X caliber, etc…. Most of these are fantastic to good barrels.

Say no to BA. No offense as I’ve seen some that shoot but hard pass if you are serious about a good shooting barrel.

Compass Lake or Craddock will be cream of the crop and best guarantee of a good shooter. After that Proof, Kreiger, Lilja, Wilson combat, Rainier Ultramatch, Criterion, X caliber, etc…. Most of these are fantastic to good barrels.
What about Faxon? I am trying to keep it under $400.00ish as I have not shot prs in a semi-auto platform before.

What about Faxon? I am trying to keep it under $400.00ish as I have not shot prs in a semi-auto platform before.

I have never ran one. I have started to but see too many mixed reviews on them so can’t make myself try them, kinda like BA.
You can get a Rainier Ultramatch for 400. They do shoot and have a 90 day money back or warranty no questions asked that is hard to beat for trying a barrel. They are on sale until the 7th 10% off with code SUMMERSLAM. I have owned two that were good shooters especially for the cost.

I have never ran one. I have started to but see too many mixed reviews on them so can’t make myself try them, kinda like BA.
You can get a Rainier Ultramatch for 400. They do shoot and have a 90 day money back or warranty no questions asked that is hard to beat for trying a barrel. They are on sale until the 7th 10% off with code SUMMERSLAM. I have owned two that were good shooters especially for the cost.
I was just looking through some options and found Deadshot Barrels, I have not personally heard anything about them.

I was just looking through some options and found Deadshot Barrels, I have not personally heard anything about them.
Stick with the known, especially for your first build. You don’t want to get aggravated on your first rifle (any honestly but I understand experimenting) and build one that you know will shoot. I can vouch, the extra money you don’t want to spend on a quality barrel is far cheaper than the ammo & time trying to get one to shoot!

Getting the right gas system length in relation to the barrel length is important. A good barrel with the wrong gas system could be regrettable, even if you found a killer deal. Bolt/BCG selection would be next critical decision.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Proof Research 6.5 Creed SS barrel, Toolcraft 6.5 Creedmoor dual ejector, small firing pin .065" high pressure bolt carrier group. Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, Areo Precision ME5 enhanced upper and hand guard, a good aftermarket trigger around 2 to 3 lb area. ..and whatever muzzle brake ya like.
All readily available for immediate shipping. Example, Midway USA for the barrel, & Arm or Ally bolt carrier group...plus others.

Proof Research 6.5 Creed SS barrel, Toolcraft 6.5 Creedmoor dual ejector, small firing pin .065" high pressure bolt carrier group. Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, Areo Precision ME5 enhanced upper and hand guard, a good aftermarket trigger around 2 to 3 lb area. ..and whatever muzzle brake ya like.
All readily available for immediate shipping. Example, Midway USA for the barrel, & Arm or Ally bolt carrier group...plus others.

After Larry’s price gouging during covid especially on reloading components I can’t hardly support them anymore, and they use to be my one stop shop.

Ranier if you want your personal information turned over to the authorities.

After Larry’s price gouging during covid especially on reloading components I can’t hardly support them anymore, and they use to be my one stop shop.
I still buy from them if they have a sale and/or free shipping, or just have what I need in stock.
But have expanded to many other companies to get better prices.

Reactions: greg1147 and B Man
Is it me or has this become the weekly question? Good god, what has happened around here?!?

Ranier if you want your personal information turned over to the authorities.
And its getting worse by the day...with respect to politicians, judges, and companies and banks all working together to crush the 2nd ammendment. So messed up no one knows where legal is. Courts stopped or held up a few bad laws, and liberal legislators just pass a similar law a few days later. So I gave up on AR pistols and braces and turned them into 16" rifles with stocks. It's now hard to purchase a firearm of any kind as the state is now in charge and slow walking sales of all, after waiting 30 days, you have to reapply to see if you still want the firearm, and it could take many months to complete the background. Plus ya gotta purchase a permit with the sheriff and show him you are proficient with the handgun or long gun. Plus new laws every few weeks, mag ban did it pass the courts? Did the $125,000 fine pass and years in jail time pass? Let's see if we can out do California in suppressing the 2nd Ammendment, seems to be the new attitude of lawmakers.

And its getting worse by the day...with respect to politicians, judges, and companies and banks all working together to crush the 2nd ammendment. So messed up no one knows where legal is. Courts stopped or held up a few bad laws, and liberal legislators just pass a similar law a few days later. So I gave up on AR pistols and braces and turned them into 16" rifles with stocks. It's now hard to purchase a firearm of any kind as the state is now in charge and slow walking sales of all, after waiting 30 days, you have to reapply to see if you still want the firearm, and it could take many months to complete the background. Plus ya gotta purchase a permit with the sheriff and show him you are proficient with the handgun or long gun. Plus new laws every few weeks, mag ban did it pass the courts? Did the $125,000 fine pass and years in jail time pass? Let's see if we can out do California in suppressing the 2nd Ammendment, seems to be the new attitude of lawmakers.
Where the hell do you live?

Where the hell do you live?
Liberal left coast, each state is trying to out do the other in new almost weekly gun control laws...I can not tell what is actually law..I believe the AR has been outlawed for new sales, or purchase, resale in WA, If you own it you can keep it, but you can not, sell, transfer, or give it to a relative when you die, the AR dies with you and must be destroyed...or turn in... AR parts? Ghost guns? Magazines,? Huge fines and jail times ? One law after another seems to have passed but may have a court stoppage for review...it's like that weekly. The legislature should be on recess, soon...maybe the courts will block some of these laws..most all these new laws have passed in 1 yr, and many more than mentioned, many have become law, a few have court challenges, others, no one knows.
But "no" hard drug is "really" illegal...so there is that...even a low level seller who had a bag of deadly pills and $10,000 cash on him, was charged & released, with 36 prior arrests. I assume authorities kept his cash...as a "business partner" type of arrangement.

Stay away from faxon barrels unless you're primary objective is light weight. Even then, I've got a 16" big gunner barrel and it seems like the chamber likes to grab onto cases and not let go.

The SLR detent adjustable gas blocks are my go to. Slap it on a proof barrel and a JP BCG and SCS system and you're going to have a smooth cycling gun. I'm partial to PWS FSC brakes if I'm not running a suppressor

I recently built a 6.5CM using a 24" x-caliber barrel that I am very pleased with. Also used a superlative arms agb. I'm still working up loads for it, but have a couple of loads that shoot at or below 1/2 moa. As far as a brake, I'm running a can with a qd, so no help there.

Reactions: drewthebrave