• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel cheapo-build: south texas beater ranch gun

Slowshot18

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
Houston, TX
About two years ago, a good friend of mine introduced me to the world of custom rifles, suppressors, scopes that cost more than $200, reloading, and all of the other stuff that goes along with this hobby. I now reload for my bolt guns, own a can (two more in jail), nice glass, a full custom bolt gun, etc. I haven't really dove into the gas gun world other than a M&P sport I've owned for about 5 years.
I have another group of friends that I hunt with on a regular basis in south texas. Our hunting trips consist of lots of debauchery (drinking, tannerite, drinking, gambling) and a little bit of hunting. Several of them own factory 6.5 creedmores and I have taught them how to shoot out to about 400 yards. They do not think it is fair when I constantly win our shooting competitions with my 16" .308 rem700 5R, and especially not with my full custom 300 winmag built by Roberts Precision. They do have a point so I decided to go off and find a cheap, compact, relatively shitty gun that I can still show them up with ease.
Along with the aforementioned criteria, it also had to shoot good with factory ammo, be more capable at handling wind than a .223, and be used for shooting pigs and the occasional whitetail.

I went down a rabbit hole one evening a few months ago reading about a 6.5 grendel pistol and the ballistics/capability of the caliber, even in a 12" platform. I scrounged up my pennies and purchased a PSA 12" grendel pistol kit to go with a cheap anderson lower I had laying around.
Here are some pics of the gun assembled with my high dollar Nikon scope and a pic with a can on it:
grendel with can.jpg

grendel_scope.jpg

By not owning the proper AR tools to assemble one, I did nick the gun in several places using nails as a punch for the pins and using vise grips to remove the muzzle break so my can could be installed (I'm too cheap to by a barrel vise). This bad boy is going to get a rattle can job eventually, so who cares?

After taking the gun out to shoot, it had terrible fucking groups at 100 yards. I chalked it up to being me a shitty shot, the stupid trigger that came with the gun, and you get what you paid for. I tried hornady black and hornady sst factory 6.5 grendel ammo. Shitty groups at 100:
grendel_shitty groups.jpg

My buddy, who know a heck of a lot more about gas guns than i do, suggested that maybe the barrel nut was loose or something was wrong with it. He owned the tools and offered to help so I sent it home with him one day after work. After further examining the gun, he found where there were burrs at the end of the barrel, where it had been cut, crowned, and threaded from PSA.
grendel_burr_plier marks.jpg

Might be hard to see in the picture, but sure as shit he was right! I called PSA and they were awesome and sent me a shipping label to fix the problem. But, they did say it may take 2 weeks to get it back to me. Welp, my impatience took over and I wasn't going to wait two weeks. I had a miniature file thing laying in my tool box that I inherited from my dad (he was a machinist by trade) and I was going to fix the problem myself.
File thing:
grendel_mini file.jpg

I ended up performing my DIY hillbilly fix without having to waste two weeks of my life, wondering what to do with myself because I could not shoot my grendel.

This purpose of this thread is to log my non-professional gunsmithin', cheapass redneck engineering self adventure with the PSA grendel pistol in the hopes that it may inspire someone else to take the plunge and do the same thing.
Even though I've been preaching cheapness, I hate factory triggers so I splurged and ordered a La Rue trigger for this badboy. Future plans include a camo spraypaint job, and a sub $200 exposed elevation turret scope. Stay tuned for the barrel filing results.....

WARNING: Do not attempt any of the DIY gun smith work that I have performed or will perform in subsequent posts. It is extremely dangerous and caries the risk of damage to the weapon, yourself, others or potentially death.

Attachments

• grendel built.jpg
    grendel built.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 36
  • grendel_burr_plier marks.jpg
    grendel_burr_plier marks.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 47
It was getting late when I wrote the first post last night. But here are the results from using the file to debur the muzzle. I used Wolf shitty ammo to go with my shitty build, and I bought some high dollar hornady black ammo too. These groups were at 100 yards.
8E7544C6-7AB2-4801-AD15-BD24852894EA.png

what’s really cool is that group is with steel cased ammo and I would say it’s close to .5”.
with the high dollar hornady black ammo, I had a group that looked even better:
191651E2-C75B-49BE-BE3D-305395B7BD47.png

I’m shocked with the results considering the length of the barrel, the cost of the rig, and my overall marksmanship or lack there of. It looks like I’m well on my way to schooling my buddies with my shitty gun.
Earlier this week I purchased a labradar (mainly for my bolt guns). This weekend I will see what the velocities of the hornady black and wolf steel ammo is along with any group improvements with the installation of the La Rue trigger.

Is it over gassed with the can on it? What suppressor are you running on it? When I suppressed my 20" grendel, the brass came out looking like a belted magnum. Put an adjustable gas block on it and solved that problem. Cut the recoil down by half with the new gas block.

I’ve got the same upper and it shoots the same size groups. I’m pleased with it.
Hornady Black 123 was around 2215 FPS if I remember correctly.

Did your buddy happen to borescope it at all? I wonder if it is just starting to smooth out a little bit as rounds are getting put through it. Maybe throw a high grit lapping compound on a patch wrapped around a bore brush and do a few passes with that as well to help smooth things out.

Is it over gassed with the can on it? What suppressor are you running on it? When I suppressed my 20" grendel, the brass came out looking like a belted magnum. Put an adjustable gas block on it and solved that problem. Cut the recoil down by half with the new gas block.

The beauty about the PSA upper, it came with an adjustable gas block. From the factory, it was slammin the shit outta the brass and blowing gas all in my face. I've never jacked with a gas block before so I did some youtubing on the subject. I closed the block all the way and opened it about 1/2 a turn and it is much better now. The brass isn't as dinged up but I really don't care as I'm not going to reload for this gun. I'm running a Texas Silencer Company "Hunter" 308 can on the gun.

Did your buddy happen to borescope it at all? I wonder if it is just starting to smooth out a little bit as rounds are getting put through it. Maybe throw a high grit lapping compound on a patch wrapped around a bore brush and do a few passes with that as well to help smooth things out.

No he did not run a scope through it. Thats a good idea on the lapping compound, I might go down that path at some point to get it shooting even better. I do believe that the cheap Wolf FMJs might be smoothing out the barrel to a certain extent, but I don't have any specific justification to back up that claim.

Reactions: 260284
You could also try running some JB Bore Polish as well first and if you already have some on your bench. If that isn't aggressive enough then maybe look at moving to a high grit lapping compound instead.

Last night as I was trying to fall asleep I was thinking that the ultimate truck gun might be a 6.5 Grendel pistol with a brace might be the ultimate truck gun. This write up reinforces that idea and may have to add one to the collection and maybe a truck to go with it since I have not had a truck for about 5 years.

Wives always like to accessorize their wardrobe so she may except my accessorizing a new gun with a new truck, any other combination might mess my karma all up.

I just ordered the Odin works complete upper in 6.5 Grendel with their adjustable gas block. Their gas block has worked very well in 556/223 with suppressors. I contemplated going PSA, and really everything seems to shoot these days. But, the high dollar barrels have better QC for the most part, and when you shoot 5, 7, and 10 shot groups, they have a much better chance of staying tight than the cheaper stuff. And yes, for me the trigger makes a world of difference.

Last night as I was trying to fall asleep I was thinking that the ultimate truck gun might be a 6.5 Grendel pistol with a brace might be the ultimate truck gun. This write up reinforces that idea and may have to add one to the collection and maybe a truck to go with it since I have not had a truck for about 5 years.

Wives always like to accessorize their wardrobe so she may except my accessorizing a new gun with a new truck, any other combination might mess my karma all up.
This very well could be the ultimate truck gun! Once my other suppressor comes in (Rugged Micro 30) it will be a lot more compact. I've grown to thoroughly enjoy shooting only suppressed guns (maybe I'm a bitch and don't like loud noises?) and have turned into a bit of a suppressor snob now.
And hey man, whatever justification you need to acquire another gun and a truck as well! I have lots of odd/unreasonable justifications like that, its just passing it through to the boss (my wife). But just like when I tried to ask her out for the first time, persistence pays off! By saving money on a cheap build it could always offset the cost of the truck.

I just ordered the Odin works complete upper in 6.5 Grendel with their adjustable gas block. Their gas block has worked very well in 556/223 with suppressors. I contemplated going PSA, and really everything seems to shoot these days. But, the high dollar barrels have better QC for the most part, and when you shoot 5, 7, and 10 shot groups, they have a much better chance of staying tight than the cheaper stuff. And yes, for me the trigger makes a world of difference.

There is nothing quite like a fine barrel that was spun up by a meticulous gun smith. My full custom 300 winmag is an absolute hammer, even with me behind the trigger. But I have about $5,500 in that rig, not including glass, and I was willing to take the risks associated with buying cheap shit. Recently, I was able to produce a 3-shot group at 1,000 yards that was just shy of 3". This is an expensive rig that is shooting a 212 grain eldx @ 3,025 fps. Even with the capability of this gun at distance, shooting a 10 shot group will yield larger groups that may cause relative disappointment in the product. As the barrel heats up, it changes POI. Once the temperature of the barrel changes the particles that make up the barrel either expand or contract, therefore affecting POI. My lack of patience to wait 10-20 minutes between shots (even with one of the barrel kuhl things) is not there. I do enjoy 5 round groups from time to time as this offers reassurance to my load development in those guns, but the heating of the gun is taken into consideration. 3 round groups are a good gauge of repeatable accuracy in my book, but I do respect your outlook!
Factory ammo is a whole other issue.
The consistencies in Hornday vary drastically and I can only imagine what the variables are in the commy wolf ammo. In my custom gun when I was breaking it in with factory hornady loads, it would consistently produce less than 1/2" groups of 3 at 100, but every once in a while there were flyers. I put it over my chrono and the speeds of the ammo varied as much as 80 fps! The speed variances were also noted on the target, where POI shifted. I took the performance of the gun as a win, especially since i uncovered the speed variations due to the factory loads.
In summary, I do agree that you usually get what you pay for, but every once in a while you find a steal especially when I was going into this with the mindset of having 1" 3 shot groups @ 100. There are others that have posted about the accuracy and consistency of the PSA uppers as well. But with the good posts, there are plenty of bad.
Let me know how your Odin upper works out! If I enjoy this project and the 6.5 grendel caliper as much I think I will, there is a good chance I may invest in a nicer upper that will not get mauled by vice grips or a rattle-can special.

Reactions: NFAJohn and 260284
If it's shooting that well, just keep shooting it. Any bore abrasive will only decrease bore life - don't do it.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
Last night I bit the bullet and spent some coin on the grendel..... in order to effectively destroy my friends 6.5 creedmores at our made up shooting competitions, I need an adjustable scope. Picked up this 3x9 vortex diamondback with exposed turrets for $184 from opticsplanet with taxes and shipping. Hopefully it will be in next week.
E8B3D8D7-D83E-48AF-84AB-1163D106736B.jpeg