• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Neck tension

Martin Dimitrov

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2022
Bulgaria
Hello i am new to reloading and need some help. I reload 6.5 Creedmoor with "Redding Type S Bushing Neck Die". I use Bushing size .288 without redding expander button i get 0.010" of neck tension. Accuracy is very good. When i attach redding expander button i get 0.003" neck tension. Is 0.010" of neck tension too much and should i use Expander buttton. Thank you!

With a .288 bushing you should not be getting .010 neck tension, how are you measuring and coming up with
this and what brass.

Martin,
W/O your location in your profile I'll just say that you , like most of us have weather that is not very conducive to going to the range , so you spend your time reading about the 6.5 ?
So , a few questions ;
1. What brass are you using ?
2. What is a case's neck wall thickness ?
3. What are sized case's OD at the case mouth and just above the neck/ shoulder junction with and W/O the expander ball ?
4. What weapon [rifle] are you reloading for ? Please include your "optics"

Martin,
W/O your location in your profile I'll just say that you , like most of us have weather that is not very conducive to going to the range , so you spend your time reading about the 6.5 ?
So , a few questions ;
1. What brass are you using ?
2. What is a case's neck wall thickness ?
3. What are sized case's OD at the case mouth and just above the neck/ shoulder junction with and W/O the expander ball ?
4. What weapon [rifle] are you reloading for ? Please include your "optics"
1. Brass are RWS
2. Wall thickness is 0.016
3. Size wihtout Expander Ball- At case mouth 0.286" and above the soulder is 0.285"
Size with Expander Ball - At case mouth 0.290" and above the soulder is also 0.290"
4. Rifle is Howa 26" Varmint Barrel, Scope is Leupold Mark 4 8.5x25.

There is an error somewhere, think about it a .288 bushing cant reduce brass to .285.

The bushing may be mislabeled.

Edit: I typically see a neck diameter of around 2.91 for loaded rounds so .292 is close and you
should be good there. What is the neck diameter of a fired case.

Last edited:
There is an error somewhere, think about it a .288 bushing cant reduce brass to .285.

The bushing may be mislabeled.

Edit: I typically see a neck diameter of around 2.91 for loaded rounds so .292 is close and you
should be good there. What is the neck diameter of a fired case.
Fired case is .296"

yep a little tight. go for 2-3 thou neck tension and you should be good to go.

2. Wall thickness is 0.016
3. Size wihtout Expander Ball- At case mouth 0.286" and above the soulder is 0.285"
Size with Expander Ball - At case mouth 0.290" and above the soulder is also 0.290"
4. Rifle is Howa 26" Varmint Barrel, Scope is Leupold Mark 4 8.5x25.
Redding bushings are hit and miss with their markings/actual size, buy LE wilson bushings in the future. .010 neck tension is way too much. Better to use an expander of some sort, so use the redding expander or better yet, an expander mandrel.

Fired case is .296"
.292 loaded to .296 fired is good so your only issue is that the .288 bushing is over sizing the neck, that
typically reduces case life but not always.

Either get a new bushing or use the expander to increase neck diameter.

Redding bushings are hit and miss with their markings/actual size, buy LE wilson bushings in the future. .010 neck tension is way too much. Better to use an expander of some sort, so use the redding expander or better yet, an expander mandrel.
He is in Bulgaria so dont know how easy procuring stuff is.

Reactions: Supersubes