• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Ideal Barrel Length

408s10

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2014
Hello guys just was wondering what the ideal barrel length would be for the Creed. I was thinking of a 28" barrel. Is this smart or should I stick with a 26". I am going to run 140 grain berger VLD Hybrid's. Thanks guys !

FYI length of the barrel will be 99% determined by the intended use - not the caliber or cartridge.

Shoulda-coulda-woulda gets blown out of water with successful 16.5" WinMags as well as 32" 223s ....

Intended use will will be long range target shooting.

Yes, but in a field setting or on a square range 10 yds from the car? Portable/handy or bench? That's the question asked above. FWIW, i've got a 22" 6.5CM that does quite well out to 1200 or 1300 with 140 class bullets.

26" is ideal for the creedmoor in my opinion. i have and built quite a few. you get all the cartridge has to offer at 26" i think. i have never seen a short barreled rifle at a tac/sniper type match even though many rave about short barrels.

Reactions: Mike59
The round was developed around a 28" barrel. I ran one for a few years and had no problems using it at sniper comps getting in and out of tight spaces. I had it set back and now it's 26.5".

I would say stay in at least the 24-26" range to get the most out of the round without having to push it very hard. If you ware worried about weight/balance then you can always use a lighter contour barrel.

You can always cut a barrel down if you find it too long but if you go short and find yourself lacking you can't add on barrel length.

I went 24" on my 6.5 Creedmoor and run it with an Allen Engineering suppressor. I didn't want too long a barrel for balance reasons when running the suppressor. I'm very happy with the setup and wouldn't change it. Velocity affects trajectory. Decide how far you realistically want to shoot the rifle. I'm getting to 1000 with ~31 MOA (depending on conditions) dialed into the scope using factory Hornady 140-grain.

We've built dedicated light-weight hunting rifles with 18" barrels and those shoot as well as longer barrels just with more of a trajectory arc especially at distance.

Bottom line, I don't think there is a "one correct answer" for "ideal" barrel length. You need to define "ideal" and "long range" I guess. If it is just target shooting, a longer barrel will help increase velocity.

Best regards,

Mark

I am new here and was about to ask/post the same question...............glad I found this! Great information and helped me prevent a barrel choice mistake!