• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor bump gauge

Re: 6.5 creedmoor bump gauge

Well I hate to say it, but if you can get close, as is hitting centered on the shoulder, you can get a "relationship" reading so you can see how hard your sizing die is hitting it. For some cases, even a fired 40 S&W case will work.

Fw707 thank you! If I understand that thread right? The #30 comparator will work for a bump die for 6.5?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kolkio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I hate to say it, but if you can get close, as is hitting centered on the shoulder, you can get a "relationship" reading so you can see how hard your sizing die is hitting it. For some cases, even a fired 40 S&W case will work. </div></div>

This is what I use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fw707 thank you! If I understand that thread right? The #30 comparator will work for a bump die for 6.5? </div></div>

Yes.
It'll give you a <span style="text-decoration: underline">reference</span> measurement to show how much you've bumped your shoulder back.
It works on my 6.5x47L, so it should work the same on your CM.

The thanks goes to Seth8541, but I'll take credit for passing it on!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kolkio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I hate to say it, but if you can get close, as is hitting centered on the shoulder, you can get a "relationship" reading so you can see how hard your sizing die is hitting it. For some cases, even a fired 40 S&W case will work. </div></div>

I'm not sure what this means??

FW707 Thank you I got the gauge ordered through Sinclair. They confirmed the right part number and I'm all set up!

uncle

With some ctgs. a un-primed pistol case can act as a gauge. 40s&w will work for any of the 308 based cases (yes I know here we are talking 6.5 but same principle). The datum line on the 308 is .400 the same as a 40s&w case. Take a fired 308 slip a 40s&w over it and measure with a dial caliper. Then size that case and remeasure. That's your bump.

i used my rcbs 308 case mic with a shim added to the mic and it works great.

Well I think some try to over complicate it. We're not really interested in "the" number, we are interested in the relationship between two numbers - fired and bumped. This is easy stuff. As long as you can get a measurement twice at the same point on the shoulder - your likely good. You can make your own "bump" gauges with different id. copper tubing and a little homework. It is also a good way to check the rifle's head-space/case growth, measure a new case, then measure a fired case. This is not magic - its math.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kolkio</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We're not really interested in "the" number, we are interested in the relationship between two numbers - fired and bumped. </div></div>

Exactly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kolkio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With some ctgs. a un-primed pistol case can act as a gauge. 40s&w will work for any of the 308 based cases (yes I know here we are talking 6.5 but same principle). The datum line on the 308 is .400 the same as a 40s&w case. Take a fired 308 slip a 40s&w over it and measure with a dial caliper. Then size that case and remeasure. That's your bump.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kolkio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I think some try to over complicate it. We're not really interested in "the" number, we are interested in the relationship between two numbers - fired and bumped. This is easy stuff. As long as you can get a measurement twice at the same point on the shoulder - your likely good. You can make your own "bump" gauges with different id. copper tubing and a little homework. It is also a good way to check the rifle's head-space/case growth, measure a new case, then measure a fired case. This is not magic - it's math.</div></div>

thanks for the explanation