• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor rifle

@EvilEmpire you've told us what you're not going to do with your new bolt action. What you haven't said is what are you going to do with it.

Almost every suggestion you've received has made a shitload of assumptions about how you will be using this rifle. Those assumptions are most certainly based in the preferences and biases of the person making the suggestion, and not on yours. Understandable since you've said nothing other than you want a rifle and you don't care to compete (compete in what?)

So, I have questions
  1. Are you only going to just shoot stuff ("targets") with it?
  2. Are you only going to use it to hunt?
  3. Are you going to use it for both?
  4. If you're going to hunt with it a few more questions
    1. How far will you hike/walk with it?
    2. Along what kind of terrain?
    3. What are the distances you think you will most likely shoot an animal from?
    4. What kind of animals do you intend to kill with it?
My suggestions will depend greatly on your answers.

I will say this, I hardly ever recommend a first timer spend money on a custom rifle. Custom rifles are best suited to people who know what they want. A first time buyer/user of bolt action rifles typically doesn't know what he doesn't know and it's best to learn the lessons on the cheap.

Once you have some more first hand experience, you can develop a clearer idea of what you want in your next rifle. Then buy or build it exactly your way.

I had a Tikka T3x CTR
Tikka T3X Tac A1.
but I am Left Handed and came across a Tikka T3x TAC A1 and love it. Right now you can but a whole lot of rifles off the shelf that shoot sub MOA from $400 on up. It is not build your rifle now days unless you have money to burn. Same with glass there are plenty of great scopes out there even sub 1000 dollar range. The rifle or the glass only works as good as the shooter. Spending 4000 dollars doesn't mean you can hit what you aim at. Most will get you to a 1000 yards if you can shoot.

Reactions: EvilEmpire
The rifle or the glass only works as good as the shooter.

While that is true, it's also no reason to not get the absolute best rifle and optics that one can afford.

Nothing is worse than not hitting where you intended and wondering if the rifle or sight is to blame.

@EvilEmpire you've told us what you're not going to do with your new bolt action. What you haven't said is what are you going to do with it.
Almost every suggestion you've received has made a shitload of assumptions about how you will be using this rifle. Those assumptions are most certainly based in the preferences and biases of the person making the suggestion, and not on yours. Understandable since you've said nothing other than you want a rifle and you don't care to compete (compete in what?)

So, I have questions
  1. Are you only going to just shoot stuff ("targets") with it?
  2. Are you only going to use it to hunt?
  3. Are you going to use it for both?
  4. If you're going to hunt with it a few more questions
    1. How far will you hike/walk with it?
    2. Along what kind of terrain?
    3. What are the distances you think you will most likely shoot an animal from?
    4. What kind of animals do you intend to kill with it?
My suggestions will depend greatly on your answers.

I will say this, I hardly ever recommend a first timer spend money on a custom rifle. Custom rifles are best suited to people who know what they want. A first time buyer/user of bolt action rifles typically doesn't know what he doesn't know and it's best to learn the lessons on the cheap.

Once you have some more first hand experience, you can develop a clearer idea of what you want in your next rifle. Then buy or build it exactly your way.

Not for hunting, it will be strictly for shooting targets (paper and steel). Would like 1000+ yards. I figure between 11 - 15 lbs (gun only) would be no big deal.

hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi guys! New to the forum and a lot of great information on here.

I’m looking to getting my 1st 6.5 creedmoor. I have a budget of $2k for the rifle and $2k for the scope. I’m opened to a custom build too. I want something that can go out to a minimum of 1000 yards. Not looking for a competition rifle.

What would you recommend for a custom built and by who? I’m thinking of either a nightforce or vortex scope. I appreciate the feedback.
I haven't graduated to custom builds yet. But I've got a few rifles for a poor boy.

I'd recommend getting a stock Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM. A Long distance instructor on his course told me mine was about the second flattest shooting rifle he'd ever had there. Don't know if I got lucky or what. At a recent course.....still with the same barrel and Nightforce.......was hitting out to 1350.

The RPR 6.5 would allow you more for your scope. I've got a low-end Nightforce which is probably just superior to my mid-range Vortex scopes. I dream of bumping on up in either of the two brands or into some good German/European glass.

Recommend Strelok Pro for your ballistics app.

Be sure to get some decent instruction.......it can shave a lot of time off of your gun education.

Cheers, and good luck!

You first need to acquire ammo in whatever caliber you decide your new gun will be. Once you have ammo, revisit the question. 6.5 in any form, loaded or components, is hard to find and expensive, relative to what it 'used' to cost.

Beyond that, Tikka TacA1. Unless you need a lighter platform. Great two stage trigger and the action is butter smooth. Very accurate as well. Spend the extra on glass. I'm the opposite of what many are stating in giving up glass for gun. Go glass first. If you have anything left after ammo. 😐

I have been shooting a 6.5 CM with a stock CTR T3X Tikka out to 1,200 yards at the COSSA range in Central Oregon. It is one of the nest all around ranges in the US. Gong range to one mile. I have not got consistent hits beyond that but what do you expect from a 9.5 pound factory rifle? (sling, ammo and scope) .I recently upgraded to a KRG Bravo stock. I like it. But no noticable increase in range. The semi custom rifles you mention have long delivery schedules. They are not really facotry rifles for PRS competition. Look at the Tikka https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/tikka/t1x-upr.

that’s a nice looking rifle!

Got any personal references there Mr. First time poster? :unsure:

No, been looking at some of the pre-customs ones mentioned above. I know with current market conditions that there are some major delays. Just seeing what are my options.

Lots of recommendations here. I went down this path myself. I bought a howa even before they had a cool chassis. Try to be honest with yourself about how much you're going to shoot. If that answer is <500 rounds, off the shelf rifle is a great suggestion. If that answer is 5k rounds (multiple barrels), think seriously about the recommendations above that have prefits available. Barrel vice and wrench are optional initially.

Whatever you pick, just get out and shoot and have fun.

What would you say the shelf life is on the upper tier barrels? 5000 rounds? More or less?

What would you say the shelf life is on the upper tier barrels? 5000 rounds? More or less?

Current prices mean $300 for 8 boxes of factory ammo, if you can find it. I picked up 160rds of 140gr Nosler yesterday trying to help out a friend who just bought a new 6.5.
How fast can you spend it.

Even if its 2500 round barrel life...???

Very caliber and usage specific, but I'd say more like 3000 for a 6.5 creed. As short as 1200 for a 6 creed. Everything else kinda falls in between. Lots of guys run them longer, and lots pull them sooner. So lots of opinions on that, but that should give you a general idea.

Very caliber and usage specific, but I'd say more like 3000 for a 6.5 creed. As short as 1200 for a 6 creed. Everything else kinda falls in between. Lots of guys run them longer, and lots pull them sooner. So lots of opinions on that, but that should give you a general idea.

308 Win FTW

yeah, not looking to compete. Just looking for a great rifle. This will be my first bolt action. I’m one of those who like to do things right the first go around. Lol
Since you’re new to this, I have to ask. What features differentiate a competition rifle from a long range rifle you’re looking to buy, or have built?

Also, I wouldn’t rule out competing. After 2 years of shooting prone at 800 to 1,000 yards, I honestly got kinda bored doing that at the range. I ended up trying a local precision rifle match and it taught me A LOT, and presented me with stuff to work on that makes my range sessions more fun and I’m a better shooter for it.

Last edited:
Since you’re new to this, I have to ask. What features differentiate a competition rifle from a long range rifle you’re looking to buy, or have built?

Also, I wouldn’t rule out competing. After 2 years of shooting prone at 800 to 1,000 yards, I honestly got kinda bored doing that at the range. I ended up trying a local precision rifle match and it taught me A LOT, and presented me with stuff to work on that makes my range sessions more fun and I’m a better shooter for it.

I could actually see that scenario playing out with me too. I’m very competitive by nature, so if I got bored I could see myself looking into that.

No, been looking at some of the pre-customs ones mentioned above. I know with current market conditions that there are some major delays. Just seeing what are my options.

That references comment was for the guy whos first post was to try and sell you exactly what you said you were looking for, for the exact amount you said you were willing to spend. It was perfect, too perfect. What are the chances of that?

Be cautious buying big ticket items from strangers on the internet. There are scammers everywhere.

Start with a Tikka CTR, it will serve you well until ready for a custom. Take care of it and recoup the money when the time comes.

Having

Not for hunting, it will be strictly for shooting targets (paper and steel). Would like 1000+ yards. I figure between 11 - 15 lbs (gun only) would be no big deal.

hope that helps.

To be entirely honest, buy a production rifle and learn. Then once you really understand what you like and don't like, what you want and don't want, and how you're going to use the rifle, spring for a custom.

I can't say anything bad about Tikka.

Howas are also very accurate and high quality. Some say their bolts are rough, I say BS. They're not custom smooth at the start, but they become butter smooth with use. Unfortunately you have to budget for a chassis because the stocks they come with just suck.

I just got a Bergara B-14R and I'm impressed by how well it's put together. Based on that alone I'd say give its centerfire brother, the B-14 HMR, a good look. You should be able to find one just under $1k new and the fact that it's a Remington 700 footprint gives you access to all the stocks, triggers, chassis, and scope bases that fit a 700.

Welcome.

You will be hard pressed to get into a custom for under $2k unless you're putting it together yourself even then its more like $2500. And unless everything is in stock be prepared to wait. It will be very nice when it's done though.

Other option simply finding a decent production rifle like a Tikka or Bergara in stock at your local GS. You'll even have cash left over for a decent bipod and accessories.

You can however get a good scope for under $2k.
Yep. I bought a very slightly used Mossberg MVP LR for about $700. Added a drop in Jard 12oz trigger for $150. Just put the Vortex 4.5 X 27 on it yesterday, sighted it in and was shooting 3 shot groups touching at 100 yds. Didnt have time to go out any further but I the guy I got it from 'said' he was ringing 12" steel at 1000 no problem.

A good used Gen II Vortex shouldnt be over $1800 and perhaps less if you shop hard. thats +/- $2500 which leaves you $1500 for ammo...which at today's prices you'll need.

Last edited:
I went the route that everyone suggests. I bought a Bergara HMR LH in 6.5CM. I fell in love with precision shooting. I’ve been learning a lot and practice as much as I can. I’ve shot out to 1,200yds and have done well (for a newbie).

After a year, Ive got a custom on order...Why? Quite frankly because I saved the money, and I want the quality of a Defiance action, and Bartlein barrel. As a junior machinist, I appreciate the work and time that went into the action and barrel.

My Bergara will do everything I need, but this is my only hobby and a custom is worth it to me.

Next, I’ll be spending money on training classes.

Last edited: