• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk 6.5 creedmoor bullet weight for prs.

Face

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
I shot 140 eldm last year. I have read that some people are going lighter and faster. I am curious if anyone has had success with the lighter bullets going faster or if everyone is staying 140 grain bullet?

I built my 18" 6.5 specifically to shoot 123s. I get slightly over 2900 with them. But the 143EDL-X shoots the best groups and has slightly better windage while only going 2600. If it boils down to smaller groups vs speed, I always go for smaller groups.

I built my 18" 6.5 specifically to shoot 123s. I get slightly over 2900 with them. But the 143EDL-X shoots the best groups and has slightly better windage while only going 2600. If it boils down to smaller groups vs speed, I always go for smaller groups.
I agree. I was curious as to if one could tell a difference in recoil while shooting positional.

I often hear people say that BC rules. So 140 grain is the standard for long range for a reason. However I've got a new 6.5 x 47 and I'm going to run norma 130 diamonds at around 2900 feet per second if all works out well. My goal is to be a little flatter in the 300 to 700 yard range where most of my targets are found. I have yet to run the numbers to see how wind will be.

But I suspect past that point I will be holding a little bit more wind than if I would have went with a slower 140 grain projectile. It's a classic pros and cons scenario, so I will have to see what happens. As for recoil, it's velocity vs mass. If shooting 130's at 2800 ish, it would likely be less. But if going faster, the rationale in lighter projectiles often, it could likely be same as a slower 140 gr projectile.

Reactions: SAMR
I'm running the Berger AR Hybrid 130gr bullets at about 2900 fps in 24" barrel. I could push them faster but don't really see the need to as they are very accurate.

I've shot 140 Berger Hybrids at 2800 fps the past two years but will be try 130 ELD-M. Will be testing the load this weekend with hopes to use it at a February match. Just running the numbers, 2950 + benefits the 130 ELD-M but I'll see if it translate to match performance.

Where are you getting the 130 grain norma golden target bullets?

Have run 140s since I started using the Creedmoor in matches in 2008. Has always worked well. Only other bullet I use is the 147 ELDs. No issues with recoil.

Where are you getting the 130 grain norma golden target bullets?

Midway last year. They sporadically have them in stock it seems. I have not found a lot of online sources for these projectiles yet.

Elevation is science, wind is voodoo.
Higher BC of heavier bullets puts the wind advantage where you need it. The elevation gain at mid-range is a losing trade off to more forgiveness on wind calls in my book.
10-20gr lighter at a higher speed=a wash in felt recoil.

Reactions: OLD308 and Rob01
When the ELD 140’s were hard to find last spring I shot the 130’s for a bit (probably 1500 rounds). Was moving them at 3000fps which is fairly warm. I did notice a more snappy recoil but it wasn’t unmanageable. Ended up back with the 140’s when they were back in stock. Depends on your setup also...running a chassis with a weight kit? Or something lighter?

I’m interested in what’s working for everyone when my 6.5 is ready. I’ll probably start at 147 and work down. I think I read 150 are coming?

I’m interested in what’s working for everyone when my 6.5 is ready. I’ll probably start at 147 and work down. I think I read 150 are coming?

147 ELDs work great as do the 140s. There are 150s out now from Sierra.

Don't think so. For factory the 147 or 140 ELDs work very good.

140 bthp - no need to spend money- hole in hole in hole- american gunner you will thank me- make ZERO sense but they out shoot or match any shelf bullet-proof is in hole in hole in hole

A 140 hybrid @ 2750 vs a 130 hybrid @ 2900 vs a 123 scenar @ 3050 all have about the same windage and recoil, and are all easy to tune. The 123's work well with a wide range of powders like 8208, Varget, H4350, and RL16, where the heavy bullets really don't get much velocity with 8208 / Varget. If you already have a good load with the 140's I wouldn't change it in search of an advantage. The only way to really decrease recoil is to use less powder and make less pressure, or switch to a 6mm.

140 Berger Hybrids @ 2750 fps gets me 0.25-0.4MOA groups on the regular. The Bergers seem to be more consistent than the Hornady ELDM 140s for me, but both are great bullets.

I’ve been running the 123ELDm @ 2950 23 inch barrel and had great success especially 3-800 yards but when it starts stretching 1000 and beyond they really start showing the lack of wind resistance compared to a 140gr class bullet. But overall I enjoy running this setup very accurate setup.