• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor

LanceHighcountry

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2022
Littleton, CO
I bought a Tikka T3X Tact A1 6.5 Creedmoor but the weather has been so bad, I haven't shot it yet. I loaded up some 140 ELDM and 143 ELDX. This will primarily be a target rifle rather than hunting rig. Is there a clear choice between the two bullets I loaded up or is there something even better? My mission is to hit 1,000 yards this summer.

Either will get you there. My 140gr eld goes transonic around 1450yds. I also load the 143ELDx for hunting as I have them.

No problem. In the middle of doing a load development for a new barrel and between the rain and storms it's taking too long. Haven't been able to get my SD and ES numbers where I want with the CCI 34's but the accuracy is there. So going to play around one more time before I give up since I have a few bricks to get rid of.

20230405_080113.jpg

Reactions: LanceHighcountry
Bergers tend to be the gold standard, but 140 ELDM are very good and used by top shooters.

I'm not a top shooter, but do weekly 1000 yard shoots. The bullet ain't the issue, that damn wind is! (Or my inability to read it)

Using 140 Eldms......

Reactions: LanceHighcountry
I have the same rifle. I had trouble getting bullets last year and ended up with Lapua Scenar-L 136. They have been consistent and shoot far better than I do, getting SD of around 6 with 40.9g H4350, but on the slow side at 2660fps. There were pressure signs as I moved into the 41.5 range without a significant gain in speed.

The 140 ELDM seems to be a faster bullet. Another shooter in my squad yesterday was using them and did very well. At 1,000 his adjustment was 1 mil less than mine.

I have been shooting ELD-X’s since 2017. They seem to provide excellent accuracy. For a hunting bullet, I would have no issues shooting a match with them.

That will be a walk in the park. Last summer I was able to hit a 24" x24" AR500 plate 3 times out of 10 at 1.553 yards with my 6.5CM.

good morning. i got a tikka tac a1 in 6.5 creedmoor and i'am going to be using eld m 140 with h4350
i did a test to see where the lands was and i got 2.3820 in length. measuring. for the ogive. what would be a good length to start at 2.360??? maybe not sure???
any help would be appreciated !!!!

2.382 seems long compared to my T3x A1 with same components, I have 2.31. Regardless, -0.020” is good to go. Don't forget proper headspace and neck tension.

Last edited:
Reactions: sifer0425
thanks i got the headspace worked out perfect, 3thou back, 2thou was a bit tight so went 3thou which works. and got the neck tension worked out now. had it wrong but got it worked out now. i've heard and read guys were going back 60thou back sometimes, but got wondering about that!!
i know on a bergara i use i have a totally different length and i've read that tikkas load long so wanted to make sure. thank you!! also the gun was used so i think the lands maybe has moved!! not sure

i've also heard guys saying they are pushing back 60thou to start so i'am wondering if i should start at 2.360 ?? any ideas would help!!

2.382 seems long compared to my T3x A1 with same components, I have 2.31. Regardless, -0.020” is good to go. Don't forget proper headspace and neck tension.
yea neck tension i got is .264 plus .014 plus .014 minus .002 which would be .290 tension !!!

yea neck tension i got is .264 plus .014 plus .014 minus .002 which would be .290 tension !!!
If you're also using Lapua brass, that's the same neck tension I'm using with both Redding and SAC .290 bushings. (Need to check runout between each bushing, don't have the tool yet.) BTW - don't forget brass spring-back of .0005, so the NT will be about .0015".

If you're also using Lapua brass, that's the same neck tension I'm using with both Redding and SAC .290 bushings. (Need to check runout between each bushing, don't have the tool yet.) BTW - don't forget brass spring-back of .0005, so the NT will be about .0015".
i'am not using lapua, i'am using hornady. lapua brass i dont have a neck bushing for. so the numbers i got were from watching ultimate reloading when he was doing 6.5 creedmoor rounds with starline brass,