• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel/6.8 SPC Info

UgashikBob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake AK
Trying to find a reliable mag for my 6.5 Grendel. Can't seem to find the 6.5 Grendel forum. Did it go the way of the Buffalo? I also have a 6.8 SPC and a 6MMWOA that use unmarked magazines. Do the Grendel and 6.8 mags interchange?

Re: 6.5 Grendel/6.8 SPC Info

C-product 6.5G mags have worked pretty well for me.

Latest version mags from AA have worked flawlessly, earlier mags from AA were not so hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">C-product 6.5G mags have worked pretty well for me.

Latest version mags from AA have worked flawlessly, earlier mags from AA were not so hot.
</div></div>

+1 I have had no problems with c-products mags when used with my grendel.

Just ordered both from C products. Will help ID what I have. I had one of the first 50 Grendels and there were issues with the mags.
Thanks for the tips

You have the steel magazine body, green follower? Think it was made by ProMag.....nothing but trouble for me in my 6.5G.

New C-product mags with blue follower, very reliable.
Newer mags from AA, with blue follower are also good to go.

I'll try to get some pictures of the old mags that don't work, might help you ID mags you have on hand.

FCS:
Have been away from this Grendel/6.8 SPC thing for several years and didn't document well. I know I had issues with the orginal AA mags then went to CProducts. Have a couple of their mags with the CProduct logo on the bottom plate and 6.5 Grendel stamped below. I managed to acquire different colored followers (blue,green,red) and springs somewhere.
Since CProducts lists different mags for 6.5 and 6.8 I assume they aren't interchangeable. I have a couple 6.8 mags with 6.8 stamped on the side but the 10 & 20 round sizes have me confused since they have every colored follower in the rainbow and no markings. My 223 mags are easy since they are all colt mags and stamped on the bottom plate. When you have .204/223/6mmwoa/6.5g/6.8spc and 50 Beowulf it gets a little confusing. The 204 and 50 are easy but having a problem sorting out the rest.
MagazineLogo.jpg
12302010-2.jpg

The first photo is one of my 6.8 SPC mags clearly marked.
Second photo is more challangeing. The two mags on the far left are CProducts 6.5 Grendel mags. Had I taken a better photo you could clearly see the CProducts 6.5 Grendel markings on the upper black mag's bottom plate. The second camo mag from the left is unmarked but had 6mmWOA rounds in it (6.8SPC necked to 6mm) so I assume that is a 6.8 mag but is unmarked.
The second mag from the right is a standard 223 Colt mag and is so marked on the bottom plate.
The mags on the far right are all mystery mags. The bottom of the three has the CProducts logo on the bottom plate and nothing else and the upper two are totally unmarked.
I assumed it would be as easy as matching up the lip patterns but it wasn't. When I get the 6.5G and 6.8SPC mags I just ordered from CProducts I should be able to match any other Grendel or 6.8 mags to them. Does anyone know if the original AA Grendel mags were identifiable in any way? To add even more confusion I found a unmarked plastic bag with red, blue and green plastic followers and springs. Got to learn to document better.

Check out 44mag.com for both 6.5 and 6.8 thats where i get all mine and you cant beat there price and they have free shipping to boot.

Glad I clicked on this post. I need some more mags for my new Grendel setup and nobody ever seems to have em. Wish I'd seen it before I ordered from Midway, but I needed a couple other items from them anyways. Thanks for the info on 44mag

Bob,

Look at the depth of the ridges in front. Deepest will be the .223/5.56 next will be the 6.8 mags and shallowest will be the 6.5 Grendel. That's the deep ridge towards the front of the magazine.

6.5 Grendel should also have a blue follower, .223/5.56 should be green. I don't remember what color the 6.8's were.

SW:
Thanks for the advice. The only problem with color coded followers is somewhere I acquired a rainbow of followers and didn't follow convention.
Hard to overdocument

Bob,

Sorry about getting that kind of deal on the followers. I guess it'll be a one by one evaluation of the ridges.

I just thought of something I heard. If you look at the side of the mags at the ridges. As noted .223 is deepest. But, due to the shorter case the two rear ridges on the 6.5 grendel are going to be closer spaced than the 6.8 and further to the rear. So you should be better able to differentiate between 6.8's and 6.5's by the rear ridges.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Edit:

I'm calling them ridges, when in fact I mean the grooves. They are first to strengthen the magazine wall and second to guide the round.</span>

I bought some of those C-Product mags and boy they look wimpy. Do they hold up?

Also, has anyone tried to modify the follower on a Magpul PMAG for the Grendel? I have a big pile of PMAGs and they kick ass - would love to use a few of them on the Grendel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought some of those C-Product mags and boy they look wimpy. Do they hold up?

Also, has anyone tried to modify the follower on a Magpul PMAG for the Grendel? I have a big pile of PMAGs and they kick ass - would love to use a few of them on the Grendel.

</div></div>

They are tougher than GI 5.56 mags. CProduct mags are made out of Stainless steel vs. aluminum. I don't remember what my AA's were.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought some of those C-Product mags and boy they look wimpy. Do they hold up?

</div></div>

They are tougher than GI 5.56 mags. CProduct mags are made out of Stainless steel vs. aluminum. I don't remember what my AA's were. </div></div>

I actually believe Cproducts makes the mags for AA. I bought mine directly from Cproducts. Fast service and they work as advertised.

C-products is GTG 'cause they stand behind their product--even
took care of a defective AA mag

I would like to hear from people who use 6.8 mags in the Grendel
---with specific brands and mods

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">C-products is GTG 'cause they stand behind their product--even
took care of a defective AA mag

<span style="font-weight: bold">I would like to hear from people who use 6.8 mags in the Grendel
---with specific brands and mods</span></div></div>

I would really advocate going with 6.8 for 6.8 and 6.5 for 6.5 as they are now made cartridge specific and at this point very inexpensive. Just works better all the way around as I see it.