• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel Barrel Length for Hunting

BACB

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2020
Missouri allows the use of a pistol (including AR platforms) during muzzleloader deer season. I know this is crazy, but hey…if they allow it, who am I to argue.

I’m looking for advice on an upper build. I’m planning to go 6.5 Grendel on an AR15 platform and will be shooting suppressed with an Energetic Armament Vox-S. I’m also torn on going with either a Bartlein Stainless barrel or a Proof Carbon Fiber barrel.

Seeking advice on:
1. Barrel Length
2. Twist Rate
3. Bartlein Stainless or Proof Carbon Fiber

What are your thoughts?

Twist rate 1~9 that’s what it’s built around as far as I know it works better with lighter bullets think 100 grain up to 129 grain and as far as length I wouldn’t go shorter than 12 inches and for me I’d go Bartlein for the barrel quick question can you use a “Braced pistol” ie a SB tactical brace?

Reactions: BACB
In some states it says that pistols can't have attachments, so check on that before you walk around with a brace. Honestly 12" Grendel is my favorite hunting rig for down south. Mine are 1:8 twist. I shoot 130 TMK's or 127 LRX. Both are pretty slow at around 2150 using H-4895 but its damn accurate and temp stable. I never know if Im going to be hunting in 80 or 0 so that's a bonus. Both loads are hell on pigs and deer out to 200.

I really like my 12.5" Grendel for hunting; it's by far my favorite hunting rifle for thick brush like one can encounter in the southern hardwood forests. With that said, I use a lot of other calibers and don't have examples of all of them in this 12" format, but the Grendel lends itself to good performance in this size package very well.

I mostly load the 129gr ABLR @ 2,200 fps for large game, but also use one of the various 123gr @ 2,380-2,400 fps for general use. That's a bit faster than you'll get from factory ammo of course, these loads are with Lever, loaded for the approximate temps they'll be used in.

Reactions: LRRPF52 and BACB
12-16” should be great in a Grendel. I would grab whatever cheap barrel you want for it, I really don’t see the point of a super high end barrel in a gun that is probably going to see sub-200yd use. Proofs are also pretty heavy compared to a pencil profile steel.

Reactions: LRRPF52 and BACB
1.) 16-20”, No need to go more. I had a 24” on mine, and put a 20” on it a couple years ago. Much happier.

2.) 1:8”

3.) Both are good, but I’d go Proof CF or Faxon 5R Match Heavy Fluted, personally. I run the Faxon in mine (along with their matching bolt), and it shoots sub-1/2 MOA with handloads.

IMG_0152.jpeg
IMG_8807.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-05-27 23:35:16.266857.jpg

Last edited:
A 12.5" carbon fiber bbl would make a slick setup for hunting. My deer rifle is a 12.5" 6.8, love it.

Twist rate 1~9 that’s what it’s built around as far as I know it works better with lighter bullets think 100 grain up to 129 grain and as far as length I wouldn’t go shorter than 12 inches and for me I’d go Bartlein for the barrel quick question can you use a “Braced pistol” ie a SB tactical brace?
I can use a brace.

1.) 16-20”, No need to go more. I had a 24” on mine, and put a 20” on it a couple years ago. Much happier.

2.) 1:8”

3.) Both are good, but I’d go Proof CF or Faxon 5R Match Heavy Fluted, personally. I run the Faxon in mine (along with their matching bolt), and it shoots sub-1/2 MOA with handloads.

It has to be a pistol. Barrel has to be less than 16".

A carbon barrel will do almost nothing for you in short lengths but waste money. Carbon becomes an asset when it’s at least 22-24” in length. A close range short barrel hunting rifle is the perfect application for a lightweight cheap barrel. I recommend looking at Rexus (formerly Six Five) and what they offer. You might ask @LRRPF52 , the resident Grendel officionado.

A carbon barrel will do almost nothing for you in short lengths but waste money. Carbon becomes an asset when it’s at least 22-24” in length. A close range short barrel hunting rifle is the perfect application for a lightweight cheap barrel. I recommend looking at Rexus (formerly Six Five) and what they offer. You might ask @LRRPF52 , the resident Grendel officionado.
I appreciate this response! I'll connect with @LRRPF52. Thanks

1) 16" or less, depending on the ranges your typical shot will be. My 16" group buy barrel (65forums) gets 2465 from factory Hornady 123s, that covers me past 300 yards. I'm in South Alabama and will build a 11-12.5" will be my next build.

2) 1:8

3) hard pass on the Carbon Fiber, not worth it on short build. Looks like you're budget will get anything you want but my group buy barrel, I believe was a faxon produced barrel. It normally shoot 1-1.5" groups, which is more than enough for deer hunting.

As others have mention @LRRPF52 would be the resident Grendel expert.

I really love the 12” and 10.5” Grendels.

I have an 8.5” Criterion on the way though. I think I’m going to end up looking at the 12” now and say, “Why are you so long?"

8.5” will spit an 80gr Hammer Hunter out at 2620fps.

My 123gr A-MAX and SST on CFE223 hand loads are only generating 48,000psi chamber pressure and are a bit faster than factory ammo from the 16” and 18” Grendels.

12” does 2698fps with factory Federal 90gr TNT and 2400fps with 120gr Federal OTM.

I’m very excited about what the 8.5” will do.

Imagine this in Grendel:

Ghetto_Blaster_SD_2_zpsqnvhc1vg.jpeg

I really love the 12” and 10.5” Grendels.

I have an 8.5” Criterion on the way though. I think I’m going to end up looking at the 12” now and say, “Why are you so long?"

8.5” will spit an 80gr Hammer Hunter out at 2620fps.

My 123gr A-MAX and SST on CFE223 hand loads are only generating 48,000psi chamber pressure and are a bit faster than factory ammo from the 16” and 18” Grendels.

12” does 2698fps with factory Federal 90gr TNT and 2400fps with 120gr Federal OTM.

I’m very excited about what the 8.5” will do.

Imagine this in Grendel:

Ghetto_Blaster_SD_2_zpsqnvhc1vg.jpeg

Unintended thread derail incoming: what's the biggest game you would take with a 12.5" barreled Grendel? I used to live in northwest Florida and would hunt whitetail weekly and year round on a nuisance permit on our farm. Never used more than a .223. Shots were never more than 100 or 150 yards and I just popped them in the head. I live in Colorado now and hunt elk with everything from a. 270 to a 6. 5 Creedmoor. A lot of people think that's too lite. I think they're nuts. Not saying I'd use a grendel for elk, but the grendel seems ideal for hogs and whitetail. What's the reasonable limit on game?

Ive killed two elk with a Grendel. My load with the 127 LRX stays above the 1800 FPS expansion threshold out to 300. I certainly wouldn't shoot further than that at an elk with a Grendel. Im super confident in that bullet to do the job and it has. I probably wouldn't try for a shoulder breaking anchor shot with a Grendel, which I typically dont anyway unless Im worried about property lines. If I had to, Id want to follow it up quick with a vitals hit. Am I saying it's the ideal elk cartridge, no. Will it work, yes, with limitations and good marksmanship. My typical elk guns are .260 and '06 but it was nice to carry the little 5 lb Grendel for a change and I knew I had a good chance of getting close on those particular hunts. People that think you need a magnum to kill an elk apparently want to be able to hit them in the ass. Ive killed them just shy of 500 with the .260 and 518 with the 06. Wouldn't think twice about shooting them further if I needed to, just haven't.

Huh, apparently I was going to post this a few days ago but forgot to hit submit; the forum saved it in the reply box for me so here goes:

Agreed on not needing carbon fiber for the barrel. You also don't need an HBAR profile; shorter barrels are naturally stiffer than a longer barrel anyway. I turned mine to something approximating a "standard profile" or slightly lighter, and it's been great.

A quality barrel can be worthwhile though. I've used mine for consistent and repeated hits out to 700-ish yards, and it's not bad beyond that either; if the accuracy and aiming capability are there it's not just a short range gun. Short barrel doesn't have to mean cheap and innacurate. I know @LRRPF52 has talked about similar shooting with his as well; with a mil/mil scope that can dial accurately an SBR format 6.5 Grendel is capable of more distance than most people realize. There is more drop to account for at longer distances, but that's just a matter of knowing your dope and dialing or holding.

1:8-1:9 twist doesn't matter much. 1:9 is plenty for the range of bullet weights that work well in the Grendel. Either one will do fine.

Mine is an SBR format but started as a braced pistol. These can be flamethrowers though, with ~30gr of powder in that short barrel.

F2NTWNqh.jpg

YLB4cx0h.jpg

Unintended thread derail incoming: what's the biggest game you would take with a 12.5" barreled Grendel? I used to live in northwest Florida and would hunt whitetail weekly and year round on a nuisance permit on our farm. Never used more than a .223. Shots were never more than 100 or 150 yards and I just popped them in the head. I live in Colorado now and hunt elk with everything from a. 270 to a 6. 5 Creedmoor. A lot of people think that's too lite. I think they're nuts. Not saying I'd use a grendel for elk, but the grendel seems ideal for hogs and whitetail. What's the reasonable limit on game?

I'd say it's partly about range of course, but it's definitely good to go for hogs and whitetail. At closer ranges with the right bullet I'd be OK using it on elk, but haven't personally.

Most hunters around here seem to be way overgunned, thinking they need some sort of magnum for these little tiny wet side deer (and also bragging about their 800 yard shots that are actually closer to 80 yards). Most of these people don't seem to have much of a clue what's needed in a hunting rifle, even a lot of older guys who've been hunting for many years.

Reactions: Modoc and ELCO82
I was raised on .270 Winchester, .257 Roberts, .30-06, with Scout Masters who had .264 Win Mag and 6.5 Rem Mag in addition to the main stays of the 1900s. .270 Win was kind of a default baseline for what I thought a centerfire rifle should be. I love my Mod 70 Pre-64 .270 Win.

When I first saw people ask about shooting larger game with Grendel, my gut instinct was, “This simply is not an elk cartridge.” Then people started posting all their elk kills, even with 16” barrels, but most were cows of course and at closer ranges. There have been bulls too. LaRue shot that bull up in Wyoming in the late 2000s at 405yds and sent out Christmas cards with it, using a 20” Stealth spitting Barnes 120gr TSX.

I’m then forced to recall all of what W.D.M Bell did with a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Shönauer, which included giraffe, kudu, warthogs, and elephants.

I think suppressing a Grendel (or any rifle) has some advantages for big game hunting, because they don’t know they’ve been hit much of the time, and don’t spook as easily.

20” Grendel Bull Elk hunt with 125gr Nosler Partition:

DSCN7706_zpsf2bzygdn.jpg

16” Grendel suppressed with 123gr SST cow elk hunt:

20151015_161730_zpsrelfcouh.jpg

I personally would feel very comfortable taking larger game within 200yds with my 12” Grendel, namely the mulies we have around here in the Uintahs. I would probably load the 129gr ABLR, Cavity Back 105gr MKZ, or even a 123gr ELD-M.

Reactions: Yondering
I was raised on .270 Winchester, .257 Roberts, .30-06, with Scout Masters who had .264 Win Mag and 6.5 Rem Mag in addition to the main stays of the 1900s. .270 Win was kind of a default baseline for what I thought a centerfire rifle should be. I love my Mod 70 Pre-64 .270 Win.

When I first saw people ask about shooting larger game with Grendel, my gut instinct was, “This simply is not an elk cartridge.” Then people started posting all their elk kills, even with 16” barrels, but most were cows of course and at closer ranges. There have been bulls too. LaRue shot that bull up in Wyoming in the late 2000s at 405yds and sent out Christmas cards with it, using a 20” Stealth spitting Barnes 120gr TSX.

I’m then forced to recall all of what W.D.M Bell did with a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Shönauer, which included giraffe, kudu, warthogs, and elephants.

I think suppressing a Grendel (or any rifle) has some advantages for big game hunting, because they don’t know they’ve been hit much of the time, and don’t spook as easily.

20” Grendel Bull Elk hunt with 125gr Nosler Partition:

DSCN7706_zpsf2bzygdn.jpg

16” Grendel suppressed with 123gr SST cow elk hunt:

20151015_161730_zpsrelfcouh.jpg

I personally would feel very comfortable taking larger game within 200yds with my 12” Grendel, namely the mulies we have around here in the Uintahs. I would probably load the 129gr ABLR, Cavity Back 105gr MKZ, or even a 123gr ELD-M.

Good info here, thanks.

Reactions: Yondering