• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmore or 6.5+47

Moof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Celestine Indiana
Can't make up my mind here! I'm wantin to build a target rifle off of a 700 short action in a AI stock and cant deside on a 6.5 creedmore or a 6.5+47. Neither round do I know much about but do know the creedmore is a new round while being very simular. Wantin to through lead around the 140 gr. mark prolly. Most of my plinkin will be at a stinkin 100 yds but want the ability to poke out to 1K with it. PLEASE let me know what you think! I like my pac nor thats on my 7-08 build and prolly stick with that brand of tube. 24 inch tube or 26??? I know there's alot of you 6.5 47 guys on here so tell me some pro and cons. Thanx

Re: 6.5 creedmore or 6.5+47

I built a straight .260 and glad I did. Look at brass and other components and the ease of purchasing them, that may help you narrow it down.

Ya the 260 I thought about but the COAL is prolly to long for to feed out of the AI mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya the 260 I thought about but the COAL is prolly to long for to feed out of the AI mags. </div></div>

COAL is the 6.5x47 Lapua's strong suit. I shoot .260 Remington and have to deal with the COAL issue on a regular basis. If COAL is a significant concern then I think the obvious pick is the 6.5x47 Lapua.

BTW, any of those three cartridges (6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x47 Lapua or 260 Remington) will serve you well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya the 260 I thought about but the COAL is prolly to long for to feed out of the AI mags. </div></div>

Na, mine feeds out of an AI mag like a fat chick at a buffet.

Just for conversation, I'm running 130 Bergers at 2,875 fps from Nosler Brass, Bartlien barrel. Actual moa to 1k is 25.25

Does anyone know what the difference between 6-5x47and the creedmore is? Doesnt Lapua make brass for the 47? I'd be game for that!

Something about 6.5x47 LAPUA makes me think Lapua would make brass....
laugh.gif

Thought I saw some in Midway the other day but the miles are make me see thing that aren't really there also...

Fuck it! Just do a 6.5x47Lapua. Id like to play around with one, and if you build it, I dont have to pay for it!

I don't know how new you are to the 6.5's. But I would recommend reading Zak Smith's shootout...

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

I went with the 6.5x47 Lapua and should be getting it in the next couple of months. I went with a 26" barrel just to get all the fps that I could. I'm going to be trying the 140's first. If I can't keep them below 1/2 MOA and above 2800fps I will be using the 130gr Bergers or JLKs. I'll limit my response to that since I don't have that much real world use with any of the 6.5s.

LOL ya I just got done reading all that then came back to the Hide and saw what you two posted for me! Cool thanks guys for the intell. Gona do a 47 mainly due to the brass. Some day when I gather up all the lil parts to build this jewl i'll post a picture up and show what a Truckers toy looks like.

I built up a 6.5 x 47 L this january and could not be happier. I got the reamer from Dave Kiff at PTG with a 0.160 freebore to shoot 140's. I currently shoot Berger 130 g VLD's once I found how well these shoot I stopped looking for other options.

A question for 6.5 x 47 shooters, have you found an accurate load with RL-17? I can push 130's to 3,000 fps without pressure signs with RL 17 but the accuracy with any charge weight of 17 has not been good. The 5-shot groups at 100 yards with 17 were always over 1 inch. My current loads use Varget and I am happy with it I was just playing with 17 for something different.

Thanks

Creedmoor gives you MATCH factory ammo at half the cost of Lapua, especially since rare reloading components are hardly available and factory velocities are higher...

Hungry brain fodder
whistle.gif

Me, I like 6.5, but for non-LR applications I prefer something with around the case capacity of the .250 savage. So, a 6.5-250 Savage wildcat (which I believe has already been developed) could manage bullets from the 85gr SRA Varminter HP, on up to the Lapua 144 Scenar, for applications ranging from varmints, to AR-types, to subsonics; and components could easily be made or used outright from existing items. A 1:8" twist would be the E-Ticket for any of these bullets, and barrel lengths over 24" would likely not be to any advantage.

But my ideas seldom fly...

Greg

260 Bobcat a.k.a. 6.5/250

Might check with JGS, pretty sure they show the 260 Bobcat on their reamer list.

I had a rem 700 varmint in 260 remington. It was a factory rifle and it would shoot pretty well. The problem i had with that rifle was the long throat. I had to set the bullet way out to touch the lands so i couldnt load them in a magazine. I had to shoot them single shot. I sold that fine rifle and went with a 6.5CM. My 6.5 rem 700 has a krieger barrel and sits in an Accuracy international stock. I have zero problems touching the land and feeding out of a magazine in that rig. I know that remington factory rifle have long throat issues so if i had had a custom barrel with a custom chamber i probably wouldn't have had any trouble. I like the creedmoor because i own one. If i had a 6.5x47L i would like it to!! Half dozen of one 6 of the other!! Lee

The only absolute advantage to the creedmoor is with the 160's still fitting in a
308 length mag. The other thing I like is hornady using commercial powders and
publishing their loads. Their website has the info on it. They also kept the pressures
well under 60k

read the article and it looks like 6.5 creedmore is the way to go.

'Wheeler,

160's??
Rumor has it that Hornady may take the 130 Amax to the board for approval and load 'em up in the Creed...

MMMWWWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!