• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor reload issues

The Lawn Ranger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Northern Kentucky
So I started reloading 6.5 Creedmoor for my new JP LRP-07 and I am having some occasional
issues with my reloads not chambering and leaving a stuck bolt and cartridge which is annoying at best. I cleaned the chamber
really well and FL sized with a Hornady match die so that all cases seat all the way into a L.E. Wilson Trimmer
Case Holder. Frankly, I have never experienced anything like this with any semi I have owned.

I must say that the gun does beat the shit out of the brass, leaving a visible dent/ding about 1/8"-1/4" below the neck.
I have adjusted the gas to minimize this issue. I would like to avoid purchasing any small base dies at this point.

Any recos?

Sounds like you're letting the BCG slam them into the chamber. Which is OK, unless you're trying to solve a problem like this one.

Remove your firing pin so you DON'T get an unintended "bang", and find a sticker by cycling some cartridges EASILY through the rifle.Cartridges should chamber and go into battery without fuss.

My suspicion is ALL of your ammo is a little big and none will chamber easily.

Anyway, find a sticker, sharpie it up and find out where its rubbing. Then report back.

EDIT: or just remove the upper and drop cartridges in the chamber. If they don't drop in, bounce and make a "pink" sound, that's trouble, and indicates the case is too fat. Don't force it in much. Pop it back out with a gentle tap from a cleaning rod.

Last edited:
After dropping the cases into the chamber, what I suspected was true.

The damaged cases are out of true around the shoulder which causes them to stick.

Of the 50 cases I am working with, I will discard 4 that are damaged.

In my experience with higher end auto-loaders, there is a break in period for both the shooter
and the gun so I am pretty confident this will work itself out with proper gas adjustment.

If the problem persists, I will purchase a Redding FL bushing die.

Thanks for the great advice Turbo.