• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor or .260 for next GAP build...

SURVIVORTYPE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2010
Denver, Colorado
I have had very good opinions and responses to a post before so I would like to ask another question to all the great people in the forum with more first hand knowledge than I.

From what I have been reading online about these calibers the differences seem marginal. My final decision would be based on opinions about why one should be chosen over the other. I am currently overseas so reloading is not possible for at least a few years but would like to get range time while I am home on r&r.

I am currently looking to add another rifle to the safe from GAP. I am torn between the .260, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle will be seeing more time at the range punching paper with an occasional whitetail/muley hunt. Factors that have been swaying my decision include barrel life, ammo cost, lethality for humane kills, effective range and caliber outlook for the long haul.

Also from owners, what barrel length would be recommended.

Originally I wanted the 6.5-284 Norma but the short barrel life really turned me away from that caliber. When I am home I shoot, and shoot often.

Opinions from owners would be great, but of course all opinions are welcome. Thanks for lookin, and thanks in advance for posting.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 for next GAP build...

Fill out you profile then flip a coin. They use the same bullets at arounf the same speed and pressured so check brass availability in yout AO. Paper and deer hit by a 140 Amax won't be able to tell which chamber launched it.

This topic has been run into the ground many, many times. A quick search will reveal precisely what I state below:

If you aren't reloading yet, probably should go 6.5CM. As they spit out decent factory ammo most of the time. The .260 really has limited options, if any, right now for factory loads. Although you could buy from Dallas Reloads here on the Hide as well.

Go 24-26" barrel. Good velocities. Barrel life will depend if you keep shooting soft factory loads or start reloading hotter ones. I have a .260 and absolutely love it, but I also reload.

Have fun.

I recently had the same question. I chose the Creedmoor. Brass is now available (i bought 200 from Midway) and I found 500 140gr amax's to test.

They are basically the same monster. Barrel life, velocity and everything you asked for is basically the same.

Hornady offers the 120gr Amax and the 140gr Amax in factory loads. They also publish the load on the side of the box, so when you decide to reload, you can replicate the formula. (I think they use H4350)

Don't reload then go for the creed. Shoot the he'll out of it, and rebarrel to .260 when you get home.

Thanks for your service.

If you don't reload, there's match 6.5Creedmoor ammo from Hornady. If you do reload, then flip a coin. Not enough of a difference to make a difference.

There is a fine GAP 260 for sale on this site. Wish it had been for sale when I started long range tactical. Everything you need is available right now. No waiting. It will do fine past 1000 too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't reload then go for the creed. Shoot the he'll out of it, and rebarrel to .260 when you get home.

</div></div>

Why change when rebarreling? Once you shoot the Creedmoor and keep all the brass, you are miles ahead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't reload then go for the creed. Shoot the he'll out of it, and rebarrel to .260 when you get home.

</div></div>

Why change when rebarreling? Once you shoot the Creedmoor and keep all the brass, you are miles ahead. </div></div>

Good point.

Sell the Creedmore brass then rebarrel in .260.
wink.gif

Really either way, sounds like the creedmore is the thing to do now.

Damn tangodown, It's sure hard to get you .260 guys to give the Creedmoor credit lol.

SURVIVORTYPE, the Hornady match ammo for the Creedmoor is some awesome stuff and it's priced the same or better than .308 match loads. I know there's a lot of guys that are shooting it in competitions and having awesome results. Since your having GAP build it, it'll be a shooter, go with a 26" barrel which I'm sure they will say the same. GAP designed some of the original guns for the CM so when you decide to put your order in, they should be able to help you with anything that you haven't found on the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't reload then go for the creed. Shoot the he'll out of it, and rebarrel to .260 when you get home.

</div></div>

Why change when rebarreling? Once you shoot the Creedmoor and keep all the brass, you are miles ahead. </div></div>

Miles ahead of what??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't reload then go for the creed. Shoot the he'll out of it, and rebarrel to .260 when you get home.

</div></div>

Miles ahead of what?? </div></div>

Miles ahead of having to completely re-setup to reload for another cartridge.

My GAP 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 140 AMAX factory loads when switching from one lot to another. On right is 5 shot group of old lot and on left is 10 shot group of new lot. I have been happy with the GAP rifle and factory Creedmoor ammo over the past two years of competing with it.
P7080622.jpg

I would keep the barrel 24-26" for either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sell the Creedmore brass then rebarrel in .260.
wink.gif

</div></div>

Do what he said, then call me and make me a killer deal on all that junk brass....

I shoot a lot of the 260s. I reload all my ammo. If you are not going to reload then the Creedmoor would be a better suited for you.

One thing to consider would be a 6.5x47. Buying factory lapua ammo and shooting it to start. This will give you great brass for later reloading. My opinion would be go this way instead of both suggestions. You should get about the same numbers with less powder. Just a thought.

Thank you again to everyone posting replies to this post or for even just looking. I am gonna give Karey a ring and get this build started in a 6.5 CM. I will post pics when the build is completed as well as pics of the .300 wsm they built for me recently. Its still at my FFL dealer waiting for daddy to come home for leave,lol.

GAP bolt gun ya say
then why do 260/6.5cm

6.5 GAP
based on 6mm rem GAP has 6 crusader neck up to 6.5

Fits in short action
65gap.jpg

243 and 6GAP

or if you hate fire forming which i do
243Winvs6SuperLRvs65SuperLR1.jpg

243, 6SLR and 6.5SLR
no fire forming shoulder pushed back
http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html
for more info
my last choice on a high dollar GAP custom would be 260/6.5cm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP bolt gun ya say
then why do 260/6.5cm

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SURVIVORTYPE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am currently overseas so reloading is not possible for at least a few years but would like to get range time while I am home on r&r.

</div></div>

If wanting to shoot factory ammo, CM hands down...

no reloading....that suks

plain jane 243