• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmor 18.5''-20'' ?

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Anybody done a 6.5 Creedmor in a bolt action? I've heard the BC's and trajectory are far superior to the .308. Was just wondering what my velocities would be out of a 18.5" or 20" barrel. I know Hornady makes the 140 grain and 120 grain. I'm about to start a build and was going to do a .308 from GA and pretty much do a Gladius type build but I'm kinda wanting to do it a little diffrent and kind of make it my own. I'm not a reloader (don't have time or know how) but I love to shoot. I thought maybe a 6.5 Creedmor would be a unique road to travel (flat shooting,hornady factory ammo, and good barrel life) Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Also, would I be able to run a surefire can with a 6.5 combo or do they even make one for that round. I would assume not but just wanted to ask.

Re: 6.5 Creedmor 18.5''-20'' ?

where the 6.5 boolet shines is out long....same with the 6mm......if you want to be a door kicker launch some 12ga slugs....if you want to tag stuff out far-a-ways down range in the wind.......prolly want to keep the barrel as long as you dare

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where the 6.5 boolet shines is out long....same with the 6mm......if you want to be a door kicker launch some 12ga slugs....if you want to tag stuff out far-a-ways down range in the wind.......prolly want to keep the barrel as long as you dare </div></div>

What he said. I don't know that I'd chop a CM like that. Mine is 25" and I wish I'd hung it out there longer...

First on the can, you can get any .30 can and it will work fine on the 6.5.

On the barrel length, mine is at 28" long and have used it at matches over the past year and have no problems with it as far as maneuverability. If I was going to stick a can on it I wouldn't go shorter than 24" especially if you are not loading for it and using factory ammo.

Most 6.8 cans are simply 223 cans with a wider opening. I would stick with 30 Cal cans since the round has 30 cal pressures and capacity.

As Lowlight has shown you can reach 1,000 yards with an 18" 308. A 6.5 Creedmore 140 grain AMAX arrives at 1K with nearly twice the energy most 308's do. It will be supersonic out to 1300 yards +. And they are $20 a box loaded from Hornady. Cut the barrel to whatever ya want, you aren't going to hurt it unless you want to compete for 1K often enough.

WYK

I will be testing a 23" GAP 6.5 Creedmoor barrel as soon as I have time. I went 23" instead of 27" because I plan to shoot it suppressed most of the time. I will see what kind of velocity it kicks out.

Darin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be testing a 23" GAP 6.5 Creedmoor barrel as soon as I have time. I went 23" instead of 27" because I plan to shoot it suppressed most of the time. I will see what kind of velocity it kicks out.

Darin </div></div>

That will be interesting. Keep us posted...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be testing a 23" GAP 6.5 Creedmoor barrel as soon as I have time. I went 23" instead of 27" because I plan to shoot it suppressed most of the time. I will see what kind of velocity it kicks out.

Darin</div></div>

Yes, please keep us posted. I'm very curious, as to the accuracy as well.

Guys,

GAP did the 23" barrel for my AW so the limiting factor to accuracy will be the nut behind the trigger. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can report accuracy and velocity information.

Thanks,
    Darin

I'm more interested in velocity, rather than accuracy. If GAP builds it, I'm confident it'll shoot.

I like how a 18-20" rifle handles. I'd be real interested in hearing how CM does in a short barrel. I'm toying with the idea of a short 7-08 myself.

I'm anxious to see about the velocity too. I've been trying to decide between a short 7-08 or the CM for my next build.

If there is enough daylight left tomorrow night I will run out and break in the barrel and chrono the beast.

Darin

Don't forget about us, we are still waiting. I have all the faith in GAP as well as far as the accuracy goes.

Sorry for the delay. I just got back into town from an "HK Build Class" in Stilwell, OK hosted by Jeff Walters and Prusik USA.

The GAP 23" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel with Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 120 grain ammo at 90 degrees and 1300' elevation averaged 2,876.2 fps for 20 shots over 2 hours. I shut off my PACT IV chrono/timer before looking for SD and such. I do not know if I can retrieve that information after I turned it off.

No detailed information on accuracy yet but it was drilling the LL dot drill target. Hopefully I can work this setup next Saturday AM before it gets very hot and report more information.

I will see if I can retrieve anything else tomorrow. I have to get to bed!

Darin

Sweet stuff, thats pretty good velocity. You got any 140 grain? If you do some accuracy work please post pics. Would love to see the rifle too!

K9222,

I hope to test the 140's next Saturday AM.

I will have to post some pics of the gun and groups as soon as I get the chance.

Darin

Finally got to chrono the Hornady factory 140's in the 23" 6.5 Creedmoor this afternoon. 2,652 fps average for 10 shots at 1300 feet, 83 degrees and 3-8 mile per hour cross wind.

Accuracy was great. My shooting conditions were less than stellar! My friends' range hadn't been mowed and to get the rifle up above the grass and weeds required the bipod to sit on a 2x6 and the Accu-Shot monopod to be fully extended and sit on a 4" bean bag. The hold was pretty solid vertically but the scope picture moved sideways back and forth pretty bad. My 100 yard 5 shot group measured .3 vertically and .95 horizontally. My group would have been much bigger except for applying what I am learning in LL's online training course! The group was fired with an AAC Cyclone-K attached. Suppression level was VERY pleasing.

I plan to bring a mower than next time I go up to this range (friend's back yard behind the horse barn) and order the range bags from Rifle's Only.

I hope this helps someone.

Take care,
    Darin Reiss
    FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

Good stuff. Like I said I was thinking about doing a 18.5-20" 6.5 CM but I think the velocities would drop to low for the 140 grain but the 120 grainers should be pretty good. I may just do a .308 and run 155 palma matches or scenars. Who knows what I'll do, I just want the best all around gun I can get. (Extremely accurate w/short barrel,good velocities,and long range out to 1,000 yards)