• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor bullet for short throat?

dawson08

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2012
West Virginia
I have a AR10 with a Rainer barrel. Apparently it was throated short because it jams 143 Eld-Xs into the lands. I’m going to drop to a lighter bullet now anyway so what are the BEST precision 6.5 bullets that can be loaded shorter? So far I’ve only been suggested the Berger 130gr AR Hybrid OTM.

140 berger hybrid is often used with Creedmoors that are .040" shorter than saami. The 130 AR hybrid, while I'm sure it will work for you will run into the lands sooner as the ogive sits farther forward.

You havent given us enough info to help you. Are we talking about 143 ELD-X factory ammo jammed into the lands???

If we are talking about that bullet in your handloads, what was your COAL for these rounds?

While 140 ELD shoot great in my various 6.5cm semis, I prefer these bullets.

130 AR Hybrid
130 ELD-M
123 Lapua Scenar

You havent given us enough info to help you. Are we talking about 143 ELD-X factory ammo jammed into the lands???

If we are talking about that bullet in your handloads, what was your COAL for these rounds?

While 140 ELD shoot great in my various 6.5cm semis, I prefer these bullets.

130 AR Hybrid
130 ELD-M
123 Lapua Scenar
Yes this was factory ammo but i also loaded 60 rounds to the same length 2.800. So I’m not sure how much I’ll have to push them back exactly but it will probably be somewhere in the 2.750-2.780 area

Pull the barrel and have your smith add a few thou with a 6.5 finishing reamer. Or call rainier and ask which dim. Reamer was used or if that's normal for your particular barrel.

Something is wrong. I'd call Rainier before doing anything. I've had 10+ 6.5cm semi barrels and all hit lands in the 2.83-2.85 range

140 berger vld or hybrid. My 6.5s are built with .160 freebore reamers specifically to run vld bullets at mag length

Something is wrong. I'd call Rainier before doing anything. I've had 10+ 6.5cm semi barrels and all hit lands in the 2.83-2.85 range
I called them a second time and added pictures to a email and they sent me a return label for the whole rifle. Saying most likely it was reamed too short

I'm a fan of the 123 SMK. They shoot lights out for me even with a barrel that's toast. They also don't require a long throat to load, by any means.

I've got 3,500 rounds on the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel (and I haven't been kind to it, I was shooting 147's at 2900 fps) and my load with 123 SMK's still shoots about half MOA at 3110 fps even after the ELD-M's and Bergers won't shoot anymore.