• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor vs. 6mmBR

ilmonster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
I currently have a 20” Rem 700 SPS Tac in .223 that I’ve used out to 300 yards. It was one I bought with the Tupperware stock and built it up with a KRG Bravo stock, Timney 510, EGW base, TPS TSW rings and a Vortex PST II 5-25 scope and shoot 75 gr. BTHP Hornady bullets through. Set up like this, this originally cheap Rem 700 will shoot group after group at 1/2 MOA for 5 shot groups. Totally happy with it.

I’ve been playing with the idea of a 6mmBR rig for longer range shooting. My local range is 200 yds. I do have a 600 yard range 2 hours away that I’ve not been to yet. With a max shooting range of 600 yds, I realize I should be covered with the .223. I don’t need a new stick, but kind of want one (we know how that goes). If I were to build a 6mmBR, I’ve been thinking of going the Remage route and building it myself. Would be around $1,500 all in (receiver, barrel, recoil lug, barrel nut, trigger, Bravo stock, rail, MDT magazine, assembly tools, etc.).

Reason for the post is I’ve come across a Rem 700 ADL in 6.5CM for cheap. Cabela’s has 700 ADL’s on sale for $450 new (with Tupperware stock, 26” varmint barrel). I have ~ $250 in Cabela’s bucks, so that gets the purchase price down to $200 new. I would then add a Bravo stock, Timney, rail, etc. for an all in price of around $800. My conundrum is that building up a 6.5CM this way would be pretty darn cheap. I don’t need a 6.5CM for the distances I’m shooting, but the dirt cheap price really makes me think hard about a 6.5CM versus 6mmBR.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on 6.5CM (inexpensive) vs. 6mmBR (appropriate caliber, fun build)? Just north of $800 is very tempting. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yup, sure do. Have a Lee Classic Cast press that I load .223, 45-70 and 30-30 on. Separately have a Dillon SDB I load 4 handgun calibers on.

Either of these calibers I would hand load for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olen_4504
Yup, sure do. Have a Lee Classic Cast that I load .223, 45-70 and 30-30 on. Separately have a Dillon SDB I load 4 handgun calibers on.

Either of these calibers I would hand load for.

gotcha - if you didn't then that would have made your decision a no brainer haha.

i don't think you can go wrong either way. 6BR is a fun little round, i use it for PRS and previously shot 6.5c. 6br is inherently accurate and easy to load for (not that 6.5c isn't though), lighter recoil and components can be cheaper sometimes depending which ones you use.

would probably be boringly accurate at 600y.

If you want to buy something with the goal of shooting the smallest possible groups in paper at 600 yards, the 6BR is a pretty good choice. If you're shooting steel at 600 yards I find the 223 to be extremely capable at that range. I'd be tempted to just load up some slightly higher BC bullets in your current gun for the longer range trips, and to spend that $800 on upgrading your scope to whatever the next tier of optics is.

6br for 800 and in is money. It can go longer of course but it's not the 6.5creed in that respect.

Reloading 6br is very cost efficient it uses around 30gr of powder and you will get ridiculous brass life if you don't hot rod it.

Other than the slight discrepancy in the cost of 6mm projectiles vs .223 is cheaper for me to shoot than 224 valk and not much more than 223.

One thing to consider is that the CM will feed from any standard AICS mag. The 6BR will require it's own special mags (MDT makes one) or magazine kit (Primal Rights has a very nice one).

I have both and prefer the BR due to less recoil, it's cheaper to load for, and longer barrel life.

If I was shooting at 1K and beyond I would use the CM or maybe something with even more oomph (6.5x284, 6.5 PRC. Or 7 SAUM).

The 6BR is a really fun round to shoot and load for. At 600 and in, the only drawback is that it may get boring with how stupid-accurate it is. Better find smaller targets to make it fun and challenging!

Reactions: Oldly
I also do like the fact that barrel life is excellent with the 6mmBR and recoil isn't much more than my .223. The 6.5CM I'd like to put a muzzle brake on, but the 26" barrel on the ADL is not threaded which would be an additional cost. Can't imagine I'd need a brake on a BR. Magazines for the BR don't bother me as MDT has begun making a BR specific mag., and there are kits to convert conventional AI pattern mags to BR.

As Sutherlandsd said, brass life for BR is really good, which does play into the cost of the 6.5CM as Lapua brass is ~ $100 per 100 for either caliber. I think I may be convincing myself on the 6mmBR.

Reactions: Boltyboi
I have two AI's in .260 (nearly 6.5cm) and an AX in 6mm BR. All shot suppressed, paper and varminting, where the varminting is quite competitive -find it, range it, dial it, watch for a hit/miss (as buddy does the same) The 6mm BR is the favorite with near zero recoil on a heavy gun and near best in class at those ranges. Almost any load using around 30 gr. Varget or XBR-8208 will shoot true .5's barrel and brass life very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boltyboi
The only 1K yard range I'm aware of open to the public is a good 2 or 3 hours away (its actually a 1200 yard range). If I ever shot there, it would be maybe once a year. My home range is 20 min. away and is 200 yards. 45 min. away is a 300 yd. range. I'm guessing 600 is the farthest I'd shoot and only a few times per year. I do like making tiny groups on paper at 200 and 300 yds. I don't think saving $500 on a Creedmoor would be worth it. Plus, the 6BR will get to 1000 if necessary, but with a bit more drop and drift. I can afford either rig, I just like getting a deal!

Thanks for all the opinions!

Fwiw I shoot my 6br at 1000+yds almost every Friday morning ?

If the wind is down it's not really any harder than the creedmoor.

The APO summer sale ends today!! We have a few left in stock SABER M700's in .308 and 6.5CM Priced @ 755.00 plus shipping and the come with 20MOA scope base. Give the shop a call @ 434.296.8600
If youre just spoiling for a new bigger rifle this is a pretty hard to ignore deal for a creed, gets you a barreled action plus a chassis for 800 shipped if you call in TODAY

I bought a savage in 6.5cm from cabelas for super cheap same kind of deal then threw it in a chassis. I have about 1000 rounds down the factory barrel now and when I get closer to 2000 I am going to order up a 6bra or 6 dasher and try and sell my creedmoor reloading equipemnt on here. If you go remage you could do the same thing, the only double expense is the dies and stuff.

Yup, lots of good deals out there. The APO is tempting. Was also tempted when I saw new RPR's in 6 creedmoor a few months ago for $800.

Well, now I saw that Remington has a promotion until 8/10 giving an additional $75 off any of their 700 Varmint rifles, which this Cabela's special looks to be. So, $450 on sale, $75 rebate plus $250 in Cabela's bucks and we're talking a $125 rifle! That's cheaper than a SA action. I could buy this, shoot a while and then have a local smith remove the factory barrel and I could rebarrel it with a 6BR Remage. Only extra cost would be die's as I've already collected some Hornady 6.5CM brass at the range. Hmmm...

Last edited:
OK, I couldn't resist. Tonight I bought a Rem. 700 action...attached to a 26" 6.5CM varmint barrel, stock and trigger! For $125 net! Eventually to become a 6mmBR, but for now, I own a 6.5CM.

Last edited:
Curious to how you like the Remington. Keep hearing negative things about their QC, but wondering what your thoughts are on a new-age Rem 700. That price is a pretty sweet.

So far, so good. Took it out of the box, cleaned the barrel and the other surfaces. Greased up the bolt lugs and cycled it a bit. The finish looks good. The bolt cycles smoothly. The non-adjustable 40-X trigger (guessing the non-adjustability is what helped Cabela's get the rifle to this price point) is a bit heavy (don't have a trigger scale), but breaks very cleanly with very little over travel. Still need to order up a EGW pic rail to get an existing scope mounted and some rounds down range.

Speaking to Remington quality, I did purchase a Marlin 1895 (45-70) a few years ago (it was a few years after Remington purchased Marlin and got some of the kinks worked out) and it is as well made as my JM made 1894C. Have approx. 350 rounds through the 1895 and couldn't be happier.

Will report back on the Rem 700 after I get some rounds down range.

Last edited:
So far, so good. Took it out of the box, cleaned the barrel and the other surfaces. Greased up the bolt lugs and cycled it a bit. The finish looks good. The bolt cycles smoothly. The non-adjustable 40-X trigger (guessing the non-adjustability is what helped Cabela's get the rifle to this price point) is a bit heavy (don't have a trigger scale), but breaks very cleanly with very little over travel. Still need to order up a EGW pic rail to get an existing scope mounted and some rounds down range.

Speaking to Remington quality, I did purchase a Marlin 1895 (45-70) a few years ago (it was a few years Remington purchased Marlin and got some of the kinks worked out) and it is as well made as my JM made 1894C. Have approx. 350 rounds through the 1895 and couldn't be happier.

Will report back on the Rem 700 after I get some rounds down range.

Throw a Timney on it, put a scope base on and you'll be g2g.

When you're ready send it to LRI, have them true it, put a new recoil lug, thread the bolt handle for a knob and screw a Bartlein on chambered in 6BR!

Well, took it to the range today for the second time. The first time was to shoot, then clean, and shoot another and clean. Trying to break it in somewhat properly. Last week I received my rail and scope rings and got them mounted with a Vortex 5-15 I had laying around. Still in the orig. stock ( with a fair amt. of fore-end flex).

Took to the range today to sight in. 1st shot shown below after bore sighting at 50 yds.. Second shot was under the paster. Then I moved out to 100 yds and got that 3 shot group (not shooting too quickly to not heat up the barrel). That's a 3/8" group with a R700 that cost me under $200! I'm a happy camper.

The other 2 shots in the center were poorly adjusted scope adjustments where I made. Brain fart.

To Harman117, looks like Remington's quality is just fine, with a Hogue stock and stock trigger I'm happy with the group. Now time to clean again and shoot some more groups next week.

Now, I'm just waiting for a KRG Bravo to come in to match the Bravo on my .223, and a Trigger Tech Special trigger from the greater Grinnell Iowa area!

IMG_2955.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice deal on that rifle. Brownells has a Triggertech special USA edition for $140. ?

This weekend I'll go back out, but my range is only 200 yds for paper targets and 230 yds for steel they have hanging. Should have the new stock and trigger by then too. Will report back...

Well, got it put together. Rem 700 ADL, KRG Bravo stock, TPS base and rings, Vortex 5-15 scope (for the time being), Trigger Tech Special flat blade trigger:
IMG_2965.jpg

After a half dozen break in rounds, went out today to the 100 yd. range (200 yd was being used for a competition) and shot some groups with the Hornady 140 gr. American Gunner factory ammo. Averaged around 9/16" for 3 to 5 shots. Not bad for what started out as a $499 rifle with some discounts and upgrades. Couldn't be happier.

IMG_2983.jpg

Now I need to order some Forster dies, etc. and begin reloading my once fired shells, and moving out a few hundred yards. Really liking the 6.5CM. Also, Remington looks to be producing some decent rifles.

6BR at 600 yds I suggest you setup 1/2 moa targets to give them a chance. It's rediculously accurate at that range.