• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 grendel barrel options

jamesZ71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Sarasota,FL
I'm working on building a 6.5 grendel and i am lost on what barrel i should go with,i like the sabre defence 24in SS fluted heavy barrel but they are a little pricey.So are there better options out there for the price,or will this one be one of the best options.

Also pics of different barrel setups would be nice

Will be used mainly at the range 600-1000yards,but will occasionally be used to hog hunt.

Re: 6.5 grendel barrel options

If I was going to hunt with it, I would go 18"-20" barrel. 24" gives you a little more velocity, but not what you would think. IMHO AA (ER SHAW) is pretty good. Sabre is better. Lothar Walther and satern barrels are tops for grendel. LongRange30, on this forum, has an 18" sabre that gives excellent groups. I don't know if the production sabre barrels are worth that price tag. They are as much or more than the LW and satern barrels and those two are considered excellent match quality barrels for the grendel. Les Baer is also a consideration. For the most part, the barrel twists that are produced for the grendel have been determined by Bill Alexander to be optimum for the given barrel length. I believe I read that he said different barrel lengths produced better with certain twists. If you buy one of the reputable brands, than I would assume that the twist offered is best for their barrel and length. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing many places where different twists could be specified.

FYI, the 24" sabre barrel is a heavy beast.

I use a 16", but I dont have the need to reach out past 100 yds with my current hunting ground. You'll find that the BCs and muzzle vel. of the grendel will get you out pretty far without needing a long barrel.I am selling my 18" upper here: Link

Lothar Walther
Satern
Aleaxander Arms
Sabre Defense

These are the known Grendel barrels I usually hear.

I run a Sabre 18" bbl on my grendel build. It was pricey but it included the Sabre Gill brake (est.$60.00), 6.5 Bolt (est. $65.00), YHM Gas block/Front sight post(est. $70.00) and Barrel nut (est. $6.00). Most barrels you get come with no extras, thats why the Sabre bbl is more.

not everyone needs the extras tho.

By the way, the Sabre barrel shoots very well. I was surprised how well it shot. Shoots consistant sub-moa groups with handloads.

I justn bouyght a Alexander Arms 6.5 grendel upper and lower. So far it's a questionable purchase. Going out to 600 is no big deal but has isuses. I shot about 200 rounds and can't find a small group. Used 120gr hornady, 130gr swiff scirroco, and can't find anything else to test. A>Arms is quoting month out. I think it's going to be a reload your own or don't shoot. If you have any 6.5 grendel experiences please post or pm

i do reload for my 308,and im looking to rebarrel it to 260 so that way i will have two rifle that shoot the same ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aimsmallmisssmal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I justn bouyght a Alexander Arms 6.5 grendel upper and lower. So far it's a questionable purchase. Going out to 600 is no big deal but has isuses. I shot about 200 rounds and can't find a small group. Used 120gr hornady, 130gr swiff scirroco, and can't find anything else to test. A>Arms is quoting month out. I think it's going to be a reload your own or don't shoot. If you have any 6.5 grendel experiences please post or pm </div></div>

If your AA upper has a ER Shaw barrel that was my experience as well . There are people getting good accuracy out of the Shaws but they seem to be a bit hit or miss . Mine was a miss . I just switched to a Les Baer tube but have not had the chance to test yet . The Saterns and Sabres seem to be great barrels as well if you can find one .

I stay away from the ER Shaw barrels. You hear more bad things from good things with them.

I went with a Sabre Defense barrel. My next choices would be a Satern or Lothar Walther.

I would rather wait it out for a good barrel rather than hurry up and get a "o.k" barrel. IMO

still in need of
carrier .....130 RRA
handguard....160 MI
barrel......600 ?

so it will be awhile on the barrel planning on getting all the little things first

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought AA used Satern barrels? or is that only on the overwatch </div></div>

I think the AA "Spartan" Barrels use the Satern tubes and the regular "Hoplite" AA barrels are the ER Shaw bbls.

The Spartan bbl are a loooooooooong wait.

The overwatch uses a ER Shaw bbl also.