• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor powders and bullets

mitchparker6

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2018
I plan to reload this round for hunting and I plan to try Hornady 143 gr bullets. I just bought a bergara hmr with the 22inch barrel. Was wondering if anybody has worked up loads for this rifle and what powder they used? I plan to use cci 200 primers. I have a question about powders for that 22 inch barrel and what would work best. Would a fast, medium, or slow burning powder work in the 22 inch barrel best? And what powders in that variety have you guys used? I know everyone will have an opinion but just looking to get ideas. I have imr 4350 and want to look at superformance, rl17 and big game. Might also look into Berger and nosler long range in the 140 grain size if hornadys don't work as well for me. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Your imr 4350 and RL17 will work, but most are using H4350. My personal favorite is Reloder 16. I don’t believe tinkering with faster powders for the slightly shorter barrel will get you anything.

I just chopped a 22” creed barrel to 16.5, and went straight to testing varget with 129gr bullets. It worked, but RL16 smoked it by roughly 100fps, and had good accuracy.

I would definitely want good temp stability. Also what are most pushing the mv to? I would love to get 2700-2800 but idk what will be achievable and accurate.

H4350 is one of the best at temp stability. Rl16 is a semi-new powder so there isn’t such a vast data pool, but in my opinion it’s slightly better than h4350 in stability. I’ve used it in everything I previously used h4350 in, and it’s met or exceeded it. H4350 flat works though, and you will be able to find a good load with it.

Don’t worry about a target velocity. Very likely you can get in that range, but let the gun tell you. Accuracy first.

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
Mitch, I'm new to precision rifles too. I received my John Hancock back in December. I researched, and like everyone here says, H4350 is what most people are using on the 6.5 Creedmoor. I thought, if it works, why screw with it? Soo, that's what I went with. I've thought about trying RL16, but with groups like this...why?

Good luck Mitch. Work on your loads slowly. Pay attention to what your're doing, and record everything.
Let us know how it goes. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Reactions: quikcolin