• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel Barrels selection (late) 2023?

penguinofsleep

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Somewhere USA
Looking at possibly getting a new 6.5 Grendel AR barrel with the following, would like to know if anyone has experience or other recommendations:

- approx $400-500 or less, willing to wait until a sale if needed
- doesn't need to be in stock today, but would like to receive within 3-4 of ordering
- Have something 20", ~32-36oz, 5/8x24 threaded barrel, 0.750 gas journal diameter
- consistent 0.8 MOA or less groups
- will be using existing small parts, mostly JP, including bolt + carrier
- will mostly shoot 123 ELD-M projectiles at 50-600 yards, paper and steel. May try an occasional 100-110 gr copper bullet later. no suppressor anytime soon.

Wanted to go with Criterion initially but it seems like they only have 18 and 22" options. Looking at X-caliber, Shilen, and Lilja right now but wondering if there are other options right now. Also considering BHW as well although feedback and past experience (diff cal) tells me that the consistent <0.8MOA part may be a slight crap shoot.

Currently using a 20" Fluted Grendel Hunter, but after about 350 rounds through it, it only shoots about 1.1-1.3 inch groups at 100yd right now with various powders, including CFE223, and 123 ELD-M. Hornady Black ELD-M shoots about 1.1" as well at 100. Haven't tried "all" of the seating depths yet, but just based on what I'm seeing elsewhere, it seems likely that the most limiting factor is the barrel right now.

X-caliber has never done me wrong, and the fluting options they offer allow weight reduction without affecting accuracy much. I personally go straight flute, even number if odd rifle twist (5R) or odd number if even grooved (6g) to reduce potential harmonics.

I'd suggest if you want maximum accuracy though, buy a bolt from them with the barrel so you know the two are headspaced correctly and matched.

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
Compass Lake Engineering.
Depending on the barrel blank, you may get to your budgetary $ figure.
Not sure what their current lead time is, but they have been worth the wait.
ETA:

I bought one of these barrels ( Satern / Liberty Button Rifled Blank ) in an 18" / Rifle Gas configuration about 7 years ago.
It will defiantly shoot with both Hornady Black and with handloads - Best handloaded 5 shot group with a 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip over CFE223 is about 0.375" C / C .
God smiled on me that day to prove a point to my daughter that "It's not the rifle".

Last edited:
Here’s how I break down barrel price point/value/performance for 6.5 Grendel barrels:

Bartleins and Kriegers cut by Precision Firearms. You’ll be in the $675-$775 range depending on what you order and options.

Proof Research carbon-wrapped Bartlein in the $900-$1000 region.

Lilja turned and chambered by Precision Firearms for $675

JP Enterprises for $529 (included enhanced bolt)

Satern Cut-Rifled 6.5 Grendel $523

LaRue (complete uppers and rifles) $800-$2100

Shilen heavy match 20” for $510

Lilja drop-in barrels from Lilja $525-$665, or the industry sub forum here $435

Criterion cut by Precision Firearms for $345 (this is one of the best bangs for your money)

Alexander Arms $285-$330 fluted (another great deal)

Odin Works 20” $323

Wilson Combat $250-$305

Faxon $235-$319

SixFive Outfitters $150-$200

I have owned and/or tested samples of all of the above except for Wilson, Odin, and maybe Shilen. I might have built or Cerakoted a 20” Shilen once, can’t recall now. I have shot Wilson Combat .223 AR-15s before, and thought they were pretty much top of the line in the early 2000s. I modeled my build approach for ARs from the early 2000s off of Wilson in terms of fit/feel of the receivers, lighter weight/medium fluted barrels, and coatings with free-float of course.

The most accurate, precision bolt gun-level bug-hole shooting uppers and barrels in Grendel I have shot and tested have been Bartlein from Precision Firearms. We’re talking beyond giggle, into “nobody is going to believe me if I show them these groups” type accuracy.

Proof is great for a really lightweight rifle if you go the CF route, and they shoot extremely well too.

I have 22”, 17.6”, and 16.5” Lilja Grendels. The 22” is bull, heavy, fluted. The 17.6” and 16” are really lightweight Wasp profile barrels with .650” thin under the handguard, then step up to .750/.740” like an M16A2.

The 17.6” shoots 4rd groups into bug holes, 5rd into .75” to 1”, and 10rd groups into 1.2”-1.5”. I have shot 8” groups at 1000yds with it, recorded and witnessed.

The 16” Lilja shoots .5” with match ammo, .75” with PPU 120gr, and .8” with 123gr SST.

I built a lot of 16” and 18” fluted Alexander Arms uppers for people several years ago, and they were all shooters, very pleasant-handling even being so light. They shot .6” to .9” with different Hornady ammo, including 123gr A-MAX, 123gr SST.

My complete LaRue Stealth 6.5 Grendel 18” FDE limited run rifle shoots great as well. The barrel is more of a heavy/medium contour and the rifle is fit superbly-well, with lots of attention to detail you have to hold and feel to appreciate. Wish he still offered that. The handguard mate-up to the upper receiver doesn’t touch the barrel nut at all, and the action is super slick. Funnel mag well and billet receiver fit is really tight, and the furniture is really nice.

I have a 12” build and did another one using the same barrel from Faxon through the forum group buy. Both of these 12” Grendels shoot anywhere from .7” to 1” at 100yds with multiple factory and hand loads, including 123gr ELD-M, 90gr TNT from Federal, and 107gr SMK on 8208 XBR. The only load that shot outside of 1” for me so far was the Federal 120gr Open Tipped Match American Eagle, but I have still used that to shoot steel buffalo at 800yds 9/10 hits.

Just off the top of my head, if money isn’t a concern, the 20” Proof is nice for both accuracy and lightweight.
For no-BS super accuracy, the Precision Firearms Bartlein, Krieger, and Lilja options are bragging rights shooters.

JP Enterprises makes a light contour, heavy fore end barrel that can have the ventilator fins attached to it.

For mid-grade performance and price, the AA and PF Criterion are great, along with LaRue.

For economy price but quality and correct dimensions in critical areas, Faxon and SixFive Outfitters can’t be beat.

Avoid things that are lower than that unless it’s a special sale from one of the others I mentioned. There are a few companies I have bad experiences with that I didn’t list or mention.

It’s hard to go wrong with anything in the above list, as long as your accuracy expectations align with the price point.

The most accurate, precision bolt gun-level bug-hole shooting uppers and barrels in Grendel I have shot and tested have been Bartlein from Precision Firearms. We’re talking beyond giggle, into “nobody is going to believe me if I show them these groups” type accuracy.

My Les Baer .264 was that for me, Have you tried any a Craddock or CLE Bartlein Grendel's?

JP is definitely the best option for the easy button choice, I've done several JP Grendel builds over the years and I've always been impressed with how well they shoot such a wide spectrum of factory ammo.

My Les Baer .264 was that for me, Have you tried any a Craddock or CLE Bartlein Grendel's?

JP is definitely the best option for the easy button choice, I've done several JP Grendel builds over the years and I've always been impressed with how well they shoot such a wide spectrum of factory ammo.
I have never tested a Craddock, CLE Bartlein, or a X-Caliber 6.5 Grendel pipe.

One of the 20” PF Bartleins I was accuracy-testing kept putting rounds through the same freaking hole. I looked over at the 50rd cartridge box and was into at least 3 rows (5 each) before the group opened up to .6” when a guy next to me cranked off a round with his JP tank brake right as I was breaking another shot.

I personally don’t get too hung-up on 100yd groups though because if a rifle will shoot 1 MOA for 5-10rds out of the gate, I move on to shooting steel at distance. If it won’t group 1 MOA out of the gate and seems finicky, I just don’t have the time to waste on it trying to mess with it. With gas prices and ammo/components are what they are, I prefer to leave each shooting experience with a smile on my face.

This is one of the main reasons I spend a little more on barrels. I have rolled the dice before on some lower priced pipes in shorter barrels and landed on sixes. I’ve also tried to get other people’s uppers to shoot with low-mid priced barrels that simply were a total waste of my time and money, as well as theirs.

I’ve also dealt with being the default CS for brands who don’t seem to have CS that like to sell barrels at tent stake prices, so I’ve learned which companies to avoid. If they don’t take their products seriously, I won’t either.

The 2 most accurate/precise Grendel’s I’ve ever seen, 1 had a PF Bartlein and the other had a cut rifled Satern.

The last 3 I’ve put together were 16” guns, 1 with a Wilson Combat barrel and 2 using Triarc barrels. All shoot Hornady Black 123ELD’s just under MOA (5 rd groups) off a bench. Good enough for blasting Ga white tails and pigs.

Last edited:
Have 7 Grendels that stay in a pretty constant rotation, with 2 Satern cut rifled barrels-20/24”, 2 Wilson’s-20/22”, an 18” JP, a 20” Proof CF and a converted Bartlein from a 6.5x47 barrel. They all have their preferred loads, but the Proof, JP and Satern cut barrels are the easiest to load for, with .4-.6” groups within reach if I’m doing my job. The converted Bartlein is a .75” barrel and the Wilson’s better than MOA, but more specific in what they shoot best. If I ever find need, or burn up one of these, would like to try a new Bartlein or Krieger from PF.

Craddockprecision.com if you want a Bartlein (who doesn't). They would fit into your criteria more or less. I have 2 Craddock chambered barrels and both are smile producing every time I shoot them.

A Proof SS 20" was a good choice for me too. With the .750 GB it isn't too heavy and has always shot well (call it a reliably 3/4 MOA and slightly better). Less expensive than the Craddock Bartlein barrels and it was in stock when I wanted one.

I also have an older Satern cut rifled barrel that was always a great barrel but heavy.

My experiences with a few Alexander Arms barrels wasn't as good as with the cut rifled barrels. I'll leave that where it is.

The Rainier Ultra Match is another choice (there is some understandable dislike for them on here) but the longest available is an 18". I understand they are a Criterion blank finished by Craddock. I have one in 300BO and it is awesome.

Here’s how I break down barrel price point/value/performance for 6.5 Grendel barrels:

Bartleins and Kriegers cut by Precision Firearms. You’ll be in the $675-$775 range depending on what you order and options.

Proof Research carbon-wrapped Bartlein in the $900-$1000 region.

Lilja turned and chambered by Precision Firearms for $675

JP Enterprises for $529 (included enhanced bolt)

Satern Cut-Rifled 6.5 Grendel $523

LaRue (complete uppers and rifles) $800-$2100

Shilen heavy match 20” for $510

Lilja drop-in barrels from Lilja $525-$665, or the industry sub forum here $435

Criterion cut by Precision Firearms for $345 (this is one of the best bangs for your money)

Alexander Arms $285-$330 fluted (another great deal)

Odin Works 20” $323

Wilson Combat $250-$305

Faxon $235-$319

SixFive Outfitters $150-$200

I have owned and/or tested samples of all of the above except for Wilson, Odin, and maybe Shilen. I might have built or Cerakoted a 20” Shilen once, can’t recall now. I have shot Wilson Combat .223 AR-15s before, and thought they were pretty much top of the line in the early 2000s. I modeled my build approach for ARs from the early 2000s off of Wilson in terms of fit/feel of the receivers, lighter weight/medium fluted barrels, and coatings with free-float of course.

Proof is great for a really lightweight rifle if you go the CF route, and they shoot extremely well too.

I have 22”, 17.6”, and 16.5” Lilja Grendels. The 22” is bull, heavy, fluted. The 17.6” and 16” are really lightweight Wasp profile barrels with .650” thin under the handguard, then step up to .750/.740” like an M16A2.

The 17.6” shoots 4rd groups into bug holes, 5rd into .75” to 1”, and 10rd groups into 1.2”-1.5”. I have shot 8” groups at 1000yds with it, recorded and witnessed.

The 16” Lilja shoots .5” with match ammo, .75” with PPU 120gr, and .8” with 123gr SST.

I built a lot of 16” and 18” fluted Alexander Arms uppers for people several years ago, and they were all shooters, very pleasant-handling even being so light. They shot .6” to .9” with different Hornady ammo, including 123gr A-MAX, 123gr SST.

My complete LaRue Stealth 6.5 Grendel 18” FDE limited run rifle shoots great as well. The barrel is more of a heavy/medium contour and the rifle is fit superbly-well, with lots of attention to detail you have to hold and feel to appreciate. Wish he still offered that. The handguard mate-up to the upper receiver doesn’t touch the barrel nut at all, and the action is super slick. Funnel mag well and billet receiver fit is really tight, and the furniture is really nice.

I have a 12” build and did another one using the same barrel from Faxon through the forum group buy. Both of these 12” Grendels shoot anywhere from .7” to 1” at 100yds with multiple factory and hand loads, including 123gr ELD-M, 90gr TNT from Federal, and 107gr SMK on 8208 XBR. The only load that shot outside of 1” for me so far was the Federal 120gr Open Tipped Match American Eagle, but I have still used that to shoot steel buffalo at 800yds 9/10 hits.

Just off the top of my head, if money isn’t a concern, the 20” Proof is nice for both accuracy and lightweight.
For no-BS super accuracy, the Precision Firearms Bartlein, Krieger, and Lilja options are bragging rights shooters.

JP Enterprises makes a light contour, heavy fore end barrel that can have the ventilator fins attached to it.

For mid-grade performance and price, the AA and PF Criterion are great, along with LaRue.

For economy price but quality and correct dimensions in critical areas, Faxon and SixFive Outfitters can’t be beat.

Avoid things that are lower than that unless it’s a special sale from one of the others I mentioned. There are a few companies I have bad experiences with that I didn’t list or mention.

It’s hard to go wrong with anything in the above list, as long as your accuracy expectations align with the price point.
Reading your stuff over on the Grendal forum led me to a PF Bartlein for my build years ago. I couldn't be happier with the results. I am happily the weak link.

My first was an Odin for package price. I am very satisfied with it. The 2nd and 3rd were X-Caliber cut rifled 5 groove. I am very impressed and satisfied with them. I also have an ARC in the same X-Caliber configuration. You won't go wrong with these. With handloads, and I'm not the most experienced hand loader and I get Sub MOA. Hope this helped some.

I have 2 Rainier Ultra Match in 6.5G, have been great barrels for accuracy.

Why is there "understandable dislike" for them here?

I have 2 Rainier Ultra Match in 6.5G, have been great barrels for accuracy.

Why is there "understandable dislike" for them here?
Politics. They complied with a subpoena from NY State for customer records.