• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel 18" SPR, now with SF can

vmpglenn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2004
Fitchburg, WI
I built this 6.5 Grendel AR around an Alexander Arms 20" button rifled barrel. I had the barrel cut to 18.25" and threaded 5/8x24. I also had the LaRue gas block pinned. The gas system is rifle length, and it works very well with Hornady 123gr Amax factory loads, throwing brass to my 4 o'clock in a neat pile about 7 feet away.

The handguard is a Centurion Arms rifle length freefloater, which is sort of unique in that it uses a standard AR barrel nut. No worries thought - it's solid and very sturdy.

I have 80 rounds of the Hornady ammo through the rifle so far, with the only hiccup coming from a weak spring in one of my C-Products magazines. The first thing I did when I got home was to finally replace all my C-P mag springs with upgraded ISMI units. As an aside, I use the same mags for 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC without issue (provided the factory springs are replaced).

The 123gr Amax loads chrono at 2510fps, which is right where you'd expect out of an 18.25" barrel.

The best I could do today was MOA or so at 100 yards - nothing to write home about. The rifle is accurate, but my trigger control needs work. I see lots more dry-fire practice in my future.

This one is fun to shoot, and having Hornady match ammo at way under $18 a box is nice.

65spr18_01.jpg

65spr18_02.jpg

Re: 6.5 Grendel 18" SPR

Nice rifle there. As for the trigger control, what trigger do you have in it right now? If it's basic OEM, then you owe it to yourself to upgrade it.

I like that Centurion forearm. I had them build me an upper last year before he released that one, and if it had been out I definitely would have gone that route instead.

I'm using a Geissele DMR, which is about as good a trigger as you can get without going superlight (which I would never do in a semiauto). It's definitely the nut behind the gun...

I do like the Grendel. I think it is the perfect compromise between the 5.56x45 and the 7.62x39, while dramatically outperforming either cartridge at long distances (400-1000 meters). If ammo prices come down, I can see this cartridge becoming the one to beat for long range practical rifle courses.

The Army's MTU has done research showing that a 123 grain 30 cal bullet at 2500 FPS has less recoil than a 123 grain 6.5mm bullet. It has something to do with the way the propellent gases push on the rear of the bullet. The larger the pushing surface (30 cal vs 264/6.5mm) the less felt recoil there is.

But, the 30 cal bullet just can't keep up with the same weight 6.5mm bullet at long distances. For the army, at ranges inside 300 yards or so, the BC just wasn't as important as lower recoil.

I got my Surefire brake mounted and shot a few rounds with the can attached. Shift in zero is half a mil straight down, which is easy to dial or hold over for.

Really loud with the brake, really fun with the can...
wink.gif

65sprsfbrake.jpg

65sprsfcan.jpg