• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
I know there's already a thread open for this cartridge, but its mostly .260, and seeing as how popular 6.5CM is getting, coupled with the lack of info in load manuals, I think it should have its own thread.
I just got my new set of dies in, so I'll be posting up some info in the days to come.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor

The Hornady Match 140 AMAX's were shooting so well in my rifle, I decided to try an duplicate them. Only difference I did was the use of CCI #250 Magnum primers. Even so, the average velocity was about 100fps less in my loads that the Hornady loaded ammo. Not sure if they are running some loose neck tension or maybe more powder than what they say. I found the Hornady ammo averaged about 2790fps out of my LR-6.5 w/ 26" barrel

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady Match 140 AMAX's were shooting so well in my rifle, I decided to try an duplicate them. Only difference I did was the use of CCI #250 Magnum primers. Even so, the average velocity was about 100fps less in my loads that the Hornady loaded ammo. Not sure if they are running some loose neck tension or maybe more powder than what they say. I found the Hornady ammo averaged about 2790fps out of my LR-6.5 w/ 26" barrel </div></div>

What chronograph are you using and are you sure that it's reading correctly?

I had 3 rounds of factory ammo that I pulled down and weighed the charges on. Not a statistically valid test, but it does show ballpark. I got:

41.35, 41.55, 41.50 gr in them. After being re-assembled they shot 2660, 2668, 2666fps from my 22" bolt gun. When I trickled 41.5gr of H4350 into new brass I got 2670fps across 10 rounds. The load shot well, but not as good as it could. The "nirvana" load was 41.7gr at 2675fps.

I have since switched to CCI #200's because I didn't have any more of the FGMM primers. The node for me now is 41.9gr at 2675fps and it shoots just as well as the 41.7gr with FGMM primers.