• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmore with Lapua brass shoulder concern

AnotherNewbie

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2018
I load 42.7 of 4350 and after 3 reloads I'm loosing accuracy. I used new lapua brass and resize neck and body ( redding or forster dies ) separately and through the 1st 3 loads all is well but now on the 3rd it almost looks like the neck needs to be turned ( with century 21 lathe ) as the shoulder looks to have lost its crisp shape. I reload .223 and .308 and never saw this before to somewhere around 5th to 6th reload and just wondering if its common/inherit with 6.5 or am I loading it so hot that this is a problem relating to how hot ( not sure if that's really that hot ) I'm supposedly loading. Or maybe could it just be some weak brass possibly . Anyway any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I load 42.7 of 4350 and after 3 reloads I'm loosing accuracy. I used new lapua brass and resize neck and body ( redding or forster dies ) separately and through the 1st 3 loads all is well but now on the 3rd it almost looks like the neck needs to be turned ( with century 21 lathe ) as the shoulder looks to have lost its crisp shape. I reload .223 and .308 and never saw this before to somewhere around 5th to 6th reload and just wondering if its common/inherit with 6.5 or am I loading it so hot that this is a problem relating to how hot ( not sure if that's really that hot ) I'm supposedly loading. Or maybe could it just be some weak brass possibly . Anyway any insight would be greatly appreciated.

What bullet?
140 ELDM
Went today with chrono and saw where 41.2 @ 2770 FPS and 41.3 @ 2773 FPS for one node and also 41.4 @ 2795 FPS and 41.5 @ 2788 FPS so thinking one of those might work out.
Will load 10 of each and see which might be better but I think its going to be a toss up.
Only thing I'm loosing ( from 42.7 load ) is about 15 to maybe 25 FPS stepping down but may extend brass life considerably.

Last edited:
140 ELDM
Went today with chrono and saw where 41.2 @ 2770 FPS and 41.3 @ 2773 FPS for one node and also 41.4 @ 2795 FPS and 41.5 @ 2788 FPS so thinking one of those might work out.
Will load 10 of each and see which might be better but I think its going to be a toss up.
Only thing I'm loosing ( from 42.7 load ) is about 15 to maybe 25 FPS stepping down but may extend brass life considerably.
I bet your on the right track.

Reactions: rockchalk06
I kinda suspected that. Just looking for a few to confirm.

Depending on bullet, I've never gone over 41.5 of H4350 in 140 grain Nolser CC/SMK/Berger VLD. 40.9 seems to be my sweet spot in a 22" stock HMR for every 140 I've tried so far.

Hornady is showing 42 is max for that bullet. I know they are on the conservative side of published data, but that seems like a pretty stuff load. 2780 is smoking.

Yeah I agree , I just took what someone said for granted and after 3 reloads brass was flowing bad. I'm testing 40.8 to 41.5 and I can see there is a node there. Gonna turn that old brass in my century 21 lathe and see if I can reload it a few more times at a lower charge. Even though the 42.7 was high, it was accurate as can be and if I could not retrieve the brass it probably would have been fine shot once or maybe twice but that's about it.