• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmor semi-auto bullet selection - what are you shooting?

gilk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
building a 6.5 in AR10 (20"). Im planning on shooting the Hornady ELD. What weight bullet works best in a semi auto platform to achieve the most efficient ballistics? Is the extra velocity with the 130gr worth the loss in BC over a 140 or 147. I can't find any info on velocity of these bullets in a gas gun to do a ballistic comparison. What are you guys shooting and what velocities are you getting?

Seems like the platform (gas vs bolt) wouldn't usually dictate bullet selection. I would think the only issue would be mag length. With the longer bullets (140 & 147) and a hefty load of powder in the case, you may either be seated too long or compressing the load too much trying to make mag length. All I can say is my brothers AR10 in 260 seems to like 120-class bullets best, which probably means nothing to you.

260 vs 6.5cm in a gas gun are different animals. You aren't mag limited with 6.5cm, 260 you are. Well as long as your running KAC mags. I run 130 eld and 140 eld in my 6.5cm.

Been using 140gr ELDs with pretty good results. The 130 ELDs have been less consistent for me but I only tried one load with them so far. My rifle (JP LRP07) seems to like the old 123gr Amax, but can't get them anymore. May try some 123gr Sierra next.

Berger 130gr AR Hybrids were designed specifically for calibers like 260 out of a gas gun. They're more expensive than the ELDMs, but should be worth a try.

I'm using the 140gr ELDs and am not that great a shot, but when I do my part I'm averaging around .75 MOA out of a 6.5 CM JP LRP-07. I'm pretty sure the limitation is me and not the round or the rifle. Velocity averages 2650 fps - 22inch barrel.

I finally got ahold of some 130gr Federal Berger GMM and hope to test it this weekend.

Last edited:
Run factory loads- 140gr ELDM and 130gr PRIME. reloading my own w 140gr ELDM bullets.

Shooting submoa in my gasser, 22" krieger/mega build

Attachments

• WoMPjY0.jpg
    WoMPjY0.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 39
140 Amax-have a bunch fm single lots. 139 Scenars are exceptional in several 6.5 CR barrels fm 21-24". Bartlein, Lilja and Criterion barrels all pretty tolerant and relatively easy to work up loads for.

140 Amax-have a bunch fm single lots. 139 Scenars are exceptional in several 6.5 CR barrels fm 21-24". Bartlein, Lilja and Criterion barrels all pretty tolerant and relatively easy to work up loads for.

got any groupings w the scenars? Going to order a few of those and bergers for reloads

I have shot multiple groups around .510-.525 with Lapua 120's. They definitely get pushed around in the wind more though.
If I just want to buy off the shelf and go shoot, I can consistently get .70 out of the Hornady 147 ELD-M ammo. Very solid out of my GAP-10. 10.6 mils to hit steel at 1250 with very solid regularity.
Ive shot 143 ELD-M and the ELD-X as well. My gun likes them all just fine.
I love the 120 Lapua's for out to 500, but the 147's just hammer out at distance.