• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5 Creedmoor Subsonic ??

trauma1

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I use for competitions. I was wondering if I hand load some subsonics and shoot them suppressed..... will it have any harmful effects on the barrel? This is a Kreiger barrel that has been broken in appropriately and has 280 rounds on it.
Thanks for your time.

Totally uneducated response here, but if a .308 can happily shoot subs I'm at a loss for a reason a 6.5 couldn't???

I understand. I can't imagine the willbw a problem, but only the Smith's will know

The lighter bullet weight of the 6.5 bullet and the 308 case volume may be an issue. Am sure it can be done if you get some big heavy projectiles up around 160-170 grn (I know some 308 ammo folks make a 180 subsonic but its the lightest i have seen)

Hornady 160 gr round nose. 9-10 gr of trailboss should be the sweet spot. Start high, work low. 9.6 is where mine shoots 1020 fps

Reactions: Ledzep
You could pick up some Hornady 147 eld-m 6.5 and some trail boss powder or any other case filling powder. I would expect much performance past 200 yards. There would be a obvious impact shift from your normal load. I don't know of any heavy 6.5 bullets out there. You start with a full case(powder)and work your way down until it sub-sonic, around 1040-1060 fps. It depends on your atmospheric conditions to stay under the sonic boom(crack). I think your suppose to make sure they don't keyhole on the target, before putting your suppressor on. I wouldn't worry about hurting the barrel.

You could pick up some Hornady 147 eld-m 6.5 and some trail boss powder or any other case filling powder. I would expect much performance past 200 yards. There would be a obvious impact shift from your normal load. I don't know of any heavy 6.5 bullets out there. You start with a full case(powder)and work your way down until it sub-sonic, around 1040-1060 fps. It depends on your atmospheric conditions to stay under the sonic boom(crack). I think your suppose to make sure they don't keyhole on the target, before putting your suppressor on. I wouldn't worry about hurting the barrel.

What about with the suppressor?
heres the deal... I have some coyotes crusing through my wooded suburban neighborhood. The Sheriff said smoke em! But he does not want to get a call about weapons discharged on the neighborhood. There is enough distance around me to shot quietly and not raise attention.
Mainly I do not want to hurt my barrel for competition

I'd imagine these subsonic powders are dirty all around. You will just have to clean the rifle and suppressor, if you can? If you don't have a baffle strike, then I'd say it's fine. Just make sure the bullets are stable at 50',100' 150'.Yards not feet. No Keyholing in paper target, before you screw on the suppressor. As always, your taking a big chance firing in a neighborhood? Know your backstops, even with subs. Maybe you should think about a 22 L.R. with subs? They might not die right away with subs from a 6.5????

Problem is that the 6.5 bullets are getting pretty light. If you wanna keep them subsonic, youll need to run heavies... but good luck stabilizing a 147 out of a 8.5 twist barrel at subsonic velocities. For subs, you want a short heavy bullet. That is not what a 6.5mm is good at.

I ve shoot 140's out of a 7mm-08. You'll be fine. Start high work low. Can off paper test at 50 yards. Let us know

Problem is that the 6.5 bullets are getting pretty light. If you wanna keep them subsonic, youll need to run heavies... but good luck stabilizing a 147 out of a 8.5 twist barrel at subsonic velocities. For subs, you want a short heavy bullet. That is not what a 6.5mm is good at.

You want a short heavy bullet?? Tell me more. Heavy bullets are usually long. I've shot 86 to 247 out of my blackout. 110 Leigh high aluminum bullets to 550 cast out of a 458 socom.

Reactions: lash
I've load subsonics in a 6 Creedmoor using ~85 grain bullets. I think it's 6 grains of Trail Boss. I shoot them suppressed and haven't noticed anything detrimental. Note, you can hear the bullet hit the cardboard backing at 100 yards and nearly see the bullet. It's incredibly quiet but not really useful other than it being cool to shoot.

I just saw your comment about shooting coyotes with the subsonics. That's why I made mine. I can shoot 150 yards or so and I don't think these subsonics would do much at that distance. The bullet drop is significant so you'd have to leave it sighted with the subsonics and re-dial when you shoot at the range. Too much trouble for me so I just shoot 'em with suppressed normal rounds with a solid backstop.

Shoot' m in the face .

Attachments

• photo54453.jpg
    photo54453.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 326
If you hit a coyote the bullet is going to pencil through at subsonic velocities. Not the most humane way to kill them if you care about that.

You want a short heavy bullet?? Tell me more. Heavy bullets are usually long. I've shot 86 to 247 out of my blackout. 110 Leigh high aluminum bullets to 550 cast out of a 458 socom.

Yes you do for subsonics. Flatbase and roundnose bullets will stabilize at a slower twist of a bullet of the same weight but longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If your worried about carbon use clays start at 16 grains with the 160 and work down. I load blue dot in a 243 to shoot coyotes with 70 blitzkings at 2000fps. I do this for the kids. and they can kill out further than I like them to shoot 250-300yds Any of the small bullets will do the same thing. The 107tmk in 6.5 will stabilize so would any other short bullet at sub velocities. A varmint or tipped bullet would be my choice for the task if your asking.

Reactions: Jystmike
Hornady 160 gr round nose. 9-10 gr of trailboss should be the sweet spot. Start high, work low. 9.6 is where mine shoots 1020 fps
^^^ This
Start at 12gr of Trailboss and seat them at the cannelure on the 160.
Check for stability without the suppressor.
Shoot 0.2gr decreasing charges until it goes subsonic.
Then tune for accuracy.

That’s what I did with 150 grain flat base spritzers in my stealth. Ended up at 11.5 grains Trail Boss for a very quiet load. Stabilized fine with no baffle strikes. Now, for a short cast bullet of 140 grains, should provide many hours of fun around the house.

This is an old thread to resurrect, but I found it interesting. Have any of you shot the 160 gr Creedmoor load out of a 20" Tikka T3X? It's a 1:8 twist. I was wondering how it stabilized in a shorter barrel going subsonic. Believe it or not, Lucky Gunner has the Hornady 160 .264" bullets in stock. Not a hot COVID item, I suppose.

/David

What about with the suppressor?
heres the deal... I have some coyotes crusing through my wooded suburban neighborhood. The Sheriff said smoke em! But he does not want to get a call about weapons discharged on the neighborhood. There is enough distance around me to shot quietly and not raise attention.
Mainly I do not want to hurt my barrel for competition

Maybe the people in your neighborhood are deaf, but a subsonic still sounds like a gunshot, and is surprisingly loud. Hell, a CO2 powered BB pistol is surprisingly loud. If the sheriff doesn't want to get calls, this is how you get calls...

I have not yet tried 6.5 in a sub but no one here has mentioned cfeblk.
Flat base round nose is way to go imho.

If you have a sub round in a bolt gun and a good can most all you here is impact.

May want to wet the can slightly for first round.

Stay at 1050fps or less. Expect 100 yard and less performance and definitely check on paper with a new cardboard backing for keyholes first.

We have 30 cal, 223, 45, 9mm, and 22 cans even in semi the action is the loudest thing you hear, single load that if you want.

Don't shoot next to a hard surface if you can avoid it.

Maybe the people in your neighborhood are deaf, but a subsonic still sounds like a gunshot, and is surprisingly loud. Hell, a CO2 powered BB pistol is surprisingly loud. If the sheriff doesn't want to get calls, this is how you get calls...

Or maybe his neighborhood is comprised of 5 acre lots. He said he has plenty of space.

Thanks for the help, guys. With a 20” Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor and Hornady brass loaded with a 160 gr Hornady RN over 10.5 gr of Trail Boss and a WLR primer at 2.75” OAL, I got 1030 FPS. That’s the load I’m going with as

11.5 gr was 1114 fps, 11.0 gr was 1075 fps, and 10.0 gr was 966 fps.

Good & stable in a 1:8 twist 20”

/David

Thanks for the help, guys. With a 20” Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor and Hornady brass loaded with a 160 gr Hornady RN over 10.5 gr of Trail Boss and a WLR primer at 2.75” OAL, I got 1030 FPS. That’s the load I’m going with as

11.5 gr was 1114 fps, 11.0 gr was 1075 fps, and 10.0 gr was 966 fps.

Good & stable in a 1:8 twist 20”

/David

Speaking as someone who's spent a lot of time testing subsonic loads in rifle cartridges, I hope you spend some time to understand what a subsonic 160gr RN will (and won't) do on target, and the significant ricochet and penetration dangers associated with it. Gunshot noise aside, in populated areas it's much safer to use a high velocity fragmenting varmint bullet. Expect terminal performance similar to an ice pick or bird point arrow, with guaranteed overpenetration. I hope your shots have really substantial backstops.

Edit - I probably conflated your intent with the posts from Trauma1. But still something to consider, if you do intend to shoot animals with that load.

I have not yet tried 6.5 in a sub but no one here has mentioned cfeblk.
Flat base round nose is way to go imho.

If you have a sub round in a bolt gun and a good can most all you here is impact.

May want to wet the can slightly for first round.

Stay at 1050fps or less. Expect 100 yard and less performance and definitely check on paper with a new cardboard backing for keyholes first.

We have 30 cal, 223, 45, 9mm, and 22 cans even in semi the action is the loudest thing you hear, single load that if you want.

Don't shoot next to a hard surface if you can avoid it.
Sorry if its a dumb question, I've never heard of wetting the can before. Interested in what this does / what you use.
thanks in advance.

About 5 cc of water shake out excess and some use wire pull gel.

I have no experience on the gel but evidently it stayes in place .

I have heard if you use too much you will damage a can and belive mnfg's don't advise the practice.

Get some more opinions on the subject and a little is all it takes make sure to shake out excess.

Also blow back is messy in a semi automatic.