• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor H4350 or Superformance 143 ELDX reloading questions

bluejay75

PX Ranger
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2021
North Carolina
Greetings shooters,

Would you mind sharing your successes with 6.5 Creedmoor with H4350 or Superformance and a 143 ELDX.

I have been going back and forth on what path to go down. Not sure if I want to try to get hole in hole or shoot for a solid .75-1MOA load running faster than H4350 is capable of.

JB

I've seen both powders shoot really small groups ,but not with said bullet......never tried it or been around anyone that has .

42.0gr h4350 in Hornady brass. Set to .020 less than mag length. 1 hole 3 round group

6.5 CM is a over bore cartridge, the original loading was with H-4350 with a 147 Gr Hornady Bullet. Superformance is even slower burning than H -4350, thus a 147 Gr would be a better match for Superformace . 143 Gr is 2.72 % lighter than a 147, so a faster burning powder would be more appropriate with a 143 Gr bullet

6.5 CM is a over bore cartridge, the original loading was with H-4350 with a 147 Gr Hornady Bullet. Superformance is even slower burning than H -4350, thus a 147 Gr would be a better match for Superformace . 143 Gr is 2.72 % lighter than a 147, so a faster burning powder would be more appropriate with a 143 Gr bullet
The 6.5 Creed was introduced in 2007 with 120 and 140 AMAX bullets loaded with Varget (120gr) and H4350 (140 gr). The 147 bullet came almost exactly 10 years later.

The 6.5 Creed was introduced in 2007 with 120 and 140 AMAX bullets loaded with Varget (120gr) and H4350 (140 gr). The 147 bullet came almost exactly 10 years later.
You are correct but it’s still a over-bore cartridge with that said, with a heavier bullet weight and slower burning powder,would increase it’s efficiency and down range performance

Last edited:
What exactly do you think you would gain from slightly faster, less accurate, less consistent ammo?

Backed into the 143 ELDX when I purchased my RPR in 2017. Bullet has always shot really good groups. There are days when the 144 Berger hybrid can beat it but the group size comparison has to be measured with a good micrometer. I have tried a multitude of powders before settling on Superformance. In my rifle, a load of 44 grains of Superformance, a CCI 200 Primer and the ELDX will equal factory ballistics.

I have used H4350 in my other 6.5, but it was the one powder that I never tried in the RPR.

Overall, I have been very impressed with Superformance. Velocity is good, groups sizes are good and weather tolerance has been acceptable in North Louisiana and Northwest Florida where I normally shoot.

I have been very tempted to drag my RPR into a deer stand to try out the ELDX on game. But the little Weatherby .25-06 just shoots so good, and works so well in the stand, I hate to leave it behind.

Reactions: rockchalk06
What exactly do you think you would gain from slightly faster, less accurate, less consistent ammo?
Accuracy starts at the loading bench, a slightly faster burning powder with a liter weight bullet would provide lower flame temperatures in the chamber and throat. A heavier weight bullet and a slower burning powder will be very efficient because the powder will be more completely burned.

Accuracy starts at the loading bench, a slightly faster burning powder with a liter weight bullet would provide lower flame temperatures in the chamber and throat. A heavier weight bullet and a slower burning powder will be very efficient because the powder will be more completely burned.
The question was for the OP. The OP asked if he should try to get more velocity or better accuracy. That should probably be the first idea that gets run out of here. Accuracy over velocity basically always. I can't find where he asked about 147g Hornady air grenades either.

Flame temperature is determined by the powder. Some are higher and some are lower and that does not correlate to powder burn rate. Too fast of a powder spikes pressure too fast and too slow leaves unburned powder. A faster powder with a lighter bullet example, Varget and a 123, will give a more complete burn in the 6.5 Creedmoor than 140g and 4831SC. Not a huge deal but it heats up silencers very fast, and one shooter even reported the unburned powder in his can igniting and burning the strap on his magneto speed in half. That is melt your fingers hot.

A liter bullet is a lot of volume, but weight depends on what its filled with. We used to shoot two liter projectiles, that were very light once the propellant was expelled. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1668534260289.png

Reactions: Supersubes
Also, looking solely at the % difference in bullet weight does not necessarily correlate to a difference in pressure as described above. The length of the bearing surface and diameter has a larger effect. Obviously, heavier bullets often have longer bearing surfaces. However, there are bullets that shorter bearing surface than those of the same weight and can be pushed faster at equivalent pressure. The shorter bearing surface has less overall friction to overcome to accelerate. Just going off of the differences in weight doesn't tell the whole story.

Sometimes it's even possible for a heavier bullet to allow more powder behind them than a lighter one with longer bearing surface. The differences in length of the nose, boat-tail, etc. can allow this.

I am not sure you could characterize it as less accurate. Less consistent if you act like temp doesn’t matter. There are ways to adjust for more temp sensitive powders. Sup is 1.21 for temp sensitivity which is not great, not horrible. I have done well using cfe 223 which is like 2.72.

I am not sure you could characterize it as less accurate. Less consistent if you act like temp doesn’t matter. There are ways to adjust for more temp sensitive powders. Sup is 1.21 for temp sensitivity which is not great, not horrible. I have done well using cfe 223 which is like 2.72.
I am going to refer you back to posts 1, and 13.

The point being that just because it is said does not make it truth incarnate.
Not sure if I want to try to get hole in hole or shoot for a solid .75-1MOA load running faster than H4350 is capable of.

See also definition of "context."

Not sure if I want to try to get hole in hole or shoot for a solid .75-1MOA load running faster than H4350 is capable of.

See also definition of "context."
Ah. So, I am just not sure if I want to drive to Dallas or Middle Earth.
The context is an assumption that is not necessarily factually based. But, what the heck. Not worth arguing. Have a great day.

My 143 Superformance load is 46.0 CCI SRM Lapua SRP brass. No pressure signs. FYI don't start with this load. Work up.

I have 2 good loads in my Tikka T3x compact 6.5cm 20" worked up so far in 143 ELDX. H4350 41.2gn at 2.80" MV of 2565, groups 0.5" or 42.3gn at 2.953" MV of 2635, group size 0.30". Some load manuals say the 42.3 is over max also My lands location may be different than yours so keep that in mind.

I would agree if you have the choice between the two go heavy towards the h4350 you'll need far less to find a desired effect . and while I have found it near impossible to pass on any powder I have found , so far and keeping your self open to using other powders so you never run out is always a good thing . I really am not fond of powders that feel anemic and slow ( just a me thing ) I want to use less and get more .

Last edited:
Reactions: Devildog
41.5gr h4350 with a 143 eldx and lapua brass has proven exceptionally accurate in my ATX.

I'm running h4350 with 143ELDx in my 20" proof barreled hunting rifle. It shoots pretty well at 2670fps.
Screenshot_20230429_190927.jpg