• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor thickness question

WayneHS

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Phoenix AZ
I have a custom 6.5 creedmoor build. I am currently using new 308 Lapua brass and through several steps turning them to 6.5 cases. My question: once the 08' cases are sized the thickness of the neck is significant (around .016) I've been turning the necks to a even .014 all around. Is it bad to leave them thick so far as it'll chamber and have .002 to .003 neck clearance in the chamber? is it beneficial for accuracy to keep them within saami specs or have them thicker in regards to sealing the chamber or neck tension? Thank you for your input

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor thickness question

Why are you not just using Hornady Creedmoor brass and save yourself all the trouble?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are you not just using Hornady Creedmoor brass and save yourself all the trouble? </div></div>

I'm wondering the same thing...

I live near Brunos so I can get 100 round of Lapua 308 win Match for $62 so I figured I'd give it a shot and not too long ago I everyone was waiting for a new batch of hornady brass to be shipped from hornady.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WayneHS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a custom 6.5 creedmoor build. I am currently using new 308 Lapua brass and through several steps turning them to 6.5 cases. My question: once the 08' cases are sized the thickness of the neck is significant (around .016) I've been turning the necks to a even .014 all around. Is it bad to leave them thick so far as it'll chamber and have .002 to .003 neck clearance in the chamber? is it beneficial for accuracy to keep them within saami specs or have them thicker in regards to sealing the chamber or neck tension? Thank you for your input </div></div>

As long as they are concentric and less than the neck diameter of your chamber's cut you should be fine. A few here have made 6.5CM that shot fine from 308 brass. I haven't because I'm not into neck turning anything....

BTW-where do you shoot that thing. AZLRPRS's next match is Phoenix Rod and Gun, 08/20/11 7am. Would love to see folks come out!