• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor for deer

Klemm

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I have a stock Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor . Seems to really like the Hornaday 140 grain BTHP factory ammo. Going to start to reload for it looking for a bullet choice for deer out to about 600 yards. Thinking eld-x.

Then yeah, 143 ELD-X should be a great choice. It’s not the right bullet for close-in shots though.

The 140gr HPBT will kill a whitetail with ease, just put the bullet where it should go.

140gr ELD-M works well and has killed thousands of deer at this point,. but the Berger 140gr Elite Hunter would be my go-to for a 'do everything' bullet since I personally dislike having 'hunting loads' and 'target loads'.

140 bthp at about 100 yards drt like someone cut strings. My buddy has shot then with 95 vmax all the way up to 147 eldm. Deer don't take much to drop

Attachments

• 20211113_071804.jpg
    20211113_071804.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Then yeah, 143 ELD-X should be a great choice. It’s not the right bullet for close-in shots though.
My experience says otherwise. Between my kid and myself we have several under 50yds. Closest being probably 15yds. Absolutely destroyed the heart and lungs.

My experience says otherwise. Between my kid and myself we have several under 50yds. Closest being probably 15yds. Absolutely destroyed the heart and lungs.
Nice to hear it. Did you get an exit wound?

It didn't. It was caught in the offside hide. It must have been pretty violent expansion though. Because it blew bits of lungs back out the entrance hole.

It didn't. It was caught in the offside hide. It must have been pretty violent expansion though. Because it blew bits of lungs back out the entrance hole.
Ok, good to know. OP, sorry, didn’t mean to imply you can’t kill deer with them at close range, but it’s a quick-expanding bullet with the design compromises that come with that. Agreed with others that just about anything will kill North American deer haha

Certainly 6.5 C can get a deer. Rob Arrington from deermeatfordinner brought down a Canadian moose at some distance using his Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor using Hornady 143 grain ELD-X. With one shot placed correctly. The moose was quartering away, presenting the right side. So, it could get a deer. In Texas, with some drawn hunts from TPWD, you need at least a .270 and this would work.

I’ve killed deer (does) with my 17hmr. Don’t usually do that but I have before.
Easily done. In Texas, where I hunt on public land, the rule is that whitetail hunting is done with archery, shotgun with slug rounds, or centerfire. And on their drawn hunts, which is a lottery system and if you win a hunt, you don't have to use one of your deer tags from your annual hunting permit, then you need to shoot, if using centerfire, at least a .270 Win. It used to be .243 Win. I like to think of 6.5 Creedmoor as 270 with some ambition.

17 Hammer can work and there are some people, on private land, trying to hunt with air rifles. I think that would require close range.

Just like, if I want hunt deer with my Mossberg 590A1 SPC and slugs, I should be within archery distance. Mine is sighted dead on at 25 yards. So, I could either hold or dial up the rear sight to go farther. Where I hunt, for a slug shot, the clearest distance is 30 yards, no need for adjustment. But, with my rifle, I can shoot between the trees and reach out as far as 75 yards, 50 yards average.

On private land, you could use whatever you want. Even .223 Rem, which is centerfire, just not a lot of mass. You would need to shoot a varmint round, not an FMJ,

Two years ago the first year I hunted with the 6.5 Creedmoor I used 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullets and I'm 3 shots for 3 deer.

Reactions: Ronws
I’ve taken numerous deer with the 140 amax close in. 100yds. And the deer get planted.

Last edited:
I think shot placement is always important. Bow hunters prove that. So, I say, pick a rifle you can handle well and achieve accuracy.

The 143 eldx is a great proven bullet for the creed this year I’m going to try the new 156 Berger’s all I need now is a deer to cooperate and I’ll post the results

Reactions: Ronws
375yds. Slightly quartering away. Bullet entered front chest just in front of the shoulder and excited just behind the last rib in the off side. It absolutely destroyed the lungs.

20211120_082620.jpg

The 143 eldx is a great proven bullet for the creed this year I’m going to try the new 156 Berger’s all I need now is a deer to cooperate and I’ll post the results
I know how you feel. I went hunting this morning. Onn public land and plenty of other people out there. So, really, it's me wearing a backpack and carrying my .308 and not seeing any deer. Like Paul Harrel said, you need to be where the deer are.

I've killed Whitetail with tons of different bergers. From 105 hybrid at 475, 130 hybrid at 508 (180lb buck dropped dead as a shit hammer), 210 vlds at 80 yards, and a 215 hybrid at 120 yards. All dead.