• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creemoor and vld 140

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I am looking for peoples experiences with the 6.5 creedmoor and the berger 140 vld's I am looking for a nice all around rifle and this looks like a good combo on paper p-dog, target , and long range deer/antelope round. thanks scott

Re: 6.5 creemoor and vld 140

Haven't used the 140 VLD but have used the 140 AMAX and it works very well. You can get velocities in the 2850-2870fps range pretty easy sitting it on some H4350.

In my gun I can get the berger 140vld about 10 thous off the lands without modified AI mags or machining the feed ramp. The 142 SMK's will go about 15thous into the lands. In my gun the 130 Berger shoot the best then the 140 Berger and then the 142 SMK. But in all reality they are so close that I just shoot the 142 SMK becouse they are easier to find.

Scott

thanks guys I think i am going to build one on my fn spr action because the ammo fits easily in the magazine. I wanted to shoot the bergers because supposedly they are better hunting bullets than the hornady's, not speaking from experience just what I have heard.

At what length do you start losing velocity with the barrel? I was thinking about doing 24" #5 contour fluted with muzzle break in a manner light weight stock.

We run 28" barrels to get the most out of the round. I would stay around 26" if you plan on shooting it at long range but if you just plan on hunting to a few hundred yards then 22-24" will be fine too.

I will be shooting out to at least 1000yds and hunting to 700-800. What stocks are you guys using? I have mcmillan a5s on my target rifles but am looking for a better all around stock any suggestions? I was eyeballing the manners mcs-t light version.

I have a Manners T3 on mine and like it but if you were going to be hunting I would go with the T. I like the McMillan HTG style and went with the T3 to try the larger forend. It works well for what I use it for but I don't hunt.
    P3040437.jpg