• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor or, 300 Win mag ?

Raffica762

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2018
Greenville, SC
Wanting a new bolt gun.. love your thoughts and, input. I had a 300 winny sold it. I have a 6.5 gas gun and, love it. But..I do miss that hard recoiling 300 at times. Lol

If your gonna go magnum why not something based on the more efficient Jeffereys parent case like 28 or 30 Nosler as examples?

800 to 1200 yards is perfect for a 6.5CM or 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC

Nothing wrong with .300WM at those ranges if you actually like the punishment of the recoil and don't mind the cost.
However most shooting that range would go with something cheaper and easier to shoot.

This assumes that you want something for range work.

Now if you are trying to hunt at that range, then by all means stick with .300WM or the new .300 PRC or a similar magnum type round.

Reactions: matt33
My old Win Mag was my old hunting rifle..I haven’t hunted in a few years but I do reload 300 blackout and, 308..so I have bullets already..but I do have a 6.5 Grendel and, 6.5 Creedmoor..so I have 6.5 bullets too lol

If you reload you can load 225gr eld & 230gr vld in the 300wm and boost its performance to near 338LM levels but for alot less cost. Although it's almost never in stock anywhere Berger offers a factory 230gr VLD load in 300wm I'm getting 2750 fps with it out of my 24" and great accuracy. However the performance to cost ratio of the 6.5cm is incredible as well. If you can act fast you may want to consider 338LM as well. Prime is having a moving sell and their 338lm 300gr SMK factory load is 50% off if you were to buy several hundred rounds you'd be good on brass for awhile and into 338lm at a more reasonable cost.

I’ll take the 300 like drop/drift of the 6.5 to an actual 300 inside 1k, any day of the week!

Or, just man up and get a 300 Norma.

Lol, although I could be considered a little biased due to my current 300 Norma build below.
Berger ammunition is hitting retailers at a fairly good pace now and of course 6.5 Creedmoor is less than the 300 WM, and WM is roughly half the cost of the 300 Norma if its any concern.
However, Berger confirmed that they sourced the 300 Norma brass from Lapua :cool: which I believe makes it a good value for those who reload. 300 Norma1.JPG300 Norma2.JPG

Last edited:
I will back the 280 train all day. Took mine out last weekend and was hammering steel even with 9-11 MPH winds.

In case ammunition was a concern, and please note that the plain vanilla .280 Rem will chamber in and automatically fireform to the Ackley chamber.

I had some handloading exploits with a pair of Ruger M77 MKI's, a sporter and a varmint weight, that I had borrowed from my Eldest Brother several years back. It was really disappointing having to hand them back. I loaded Nosler 120, 140, and 150 BT's and they all worked very well after some load development with H-4350 and H-4831.

I was all set to try the 168's when they want back to Bill; and now they offer the 168 LR Accubond.

These days, now in SE AZ (4350ft ASL) instead of Central NY (800ft ASL), the .280 would be a superb LR/ELR rifle. I think I'm gonna want to get a new version of the Savage 110 Tactical, and spin on a 28" barrel in the chambering. Think 7mm-'06.

Wow, that could get awesome.

Savage 110 Tactical line; and if you qualify for this, you can shave off 30% from the list price.

Greg

Last edited:
Do you have a terminal energy requirement? If not 6.5 all day. If I need larger I go 338LM. Off the shelf readily available ammo even though I reload for both calibers if needed.

Thank you guys..all fantastic and, out standing information here..I never thought about 338LM ..hmm something to think about for sure. Please keep the thoughts and, input coming..I value all opinions here.

Well, since the ballistics of 6.5 CM and 300 WM are pretty similar and your shooting paper/steel, why would you go with the round that's more expensive and has more recoil?

Not necessarily it depends on how you load the 300WM. Run some 190gr & 200gr and yes that's a true statement. Run some of the heavies and you're only around 130fps slower than 300NM shooting the same loads. However less cost = shoot more ?

Reactions: Jim Hunt
Dropped my buck at 1355 yards with a 6.5 CM. People say max effective range for 6.5cm is 1200 yards but that's with factory ammo. They factor in lots of safety factors which suppresses this little guys ability.

If your paper punching then 6.5

We shoot a lot of deer a year through crop damage/block permits etc and have tried the following calibers with the following results

6.5 CM

Both do about the same on deer. 260 has a bit faster velocity but not by much. Also has a longer barrel. When you get past 600 - 700 yards she struggles a bit more with knockdown power. My longest with the 260 is 1121 yards and I wasn’t impressed with the performance.

I’d put the 308’s we’ve run in about the same category with the 6.5 calibers inching them out a longer distances

300 WM/7mm- I personally run 2 300 WM the majority of the time. Both have given excellent performance. They’re ran suppressed so the recoil is tamed to the point I can see my impacts. Another guy uses a 7mm. These would be my top 2 choices for a “do it all” rifle

338 LM- Shot plenty of deer with it when I owned one. Ran the 300’s more because I could suppress them. Have since sold the 338 because the 300 did everything I needed it to do for the ranges I shoot which for the most part inside 1,000 yds.

The 338 was a workhorse tho and definitely had noticeable gains when it came to knockdown power. Was running a 300 gr bullet over 2800 FPS in that.

If it was me I would do the following

- 6.5 CM if I did not reload
- 260 if I did reload
- 300/7mm/280 etc for targets and LR hunting
- 338 LM for ELR Targets and LR hunting

I reload and was loading 338 LM for $1.02 a round. Not sure what the price is currently but I know when I owned it the factory ammo was about $4 a round

I’ve shot steel out to 1,792 with my 260. Have shot about 10-12 deer from 600-1121 yds. For targets this is my go to rifle

Have shot around 20 deer at 600+ yards with the 300’s. Been happy with the results

Shot probably 10 at ranges 600-1000 with the 338LM. Was always impressed with that rifle. Of course at the expense of weight/noise etc. That rifle weighed 22 lbs rifle/scope/mount

Just my $.02

Last edited:
Do both. My 300 wm is built on a 700 long action. I had Matt Stewart spin up a 6.5cm barrel for that action.

I run 300wm and 6.5 cm out of the same BDL mag box with no issues. I swap bolt and barrel, check zero, and go. Cheaper than a second rifle. YMMV.

Also, if you're an American you've got to have at least one 300wm, among other things. Too many other things.

God bless America

Do both. My 300 wm is built on a 700 long action. I had Matt Stewart spin up a 6.5cm barrel for that action.

I run 300wm and 6.5 cm out of the same BDL mag box with no issues. I swap bolt and barrel, check zero, and go. Cheaper than a second rifle. YMMV.

Also, if you're an American you've got to have at least one 300wm, among other things. Too many other things.

God bless America

I like what this guy said ☝️

Ever think of 7mm RemMag?

Not as much kick as 300WM, multitudes of high BC bullets for paper and steel, tons of high BC hunting bullets. You can push the 180+ grain sleek bullets up to 2800 fps or more to really reach out there with a 8 twist barrel.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm RemMag. Good thing is if I get tired of the 7RemMag, I can screw on another barrel and do 300 WM, 300 PRC, 7 SAUM, or anything else that uses a standard magnum case head diameter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyzrd
I have both. For paper punching the 6.5 is just fun to shoot and light recoiling. For actually taking game, the 300 with 215 Bergers running at 3100 FPS is a devasting round, on both ends...lol Each have their place.

Best price/performance 6.5creedmoor? Savage Evolution 10 24in? 1257.99 on Grabagun or ??? Has to be same style. I dont see any imo.

Go get yourself an M200 Intervention chambered in 408 CheyTac...

Faster more accurate round and has more kinetic energy than a .50BMG after 500 ft....

Plus, I mean, Bob Lee Swagger....

Nuff Said...

I have only fired 1 shot from a 300 Win Mag and it wasn’t anything impressive.
I have a couple of 6.5 Creedmoor rifles and I really like them.

I also have a 338 Lapua Magnum that puts a smile on my face but I wouldn’t be putting 140-200 rounds through it in a day like I’ve done with my Creedmoors.

I was at a range this past summer with an old retired guy sitting a couple of benches away.

I was shooting 20 rounds an hour and he was shooting 1-2 so it all depends on what you call shooting.

What’s with the same post 3 times in a row and you do realize this posting is 4yrs old