• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel Flash Suppressors

twadsw01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Durham, NC
Does the 6.5 Grendel cartridge fired out of a barrel of length greater than or equal to 18" benefit from the addition of a flash suppressor? Or, is there really not much flash to suppress anyway in barrels that long?

Re: 6.5 Grendel Flash Suppressors

Only if shooting at night or you are trying to hide the signature somewhat.They seem to be very trendy now...

Well, I would be doing some night shooting if I had a Grendel upper.

So, you're saying that even from a 20" barrel, the Grendel cartridge will have enough unburnt powder left at the end of the barrel to produce a sizable flash?

I can't comment on flash suppressors, but can tell you a brake does help reduce recoil. I just built a Grendel at 18" and, could really tell the difference between braked and non-braked. Especially if you want to spot for yourself at long range, consider a muzzle brake.

I have heard the the AAC BREAKOUTS, are pretty good for a combo break flash supressor.

Scott

There has been much written about this and actually it's not the unburnt powder that does it but the the gasses hitting the oxygen that causes the "corona" you see.Doesn't matter why, but the effect is enhanced by a shorter barrel and high velocity.Actually you may want to look at Primary weapon's "flash suppressing compensator" they work pretty good at doing both.