• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Seating Depth?

RaptorAddict

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
Simi Valley, California
New long range reloader here. Loaded many rounds of pistol in my past to present. Now loading 6.5 CM with new Peterson LR Brass with 139gr Lapua Scenar. Snagged the OAL info off the VV reloading data which recomended 2.717". Sitting at a max load with N555 at 42.6 gr, the powder is all the way up to the shoulder in the case. I see the 139gr bullet is seated way down inside. Is this considered correct? Meaning as safe? Please reference pic. Thanks guys!

IMG_1584.jpg

I would say yes, considering its a only creedmore and not a crazy load.

Have you measured how far off the lands you are exactly? If the book gives a OACL its usually safe as long as its not jammed. Typically guys are running a few hundredths off.

Either way its good to know where your lands are with that bullet for future reference.

Reactions: RaptorAddict
You might look at how that COAL relates to the length you need to fit in your mag. You might find you could seat them a little longer and still be in your mag/not jammed in the lands.

That pictured bullet is seated pretty deep but it’s ok if you’ve worked up to the max charge and don’t have over pressure conditions.
Still learning the "lands" stuff. Just went off reloading data and when I cycle it, it's nice and smooth. I had a feeling I couldn've seated a bit longer, but I figured I'd start with this. Just doing 10 different development load charges starting from max load downward by .2 incriments.

With H4350 I seat them at 2.800 thats 40 off in my chamber

How to find the jam point without the oal guage tool thingy.

I used this method. Funny thing is, Vihtavuori recommended 2.717 OAL and my actual chamber length (using the video guide) showed 2.717 OAL. Could this be that VV is Finnish as is the SAKO? LOL! I can't imagine backing it down any further as my loads have an OAL of 2.715. Hope I did the procedure correctly but I reviewed 3 times and I'm sure I did it right.

Reactions: Smittiac
I used this method. Funny thing is, Vihtavuori recommended 2.717 OAL and my actual chamber length (using the video guide) showed 2.717 OAL. Could this be that VV is Finnish as is the SAKO? LOL! I can't imagine backing it down any further as my loads have an OAL of 2.715. Hope I did the procedure correctly but I reviewed 3 times and I'm sure I did it right.

EDIT: Need to go back and do it again. I didn't put a flat end on the cleaning rod. So I think the threaded end was cupping the bullet tip which would make it just a hair longer.

So after my revised measurement to the lands, it came to 2.867. I dialed back .020 to seat at 2.847. The first first rounds I made I seated to the OAL of 2.717 which was specified by VV powder data. Is jump at .15 a bit much and dangerous? Or can I actually shoot that? I’m very new at reloading rifle so please forgive me for all the greenhorn questions. Thanks again fellas!

.015 is right in the ideal area for a lot of bullets....025” is what I’m currently running in 6.5 with VLD bullets. Benchrest guys will measure their jump in single thousandths. You are gtg at .015”. Even .060 or .080 is okay.
The difference is .15. Not .015. That’s a lot I assume. Too far of a jump?

So after my revised measurement to the lands, it came to 2.867. I dialed back .020 to seat at 2.847. The first first rounds I made I seated to the OAL of 2.717 which was specified by VV powder data. Is jump at .15 a bit much and dangerous? Or can I actually shoot that? I’m very new at reloading rifle so please forgive me for all the greenhorn questions. Thanks again fellas!

It's fine to shoot.

I have never, ever chased the lands with my seating depths. My loads are seated to OAL's that correspond to magazine lengths.

Something some of us may not be considering, although I MUST at my age; is the simple fact that some of our ammo may outlive us.

I.e., It may end up in the hands of younger folks we all know and love, and if any of that stuff differs in any great manner from factory ammo, we may be putting time bombs in their hands. If it's unsafe in the basic brown wrapper rifle, it ought not ever be in a position to be used without our personal supervision. That's our families I'm talking about and matters like responsible gun ownership have a huge bearing on these sorts of questions.

PSA ends.

Greg

I have never, ever chased the lands with my seating depths. My loads are seated to OAL's that correspond to magazine lengths.

Something some of us may not be considering, although I MUST at my age; is the simple fact that some of our ammo may outlive us.

I.e., It may end up in the hands of younger folks we all know and love, and if any of that stuff differs in any great manner from factory ammo, we may be putting time bombs in their hands. If it's unsafe in the basic brown wrapper rifle, it ought not ever be in a position to be used without our personal supervision. That's our families I'm talking about and matters like responsible gun ownership have a huge bearing on these sorts of questions.

PSA ends.

Greg
So I am trying to get an idea of seating depth that a 6.5 seems to like from various shooters. What I think is faltering this study are guns where a long bullet, say tighter than .040 off the lands will not fit in the mags of various guns. My gun mag will accept a bullet .010 off the lands, many will not, and thus they pursue a setting that will fit the mag and do not follow past cartridge accuracy finds at closer settings. Are we finding new accuracy or accommodating a gun design?