• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 6.5 Creedmoor reamer question

holdoff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2011
Conch Republic
O.k., I have searched the site to no avail.

My shooting buddy and I are getting ready to build bolt guns in 6.5 Creedmoor for shooting steel and practical matches. The plan is to shoot factory ammo at least initially.

The questions: Has anyone had a custom reamer spec'd that works for the factory Hornady 140 AMAX load AND can offer benefits with an eye on reloading with the LAPUA 139 Scenars or 142 SMKs from AICS magazines?

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor reamer question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady spec reamer does this extremely well. </div></div>

This is what I ordered from PTG, and the results were awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady spec reamer does this extremely well. </div></div>

Agreed
smile.gif

Love my Creed

Thanks guys,

blackblue, I know I watched that video a couple of times and read that post... forgot that rifle was a 6.5 Creedmoor. Thank god for a collective memory.

Again thanks for the quick replies, looks like SAAMI spec is the way to fly.

Glad to here your happy with your Creedmoor. Eventually I will probably end up having you all build me one Keith. Wont be for a few years but its on the list.

140 A-max, 142 SMK, 139 Scenar are all pretty close and the Hornady spec'ed reamer will work fine as is for bullets listed above. Work fine for the Berger VLDs too, OAL will be longer but freebore dimension on "standard" reamer will be just fine.

Only reason you'll need a different reamer would be if you wanted to shoot JLKs or possibly the Berger Hybrid. Know the JLK will need less freebore, would need to get some Berger Hybrids in hand to take some measurements.

Anyone know if standard spec reamer will allow for berger 140 hybrids and berger 140 hunting vld?

Standard spec is .199 FB. That will put your right at 2.890-2.900 COAL for 140 vlds and 2.925 or so with the hybrids. PTG offers a Match FB of .170 and that would work better for Hybrids, but they don't mind a big jump. I've used both match and standard FB. I like the match better for running vlds. It puts the VLD to COAL right around 2.855 or so. Both will work with the Sierra/amax/scenar.

I currently have the .199 fb. COAL for 140vld is 2.895 and for the hybrid its 2.934. Those are to the lands measurements. Hybrids don't mind big jumps, I've always set the vld in the lands .010.

Your should be able to get to the lands with the standard reamer and AI mags with every bullet except the VLD and Hybrid. The 140 amax I have is about 2.845 to the lands with the .199 FB

Don't the Vlds NEED to get to lands? They might or might not. Hate to not be able to do that. So why not the .170 fb? Does that limit the Amax and smk if go that way?

What I am worried about with the standard reamer is that I want to use the Berger VLD 's (both regular and hunting versions) and the hybrids all in 140 grain weights. I understand that the hybrids will probably be fine jumping to lands but I would think the VLDS need to be able to be seated to the lands to find the sweet spot. Is this the case? If is this way, what are the solutions? Thanks again for the insight.