• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel 16.1 VS 22 inch

264winmag

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2017
Kentucky
I have a 6.5 Grendel in a Ruger predator bolt gun 22 inch barrel with it suppressed so basically 30 inches if I buy the Ruger Ranch 16.1 an suppress it, am I gonna see much difference in Proformace it’s my hunting rifle for my wife an kids. We used the 22inch suppressed this year with awesome success wasn’t sure if the 16.1 would loose much of the Proformace of that caliber. I am only looking at shorter barrel because it’s much easier to maneuver around

It really depends on the distance you plan to shoot. Inside 300-500 you won’t see a huge negative. Drop the velocities in a ballistic calculator and see if the drop performance bothers you.

Reactions: Dragonscout25
It really depends on the distance you plan to shoot. Inside 300-500 you won’t see a huge negative. Drop the velocities in a ballistic calculator and see if the drop performance bothers you.
All shots with wife an kids will be 250 yards an less

With different propellants there is no set rule on how much velocity you give up for every inch less of barrel in a Grendel, but a good ballpark is in the neighborhood of ~ 20 - 25 FPS/in. So I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that you'd lose AROUND 120 - 150 FPS total.

One of the great things about the Grendel is that it is very efficient and doesn't lose the velocity quicky when shortening a barrel (unlike the cartridge you used as your screen name).

If shooting at and under 250 yards you won't be left for wanting that extra six inches of barrel, and I'll be that 16.1 is a lot handier too.

With different propellants there is no set rule on how much velocity you give up for every inch less of barrel in a Grendel, but a good ballpark is in the neighborhood of ~ 20 - 25 FPS/in. So I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that you'd lose AROUND 120 - 150 FPS total.

One of the great things about the Grendel is that it is very efficient and doesn't lose the velocity quicky when shortening a barrel (unlike the cartridge you used as your screen name).

If shooting at and under 250 yards you won't be left for wanting that extra six inches of barrel, and I'll be that 16.1 is a lot handier too.
I agree an with a 8 inch suppressor it really won’t loose much if any I wouldn’t think vs a 22 inch not suppressed

I went from a 24” to a 20” on my 6.5G, and don’t feel like I lost anything. Actually, I gained a lot more accuracy, less weight, and the shorter length works much better with my suppressors.
Thanks that’s good to know.. man I was very impressed with the damage done an effective kills this caliber does with the Hornady Black 123 match factory loads