• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor cleaning with Butch's bore shine and other questions related to it

Rude Robert

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2011
CA
Hi I went out this past weekend on a Prairie dog hunt and had lots of fun. I used a bore snake to do a quick clean on it, thinking I would shoot it for my second day of dog hunting. I ended up just using the Ar15 in 223 instead. I don't know if I need special cleaning tools for the 6.5 or not, but after I arrived home I tried to use the bore shine on it and I couldn't find anything that I could use to run into the bore other than just running a patch in the barrel to coat the inside of the bore. I had to revert back to the bore snake(I have two, one I don't like so I used that one), then I used the better one to reclean it. What are you guys using to clean your bores with. I tried looking at this forum under the search and nothing comes up. With the other rifles when I use the bore shine I have to be careful not to break the rods as it gets a bit tight in there when trying to clean out the bore shine, if I am making any sense? Not sure of all the names for the cleaning parts but nothing in my cleaning kits would work for me to run the cleaning patch when trying to clean the bore shine out. Thanks for all the help on this.

A quality one piece cleaning rod, nylon brushes, brass jags with cotton patches. Use your favorite carbon/copper solvent.

There is a lot of dogma about cleaning barrels so hold on, this could go for a ride...

Can someone post a link to the latest thread.

It’ll be a waste to rehash it lol

1693946486437.gif

Reactions: ToddM and 37L1
Hi I went out this past weekend on a Prairie dog hunt and had lots of fun. I used a bore snake to do a quick clean on it, thinking I would shoot it for my second day of dog hunting. I ended up just using the Ar15 in 223 instead. I don't know if I need special cleaning tools for the 6.5 or not, but after I arrived home I tried to use the bore shine on it and I couldn't find anything that I could use to run into the bore other than just running a patch in the barrel to coat the inside of the bore. I had to revert back to the bore snake(I have two, one I don't like so I used that one), then I used the better one to reclean it. What are you guys using to clean your bores with. I tried looking at this forum under the search and nothing comes up. With the other rifles when I use the bore shine I have to be careful not to break the rods as it gets a bit tight in there when trying to clean out the bore shine, if I am making any sense? Not sure of all the names for the cleaning parts but nothing in my cleaning kits would work for me to run the cleaning patch when trying to clean the bore shine out. Thanks for all the help on this.
I don’t understand when you say you couldn’t find anything to use to run into the bore.

You mean you couldn’t find anything among the stuff you already own or…..???

Coated rods, jags, and brushes that will fit a .264 bore are ubiquitous. Personally, I like Bore Tech products but Dewey or Tipton are also very good brands.

Just my opinion from using bore snakes for years in clay target shotguns…but I don’t think they’re worth a dang for rifle barrels.

For the love of God, GI Joe, and John Wayne

I seen the above statement but I wasn't sure what was meant by that. Are you telling me that this is discussed under that topic.

Okay I will stop using the bore snake. I have several cleaning kits but I never actually bought something specific for the 6.5. I will now look for .264 or something for the 6.5 for sure. I was just under thinking that something in my kit would have been for that caliber, this coming weekend for sure. I remember when nylon brushes started coming out or when I first started to see them. It didn't seem like they worked very good. I know that in the last 20 years they probably have become better and I see some people are using them. I just have brass brushes, perhaps I will buy some more of those too. Thank you for all of your help, I am going to look for that for the love of God and Gi Joe...and see what is in there.

Okay I will stop using the bore snake. I have several cleaning kits but I never actually bought something specific for the 6.5. I will now look for .264 or something for the 6.5 for sure. I was just under thinking that something in my kit would have been for that caliber, this coming weekend for sure. I remember when nylon brushes started coming out or when I first started to see them. It didn't seem like they worked very good. I know that in the last 20 years they probably have become better and I see some people are using them. I just have brass brushes, perhaps I will buy some more of those too. Thank you for all of your help, I am going to look for that for the love of God and Gi Joe...and see what is in there.
A coated Dewey rod (or similar) in 22 caliber is what you need for 6.5, you just put a 6.5 jag on it. Use the same rod on your 223 AR. Bore snakes are trash.

Reactions: Baron23