• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Muzzle Break Recommendations

Donelson Precision

Donelson Precision
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2023
Cameron, MO
Hello all! I am new to the PRS this year. I am shooting the production class with my Howa 1500 APC in a 6.5 Creedmoor. It has been shooting phenomenal, the problem is the recoil. The gun itself loaded out with the one piece mount from MDT and Athlon Optics Ares ETR 4.5-30x56, it still is weighing in under 17 pounds. I plan to add more weight but the forend of the factory chassis will only support so much. I currently am running the Precision Armament Hypertap Muzzle Brake. It has really helped in keeping my shoulder in the game and not beating the heck out of me. I am having a heck of a time staying on target with the recoil to spot my splash. In my last match I was squadded with 4 others who were also running a 6.5. The one who stood out the most for barely any recoil was a man who was running a Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro with the 3 chamber Sidewinder from Area 419 from factory. I was also recommended the Ace Brake. One other in my squad had a custom 6.5 creed in a foundation stock weighing 20+ pounds with the Ace Brake on it. His Muzzle was moving around much more than mine even does. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 6.5 Creed on positional shooting and what Brake works best with the recoil to stay on target and spot the splash.

I have heard nothing but good things about the area 419 hell fire break . I still like my fat bastard break I love it .
I know that some people complain about the concussion from the Hellfire. But they don't complain about the effectiveness it has on staying on target to spot trace and splash. I know the Ace Brake has little to no concussion, but from what I've witnessed, it doesn't make the gun shoot as flat as the Sidewinder. Which assuming the Hellfire Match does the same if not better..

Reactions: acudaowner
brakes are a trade off

90 degree ports. less blast/concussion at the shooter
angled ports. more effective brake

angled ports
Hellfire Match and Sidewinder are both 4 port. regular hellfire 3. they have a 2p as well
TMB 4 port
APA gen 3 fat bastard 4 port

90 degree ports
heathen (3, 4, and 5 port options)
ACE
Hawkins

that precision armament is probably an okay brake but the ones above will be better. especially the angled port options

there's more to recoil management and seeing splash than just a brake though. a rear heavy gun even with the best brake will perform differently than a balanced/slightly front heavy gun with the same brake (regardless of total weight). then add in the shooter on top.

I've tried many brakes including the APA Fat Bastard, but it is NOT a "self-timing" brake and I could never get it to stay tight (would come loose during matches). Went back to Area 419 Hellfire Match and love it...A true self-timing brake.

I use apa little bastard 4 port with the top ports. It is pretty good. With a 14 lb 6.5 CM I can see impacts and misses as close as 300 yards. Curtis Custom Weapons in Missouri has a brake with really aggressive top ports that we have had good luck with as well.

I have tried 419 sidewinder, pva jetblast, apa, and the ones from Curtis Custom Weapons and the 2 above are noticeably better than the rest for seeing what is happening downrange. The jetblast is pretty good and also keeps the concussion away from the shooter. I always have headaches from the concussion off of the apa, especially after the 2nd day of a 2 day match.

Proper fundamentals and recoil management have a lot to do with what you can see. Also, try to get the gun to balance in front of the magwell. It takes a lot more shoulder pressure to manage recoil if the gun is ass heavy.

All the top brakes are close. It’s gonna depend on how your gun is set up. The most important thing as others have said is getting one that doesn’t beat you as the shooter up. I think the heathen 3 port is the most gentle on me. But the ACE has better recoil mitigation at a small increase in concussion on the shooter. i feel like the area 419s would wear me out at a 2 day match. Also recently tried the enabler from axis works. Mitigation was great but on my rifle the Ace was flatter.

I’m running the 419 hellfire match on my 308 and 6.5 cm. Nothing I have found can beat them, I even tried the tmb and gave it to my son to run on his 6br.

For a 6.5 creed by far my favourite is the Insite Heathen 4 ports (also a favourite of my wife) but I never shot the terminator brake. I’ll probably try a terminator for my 7-300 PRC build but I was also very impressed with the Cadex MX1 brake on a 338LM.

After taking into account blast direction and blast width, ease of cleaning without removal, ease of leveling, and my preference for non-self timing, I went with a three chamber brake from 4AW.

I have no experience with any other brake design.

-Stan

Hello all! I am new to the PRS this year. I am shooting the production class with my Howa 1500 APC in a 6.5 Creedmoor. It has been shooting phenomenal, the problem is the recoil. The gun itself loaded out with the one piece mount from MDT and Athlon Optics Ares ETR 4.5-30x56, it still is weighing in under 17 pounds. I plan to add more weight but the forend of the factory chassis will only support so much. I currently am running the Precision Armament Hypertap Muzzle Brake. It has really helped in keeping my shoulder in the game and not beating the heck out of me. I am having a heck of a time staying on target with the recoil to spot my splash. In my last match I was squadded with 4 others who were also running a 6.5. The one who stood out the most for barely any recoil was a man who was running a Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro with the 3 chamber Sidewinder from Area 419 from factory. I was also recommended the Ace Brake. One other in my squad had a custom 6.5 creed in a foundation stock weighing 20+ pounds with the Ace Brake on it. His Muzzle was moving around much more than mine even does. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 6.5 Creed on positional shooting and what Brake works best with the recoil to stay on target and spot the splash.
I've ran the Sidewinder, APA Fat Bastard (good luck getting it to stay tight), the Hellfire Match (love it), and have ended up on the MPA DN5, which is the best brake I've ran so far. There is very little muzzle rise with the DN5 and recoil mitigation is better than the Hellfire Match, which I loved and ran for a long time. Just my 0.02.

As some have already mentioned, how your gun is setup as far as weight/balnce matters a lot more than what you've got hanging off the end of your muzzle.

Last edited:
have ended up on the MPA DN5
I bought one of these a couple of months ago, but still haven't shot it. I'm guessing the concussion is substantial?

Also, is your DN5 machined well? The one I received is poorly machined, inside & out.

Sorry to derail OP, but these are too new for there to be any reviews/discussion

I've been VERY impressed with my A419 Hellfire, and the fact that I can swap back and forth with my can has always been a plus.
MY ONLY complaint, is I wish it had a "flat" to set a level on or some kind of indicator to make it repeatable when I swap back and forth instead of just eye ball it...but whatever.

For you IG boyz, this is factory 147 Match...and it was my first experience with with a muzzle break ever. Prior to this rifle, i had never used a brake in my life.