• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor

oldreliable45120

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2009
Long Island NY
I was womdering if someone was using something other than H-4350 for reloading. I'm out of that powder, but have a good supply of Varget,IMR-4064,and IMR-4350. My other powders are for my bigger guns,300 Win Mag and larger. I will be using a 140 BTHP. Thanks for any help.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor

I'm going to try RL-25 in mine. I've personally had better results in my .243 with the RL25 over the H-4350, so I thought I'd give it a shot in the CM.

I've Got a Built 6.5-250AI. and Varget is Been The best In It.I'm Not Sure How close it Is to The Creedmoor But They Look Very Close on paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldreliable45120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was womdering if someone was using something other than H-4350 for reloading. I'm out of that powder, but have a good supply of Varget,IMR-4064,and IMR-4350. My other powders are for my bigger guns,300 Win Mag and larger. I will be using a 140 BTHP. Thanks for any help. </div></div>

Got in touch with Hornady and they sent me a hand written copy of their loads in PDF format. It's handwritten but it what they will be putting in their books. If you would like a copy pm them on their website and they should send you a copy or send me your email address and I will send you a copy of what they sent me.They have loads for the IMR-4350 and Varget with the 140 gr. The loads for IMR are within just a .1 to.2 as with the H4350 with a max of 41.5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldreliable45120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Enios I just looked over the load data a little while ago. </div></div>

Hope that helps you out some. I just got back from the range and finding out most of the problems I've been having with my 308 were mine. I've always shot a loose rifle and the 308 likes to be backed up. Shot 4 5 shot 1 to 1 1/2" average groups at 175 yds but when I backed up the rifle and held on the next two groups were under 1/2". Guess that's what I get for playing with the 223's for the last 3 years so much. I've always done better with them shooting loose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to try RL-25 in mine. I've personally had better results in my .243 with the RL25 over the H-4350, so I thought I'd give it a shot in the CM. </div></div>

I dont think you could get near the FPS out of 25 then you could the 4350. Its about the right burn rate for that case. Im supprised the bullet made it past a few hundred yards with the 25....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Im supprised the bullet made it past a few hundred yards with the 25.... </div></div>

In my .243? RL-25 has always got me the best results (RL-17 was showing promising results as well, but I never followed up). I was getting 3050fps with the 25, and grouping well.

Ok i guess if your running the 115's in this that might raise the pressure enough to use the 25. But its still a fairly slow burning powder for this case. 4831 is to slow for the 6.5 so i would look at trying the faster powders like 4350. So no dont try the 25 in it its to slow for the 6.5.

What is the barrel life for the 6.5CM compared to the 6.5x47, 260 and 6.5x284?

I know 284 is the worst (as my shot out barrel can attest), but how much better are the other three in relation?

4,000-5,000 rounds is the neighborhood but like any round it depends on your shooting. Shoot it hot and fast and it will be less. Slow and plenty of cooling time then more. Hell my .308 took a dump at a little over 4000 and needed to be set back. It gets shot hot and fast.

Try Varget with you 6.5CM I used it in my 260s for years an it worked great and was very accurate with the 140s. I used anywhere from 37 to 38.5grs with the 140s in my 260s.

Rob,
I think that kindof round count out of the CM is pretty optomistic. I an on my 4th 260 barrel an 3000rds has been about the best I can do even with a set back at around 1700rds. My guns shot in comps only went 2000+or-

I just don't see the CM doing any better than the 260s but maybe I will be proven wrong. I would love to get that many rounds out of one. I would switch in a heartbeat!!!

Different shoulder angle is supposed to help but like I said it depends on how you shoot them. I'm at about 1200 rounds through mine and it's shooting great so far. We'll see.