• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor giving me fits in an AR10

JimmyT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
A little help requested from the gurus.

My upper is an Aero precision with 18” BA barrel and an adjustable gas block. BCG is a Lantac with aero high pressure bolt.
Have completed many OCW worups with 130 grain TMKs, 123 grain ELD match and 130 grain hybrid ar bullets.
One trip looks good on paper and not able to repete on the next trip. Many loads shooting MOA at 100 yards really opening up to 2-4 MOA at 200 yards.

Do I just need to clean the rifle and start over?

I’ve had 2 of those barrels, one 6.5 Creed and one 308 Win, both had the same issue your having. Changed barrels from different manufacturer; problem solved. That’s just my experience with BA. Others I know, have had good success with those barrels.

That was the direction I was leaning, but want to try and eliminate all other possibilities first.

How much experience with an AR10 do you have?

Everybody runs around spending 100s or even 1000s of $$$ on parts trying to chase down the problem because they shoot well with an AR15 and can't believe shooting an AR10 isn't the same thing.

I have a LaRue PredatOBR and a Straightjacket Barreled Frankenrifle, both in.308, that I shoot very well.

For as many 6.5 Creedmoor BA barrels I see shooting sub MOA, I see 2-3 times as many shooting between about 1-1.5 MOA. I rarely see any worse than that.

In my opinion, the reason to get a 6.5 Creedmoor is to shoot sub MOA and long range so BA barrels fail at that for the most part.

In a .308, performance like that would be pretty much in line with the intent of a basic (not long range) large frame AR.

I'm putting together a spare budget upper for my Aero M5E1 build with a KAK Value Line 16" .308 barrel. I got it on sale for about $106, Melonite coated with threaded muzzle, cut from a Green Mountain blank. If it can shoot surplus 7.62*51 better than a BA can shoot 6.5 Creedmoor box ammo, my opinion of BA 6.5 Creedmoor barrels will be confirmed.

My shortlist on barrels is Noveske, Rainier Arms, or Wilson Combat to replace the BA. anyone have experience with these???

Take a look at Criterion, mine has been great. If I didn't already have three 6.5 Creedmoor barrels when Wilson Combat put their barrels on sale, I would have tried one.

Ranier seems expensive, but I don't know how they shoot.

Noveske is probably $$$, knowing their prices I've never looked.

I have several 6.5 caliber ar10/lr308 rifles
Could be a million things.
Maybe lap the face of the reciever, when reinstalling barrel either shim or easier yet use 609 retaining compound on barrel extension. Excess play will also cause said issue.
Also check your gas tube if this is binding it will cause inconsistent accuracy.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something however I hope this helps.

Ordered a Criterion 18" barrel, SLR adjustable gas block, and a new melonited gas tube for instalation by my gunsmith next week. I want to see how a new barrel works with Prime 130s and FGMM 130s to compare. At my last outing with the rifle it was doing 2-2.5 MOA groups with the Prime, and other rifles are a hammer wtih this ammo.