• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor srp

sifer1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
ontario
Good morning iam wondering if anyone has reloaded 6.5 creedmoor with small rifle primer, and if so are they using magnum or standard small rifle primer. Have case so wanted to find out before I buy primers
Thanks

Yes, personally using CCI 450's

Reactions: rijndael and 30338
While some use standard small rifle, most use magnum or the BR variants (br-4, 450, 205m, 71/2 etc). I dont recommend the standard small rifle.

While some use standard small rifle, most use magnum or the BR variants (br-4, 450, 205m, 71/2 etc). I dont recommend the standard small rifle.
Is there a difference from the br-4 to the magnum which would be the go to for h4350 powder??

I have only ever used standard SRP's for my bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor. Someday I'll try the BR4's or the 450's. Whichever I see on the shelf first.

Reactions: AllenOne1
I only run standard SRPs in 6.5 Creedmoor. CCI 400. Have never seen any issues to cause me to change it up.
see all i've been hearing is that i 'd have to use small br4 or magnum, and not normal small primer like cci 400 with h4350. because of ignition! so your saying that you can use standard with h4350?

see all i've been hearing is that i 'd have to use small br4 or magnum, and not normal small primer like cci 400 with h4350. because of ignition! so your saying that you can use standard with h4350?
It has nothing to do with ignition, its cup thickness. The typical cartridge you’d run a cci 400 in, like a 223, has a max pressure thats 7000 psi lower than a creedmoor. If you're shooting a custom action with a properly tight fit between the firing pin and the hole in the bolt face, everything is well supported and you’ll likely be fine. If the pin fits poorly, you may not be, and a pierced primer will damage the bolt face and the pin at least. At worst it takes your trigger too.

See the chart below.

IMG_1005.png

Reactions: FireFoot
You can use the standard CCI 400 primers with H4350. I've ran about 5,000 rounds with no issues in ignition.

You will not see any difference in velocity between large and small primers.

Now to Supersube's point above about firing pin fit. If you have a loose fit between your bolt and firing pin, issues will show up quicker on SRP than it will with LRPs.

I've had 2 Savage bolts bushed and the firing pin turned down. One had issues the other did not. It's not overly expensive to have this done if needed, and in my mind should be done on a lot of factory rifles regardless. I'm currently running a CDG action and there is no problem with that quality of action.

Reactions: DIBBS
well i'am running a bergara LRP rifle factory right now. and have shot factory 6.5 creeedmoor federal rounds in it, which i have found with small primers. didnt notice the difference until i started decapping the case

Not to bring up an old thread, but it seems many run srp without problems. I just got some new starline srp brass and loaded CCI 400 primers with 41.2gr of H4350. Got a pierced primer today. Did a velocity work up yesterday from 41.0-42.0 and had no signs of obvious pressure. This was new brass. This is a GAP built Templar V2 with Bartlein barrel. Only about 250 rounds since last cleaning. Any ideas?

Not to bring up an old thread, but it seems many run srp without problems. I just got some new starline srp brass and loaded CCI 400 primers with 41.2gr of H4350. Got a pierced primer today. Did a velocity work up yesterday from 41.0-42.0 and had no signs of obvious pressure. This was new brass. This is a GAP built Templar V2 with Bartlein barrel. Only about 250 rounds since last cleaning. Any ideas?
Ideas? Yes, dont use cci 400’s.

I been using FGGM SRP for about year now and they work great. I have heard of people getting great results with magnum SRPs as well.

Reactions: Dog Doc
So yeah, I have figured that out. Now what to do with 200 pieces already primed and 100 loaded. May just trash it all out of frustration.
You can push the live primers back out with your re-sizing die's decapping pin and save them for practice rounds. The RCBS collet bullet puller also works nicely for taking apart loaded rounds. Just load them up again as practice fodder.

Reactions: 260284 and Dog Doc
You can push the live primers back out with your re-sizing die's decapping pin and save them for practice rounds. The RCBS collet bullet puller also works nicely for taking apart loaded rounds. Just load them up again as practice fodder.
What about loading the lowest load documented and just trying to fire form them?

Yikes! I read you're previous post above and saw the issues with a pierced primer. I would definitely not continue using CCI-400s with that brass/powder/barrel/action combination. You certainly don't want to damage that awesome GAP build. If you're trying to develop a load for it, you probably don't want to waste powder and bullets at playing around at the starting load data either. CCI-450s are actually in stock at a lot of places as of late (Midway, Brunos, et al) and work way better in 6.5 Creedmoor SRP, especially in cold weather. Hornady's latest pod cast (Ep. 121) on load development is really worth listening to. The don't talk about primers specifically, but really hit upon some best practices that'll save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.

For what it's worth, I did shoot some Lapua SRP loads with CCI-400s and 40.6 grs of H4350 for 200-300 rounds and wasn't impressed.

Thanks for the info guys. I do have a select amount of magnum (CCI450) and will plan on ordering more. Hope that is the problem.

Creedmoor is a cartridge designed with large rifle primers. Why do you want to use small rifle primers? Are you planning on loading to 65kPSI? This topic comes up all the time.

Creedmoor is a cartridge designed with large rifle primers. Why do you want to use small rifle primers? Are you planning on loading to 65kPSI? This topic comes up all the time.
Because large rifle primers are very difficult to find at times in my area. I prefer versatility and using components I can find. And no, I am not trying to achieve crazy velocity or PSI.

if one had 41,205m,and br4 which is the best choice or least worst?
Most here (precision oriented) would choose the br4 and 205m, but everyone would gladly take 41’s if there was no alternative. The 41 is a just a military 5.56 primer. The other two are “match” primers, which is reflected in their price.

Can you expand? If magnum primers are just a band aid fix, what is the BEST fix? Would it be to avoid SRP brass all together?
The best fix could be bushing your firing pin to more closely match the small primers diameter (.075 large pin vs .062 small pin). Which lessens the span that the thin primer material alone must resist the pressure pushing out in it which is what leads to the getting holes blown through them which jet through the bolt face down the firing pin channel and into the bolt body. That hot jet of escaping gasses is how firing pin tips get jagged and lead to even more cut up punctures.

But being bushed doesn’t make small magnum primers the best choice for lots of pressure in larger cases when a large primer with even thicker material still is more aptly suited. Never mind the small primers potentially not being adequate on lighting all the powder in really low temps low energy environments.

Small primers can work fine and leave more brass material in the case head not being displaced by a primer that theoretically gives an increase to the number of firings it can withstand.

There is a consideration:

People invented the need to go small primer in .473” cases because for a while there was a desire to run milder primers to try to lower the velocity ES. Small primers have less priming mix in them, hence they’re milder. And in some cases the need was satisfied but from what I see that only happened at very high pressures. When you try to use them in medium pressure loads you run into combustion issues. So you have to think about this before buying small primer brass. What kind of ammo is this going to be?

There is a consideration:

People invented the need to go small primer in .473” cases because for a while there was a desire to run milder primers to try to lower the velocity ES. Small primers have less priming mix in them, hence they’re milder. And in some cases the need was satisfied but from what I see that only happened at very high pressures. When you try to use them in medium pressure loads you run into combustion issues. So you have to think about this before buying small primer brass. What kind of ammo is this going to be?
If you are asking me, I am looking for a reliable load for range use/potential prs. Looking for a 140 grain bullet to range in the 2700-2750 range as long as my barrel likes the charges.

If all you have is small rifle primers then that is that. You'd be better off with LRP if possible but SRP can work if necessary. There are some obvious downsides which you have encountered or have been discussed. See if 450's work, don't be surprised if you pierce those too.

If you are asking me, I am looking for a reliable load for range use/potential prs. Looking for a 140 grain bullet to range in the 2700-2750 range as long as my barrel likes the charges.

Then go with a large primer. But if you can’t find any there’s that, like Mr. Hemi said.