• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Twist Rate Experiences

Whats your twist rate?

• 1:8

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • 1:7.5

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • 1:7

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Faster than 1:7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slower than 1:8

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Gain-Twist

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

FNG1001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2022
USA
What has your experience been with twist rates on a 6.5 Creedmoor outside of the standard 1:8?

Have you installed a 1:7, 1:7.5, etc and seen a noticeable difference? Gain twist maybe? Would you do it again or change to another/different twist rate.

I'll be installing a new barrel on a Bergara Premier action and looking to see whats been everyone's experience with differing rates.

Thanks!

1-8” works for any bullet that a man would load in a 6.5 creedmoor case. Why change it? A faster twist in a 6.5 PRC may make sense to some if by some chance a longer bullet is released onto the market. The larger case would give you the horsepower to push the heavier bullets. For 6.5CM I don’t see it. I do like 140gr and under bullet weights for the cartridge.

I have one in 7.5 and one in 8 - 7.5 GT. As for seeing a difference...I presume from a standard 8 twist....I couldn't say.

Reactions: FNG1001
What has your experience been with twist rates on a 6.5 Creedmoor outside of the standard 1:8?

Have you installed a 1:7, 1:7.5, etc and seen a noticeable difference? Gain twist maybe? Would you do it again or change to another/different twist rate.

I'll be installing a new barrel on a Bergara Premier action and looking to see whats been everyone's experience with differing rates.

Thanks!
I shoot a 7.5 twist no gain twist. It works well for all bullets I ever use.

I have no quantitative evidence that it works better than my 8 twist barrels but I believe it actually requires a little less correction at the longer distances.

YMMV

Am moving from 140gr bullets to the 144gr HT and running a 1:8 barrel, has anyone had any issues with the 144-156 range?

Most of my 6.5 cm barrels are 1:8.

I did try a 1:7 twist Hawkhill barrel, which was recently sold as a BA. Didn't shoot much at all through it, as shortly after I got it I changed actions.

Wish I had more experience with the 1:7. It was spun up by Insite Arms so I know it will shoot good, but I think I only shot RDF's through it, which are pretty sub-optimal bullets.

1:8 just works, so it's hard to stray from that formula. 1:7 may moderately help at longer distances, provided you aren't shredding or deforming jackets or cores. 1:7 would certainly be optimal for monolithics if that's an interest.

@Islas82 I have almost exclusively shot 140gr, and the occasional 143gr. But have also wondered about the heavier bullets. So am also curious to find an answer to your question.

Reactions: Islas82
Not a CM, but my x47 shot the 147’s very accurately at distance with an 8 twist. Not sure I’d ever want anything heavier/longer than those with the case capacity of these cartridges.

I have use 8 twists in my Creedmoors since 2008 and no issues with 140-147grn bullets I have used. If you went 150+ weights then a 7.5 wouldn't hurt.

I shoot a 7.5 twist PVA Osprey with a 130 berger at 2950. heres two at 899 yards on a 60%ipsc target
889 Yards.jpg
s two at

Those Osprey barrels shoot! The 7.5 will also work fine with those weight bullets obviously. Lol A little faster rarely hurts.

Reactions: bbhank and Nik H
1:8 in my Bergara, shoots 147s .5moa with hand loads.

Only box of factory ammo it's seen was Hornady 140 hpbt match. I bought it for brass waiting on Lapua I ordered, and figured I just needed some disposable Hornady.
It was surprisingly accurate for ammo that barely cost more than a bag of Hornady brass.

Faster twist would make sense to me if you wanted to run heavy copper monolithic projectiles, but there are so many really great copper jacketed lead core projectiles out there for 6.5mm.

I’ve been running a 7.5 and 7 twist barrels for close to five years now. It’s more of a habit but since it gives me an SG of 1.5 or greater with a variety of bullets since I have to use mono’s for hunting and have been going shorter on my barrels so I get the feel goods on paper. Outside of the warm fuzzies, there wasn’t much of a discernible difference that I recall with 130-140gr bullets.

1.8 with an 18" barrell and I use Winchester Deer Season 125g @ 2668f/s. Very accurate and I am very happy.

This query would probably be served better if combined with monolithic/solid projectiles. That’s likely where the quantifiable differences on target are with regard to barrel twist.

This query would probably be served better if combined with monolithic/solid projectiles. That’s likely where the quantifiable differences on target are with regard to barrel twist.
Curious if there is any advantage or disadvantage with the 147gr and heavier

I’d say it ultimately depends what bullet you want to shoot. I’ve always had 1:8s, but early returns on a new 1:7t 6.5x47 with heavies have been extremely promising.

The 8 will give you widest range of options, pretty much anything from 120-150+.

The 7 is obviously more optimized for 140+, especially if you’re not concerned with velocity. 153s are VERY stable even around 2600fps.

I shoot a 7.5 twist PVA Osprey with a 130 berger at 2950. heres two at 899 yards on a 60%ipsc targetView attachment 8019625s two at
Wow nice. I'm pondering a faster twist and close to 2,900-ish fps. Looks like your MV/twist puts you around 283k rpm....no bullet issues coming apart I assume? I've read 300,000 rpms as the number, but not sure how close is too close. Thanks and nice shootin.