• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel in 6.5 Creedmoor

ilmonster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
So, I'm kind of intrigued by the 6.5 Grendel. A great little round shooting out to 300 and 600 yds., great barrel life, low recoil, easy to reload with high BC bullets, etc. Not a whole lot of choices when it comes to rifles that are chambered in it though (Savage, Howa, Ruger, CZ). The thought I had was substituting a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle for the Grendel (alot more choices as far as rifles), downloading it with a powder like H4895 (which can go down to 60% of max load) and be able to run 107 Sierra MK's around 2650 fps when I want a Grendel type load with all the Grendel benefits, but have the versatility to run them up to 3100'ish fps when I want to try my hand at 1,000 yd. shots (not often). Thoughts?

but if you're gonna run a creedmoor sized gun why wouldn't you run creedmoor speed loads all the time? i doubt you're gonna see much different in recoil

Size of the gun doesn't matter as this would be a range gun only - no hiking through the woods with it. I would imagine the barrel life of the Grendel speed loads would be quite a bit better than Creedmoor speed loads. Recoil wise, I've never shot either one. My rifles range from a .223 Rem. 700 to a 45-70 Marlin and obviously the recoil will be between those two. I've never run across anyone with a 6.5 Grendel at my shooting range to try. With longer barrel life and less powder used, the slower loads should be cheaper over the long run. Also, there are a larger variety of rifles and brass available in 6.5 Creed. Lastly, the larger holes are easier to see than my .223 at distance!

Last edited:
Most of my shooting would be 100 - 300 yds. on paper, with the occasional trip to a longer range out of town. There's one 1 1/2 hours away with a 600 yd range and one two+ hours away with a 1,200 yd range (haven't been there yet) and I don't think either of those allow steel, just paper. My local range does have steel at around 230 yds. which i can bang all day long easily with my .223 Rem and AR.

6.5 grendel shines in an AR15 - thats what it was designed for, and its compromises come from having to fit in an ar15 platform. I have a 6.5g AR from Sionics that i love. but if your running a bolt gun, you have alot more options without the compromises made to fit in a ar15. Not saying it wouldn't work well, just take a look around if your running it in a bolt gun.

Just down load your CM and shoot the lighter bullets (120's), using a bulkier/slower powder. Better barrel life, Grendel performance (if that's what you want) and low recoil. Personally, I'd just shoot standard CM loads, but if you want reduced loads, then just use your CM in doing so. Not sure I'd run 4895 though, more like 4064 or something like that...

Sounds like he lives in Alabama. I would let you shot my 6.5 Grendel but I’m to far away.

I will be at the CMP with my Grendel in July if you can meet there I’ll let you shot it.

You would be able to seat the bullets out farther which would be nice. I think it would be a very accurate light recoiling gun with good brass availability (lupua) and factory hornady rounds

For 100-300 get a .223 bolt gun or for that matter. Vudoo V22.

.223 barrel like of what 20k rounds and .22 is a lifetime.

I have a full custom 6.5 creed and I waste money shooting it most of the time unless I’m shooting 700 yards or more.

Thanks for the replies! I am only considering a bolt gun for one of these calibers. I like the idea of a Howa 1500 mini barreled action, but would be limited in other stock options, the magazines are proprietary, etc. A 6.5 Creedmoor from Remington, Tikka, Howa, etc. would give me a lot more options, and like I said, could download to Grendel levels if I wish. Kind of the best of both worlds I was thinking. No real need for one, just kind of want a larger caliber bolt gun for punching paper.

I don’t see any good reason for a 6.5 Grendel in a bolt action. As mentioned above, it shines in a small frame AR pattern rifle (and I have 2 that are great), but I wouldn’t do one in a bolt action. And, I don’t see the point of downloading a 6.5 creedmoor to get to Grendel performance. Less recoil? Probably, but the creedmoor already allows one to spot hits at med range with decent shooting form (I’m no great shooter, but spotting my own shots at 300 and beyond, on steel, from prone, is no problem). Longer barrel life? Probably. But, long enough to justify the lower performance? Not for me. A really good barrel will run ~$500. Might as well get the most ? out of it while you can. If you are going to shoot it, you will eventually shoot it out anyway.

The above notwithstanding, I think I’m going to take one of my Grendels to the next match I shoot...

Reactions: Subwrx300
I don’t see any good reason for a 6.5 Grendel in a bolt action. As mentioned above, it shines in a small frame AR pattern rifle (and I have 2 that are great), but I wouldn’t do one in a bolt action. And, I don’t see the point of downloading a 6.5 creedmoor to get to Grendel performance. Less recoil? Probably, but the creedmoor already allows one to spot hits at med range with decent shooting form (I’m no great shooter, but spotting my own shots at 300 and beyond, on steel, from prone, is no problem). Longer barrel life? Probably. But, long enough to justify the lower performance? Not for me. A really good barrel will run ~$500. Might as well get the most ? out of it while you can. If you are going to shoot it, you will eventually shoot it out anyway.

The above notwithstanding, I think I’m going to take one of my Grendels to the next match I shoot...

+1

After owning three 6.5G's, I'd suggest looking at the 6mm version. As noted by those above, the compromises come from it being brought about to fit in a small frame AR. You get better performance from the 6mm's without going into the compromise zone.

As far as putting either a 6.5G or 6-G in a bolt gun, I think the Zastava M85 or Howa mini-action is the cats ass!. A lightweight reach out to hell and back varmint rifle, that isn't hard to pack. It'll also shoot outstanding off the bags at a gun range. Even in a very light rifle, these don't have much recoil.

The one thing you have to deal with in the 6.5G is the lower velocity with the lower weight 6.5 bullets. It's sort of a double compromise. Even though the 123 gr. long range class of bullets have great BC's, they go relatively slow from a 6.5G. In the 6mm, you get lower weights still, with equal BC's, that can be pushed faster. That velocity translates into less drops and not until way out there, less wind. But, either one will be moving a lot if there is much wind way out there.

Last edited:
I'm a Grendel fan boy, love them. Once I shoot out the barrels I will look at a 6mm version.

Decide if you want a bolt gun or AR ti shoot from, that should decide whether or not you get the Grendel or Creedmoor.

I love my Grendel and use it all the time out to 1,000 with no problem

I've been shooting 6.5G for some time. Tons of performance in an AR-15 package. Now though, the 224V is probably the better varmint/LR gun, where the 6.5G is better for medium game.

In a bolt gun, I have no interest in the 6.5G, but if I did, I'd pick up a CZ 527 Carbine, in 7.62X39, and have Jim Brockman turn it into a 6.5G. At least that way, the gun is as small and light as it can be. I know you said it was just a range gun, but you already have all you need in the .223. If you really want a larger caliber to shoot paper with, I'd get a 308. Much longer barrel life, more ammo off the shelf, more learning to be done for position and recoil control. You'll end up a better shooter, where with a downloaded 6.5C, you probably won't learn anything at 100-300. At least, not anything more than you already learn with the .223

My interests are not your interests, but for me, I want to learn and improve from every round fired, and all of my guns serve a purpose in that sense.

In your case a nice 22lr trainer would be perfect for out to 300Y. No concern of barrel wear and decent ammo isn't expensive. The fun is in the challenge, mostly the wind.

223 is fine for 600Y and as you've experienced, no challenge really at 300Y.

6.5Creed, why bother at 300Y but 600Y in the wind can be challenging, much more so at 1000Y. Everyone needs a long range rifle so...

6.5G, is a fun little round but it's a master of none cartridge, well except barrel life. It's a cartridge I never warmed up to, instead I run the 6mm improved versions of it, which is about as good as it get's in a AR. I've been threatening for years to try the 22 cal verion, and now with the 95gr SMK??!!...

Reactions: sandwarrior
In your case a nice 22lr trainer would be perfect for out to 300Y. No concern of barrel wear and decent ammo isn't expensive. The fun is in the challenge, mostly the wind.

223 is fine for 600Y and as you've experienced, no challenge really at 300Y.

6.5Creed, why bother at 300Y but 600Y in the wind can be challenging, much more so at 1000Y. Everyone needs a long range rifle so...

6.5G, is a fun little round but it's a master of none cartridge, well except barrel life. It's a cartridge I never warmed up to, instead I run the 6mm improved versions of it, which is about as good as it get's in a AR. I've been threatening for years to try the 22 cal verion, and now with the 95gr SMK??!!...
Do you shoot 95 Bergers or Sierras from your 6mm?

I actually do have a .22. It's an Anschutz 1416D HB with the 5098 two stage trigger. A real challenge at 200 yds. (wind values similar to a .308 at 440 yds), and try hard to make tiny groups at 50 yds. You might be right, a .223 and my Anschutz might be all I need (those, and the Marlin 1895 for launching light artillery!).

p.s. SLG, CZ does make the 527 in 6.5 Grendel just like the 7.62! Check it out!

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123