• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Redding Size Die Denting Shoulders

Carole Baskins

If I do my part.
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2020
MT
Looking for help trying to diagnose this issue before I trash the die and buy a new one. It's a Redding standard full length sizing die. It's denting random shoulders (about 25%). The dents are similar to if you were to use too much case lube. I've tried cleaning the die multiple times. multiple lubes and even no lube and it still occurs. Brass is Hornady.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

My first thought is to not use too much lube... like you alluded to.

Im not sure how you managed to size with no lube. Should have resulted in a stuck case.

Got a pic of these dented shoulders?

What size bushing are you using?
He isnt...

With Redding dies you should first dip the neck in graphite dry lube, then apply an ever so slight amount of imperial sizing wax to the body only (none on the shoulder), that’s the way they showed it on TV.

Check your shoulder bump isn’t excessive. Was the brass all shot from the same chamber?

I had the same issue with the Redding standard full length sizing die. It also never sized brass to fit correctly into a standard case gauge. The rounds fit the chamber I was shooting from at that time so I kept using it dents and all for a while.

I finally trashed it and moved on after fighting it for too long.

If you want a non-bushing die I would recommend a Forster and have the neck honed or go to the Whidden either non-bushing or bushing sizing die.

I ended up with a Whidden bushing die and use a mandrel to do final sizing on the neck. I don't neck turn my brass.

My first thought is to not use too much lube... like you alluded to.

Im not sure how you managed to size with no lube. Should have resulted in a stuck case.

Got a pic of these dented shoulders?

He isnt...
Here are some pics. I did add some imperial sizing wax to the base of the case body so I wouldn't stick a case.

IMG_2107.jpg
IMG_2106.jpg

If you dont have lube on there then my only conclusion would be that its reducing the shoulder diameter more than the brass can withstand so it buckles.

Have any measurements?

If you dont have lube on there then my only conclusion would be that its reducing the shoulder diameter more than the brass can withstand so it buckles.

Have any measurements?
No. I'm tracking you though. I'll get some pre and post sizing dimensions. I'm bumping the shoulder back about 0.003" - 0.004" to answer the other question and this has all been fired from two different bolt actions. Thanks for the thoughts and advice to far.

I had the same problems with the same Redding Die....I gave up and resize with an RCBS die and use the Redding dies to set neck tension and seat. Really love their micrometer seating die but the resizing die just kept denting shoulders and was a pain. Apparently these dies are not vented and dent under anything less than exacting/perfect conditions. Mine dented cases no matter what I lubed with....wax, dry lube, gel. Didn't matter.

VooDoo

No. I'm tracking you though. I'll get some pre and post sizing dimensions. I'm bumping the shoulder back about 0.003" - 0.004" to answer the other question and this has all been fired from two different bolt actions. Thanks for the thoughts and advice to far.

What he’s saying is that brass folds/buckles if it is the wrong hardness for swaging (which is what sizing dies do to brass). It can buckle along the length of the body or shoulder or along the length of the neck.

I had marks from one of my resizing dies I had to clean it on the inside dirt and gook for a lack of a better word had built up inside it hope the answer to your problem is something that simple to fix .

I had this issue for a while with my redding 260 dies. Was using too much lube.....

Sorry not of any help.

Reactions: cruze5
Definitely no vent on this die. It is shrinking the diameter at the body/shoulder junction about 0.003".

Definitely no vent on this die. It is shrinking the diameter at the body/shoulder junction about 0.003".
Thats not enough to cause it and is just about perfect in my book.

Id blame soft thinner hornady brass.

Id give the die a good soaking in iso alcohol or carb cleaner and scrub it real good to make sure there isnt a build up of crap in the die and continue on. I bet after they get fired a time or two more they wont do it anymore but thats just a guess from my gut.

Id give the die a good soaking in iso alcohol or carb cleaner and scrub it real good to make sure there isnt a build up of crap in the die and continue on. I bet after they get fired a time or two more they wont do it anymore but thats just a guess from my gut.
I had the exact same issues using Starline brass so I wouldn't be so quick to blame the brass for this issue. The only solution that I found was to junk the Redding and move to something better.

I'm going to add some more questions rather than answers about odd 6.5 cases. Found this is some range brass I bought. There were 10 in a lot of a couple hundred. It looks different than the typical images of case head separation I've seen. Lapua 6.5 creed.
IMG_20220406_102852149.jpg
IMG_20220406_102753259.jpg

I'm going to add some more questions rather than answers about odd 6.5 cases. Found this is some range brass I bought. There were 10 in a lot of a couple hundred. It looks different than the typical images of case head separation I've seen. Lapua 6.5 creed. View attachment 7844557View attachment 7844558
You ought to make your own thread instead of polluting this one with unrelated crap.

But yes, your cases appear to be separating, toss those and watch the others for similar signs.

I'll give it a good rub and a scrub. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable effect on performance. The gun shoots and feeds great with good ES numbers. It's more of an OCD trigger when I see the dents on freshly tumbled and loaded cases...even though they are Hornady cases.

Reactions: spife7980
I'll give it a good rub and a scrub. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable effect on performance. The gun shoots and feeds great with good ES numbers. It's more of an OCD trigger when I see the dents on freshly tumbled and loaded cases...even though they are Hornady cases.
Are you shooting a factory barrel?

Annealing and dry lube has helped a bit. Now getting a smaller dent about every 10-12 rounds. Looking like I’ll need to try a new die to eliminate this problem.

Hornady custom grade die = no more issues. I guess it was the die??? Oh well. Problem solved. Thanks for all of the input.

Reactions: AllenOne1