• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel: New bolt or BCG?

Space Jam Darimon

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
Hello,

I’m working on my first AR-15 build in 6.5 Grendel. I went with a CMMG barrel (#64DCF0C), now do I need to go with the CMMG BCG that they offer? Or am I able to just replace the bolt from a 556 BCG that was replaced in another rifle?

If either option is viable, is there any benefit to going on way or another?

hopefully you're aware of the differences between a type 1 and type 2 bolt.
I do, the fella from the LGS said it uses a type 2. While the tube it came in and CMMG’s website doesn’t say. I’ve reached out to them today and awaiting their response.
Reusing a carrier would depend on whether it's still within spec. The safe bet is a new BCG.
The carrier should be ok, it only had 500-600 rounds on it before it was upgraded.

Thanks for those recommendations, I’ll check them out.

Reactions: JS8588 and msgriff
Everyone and their brother sells BCGs for 6.5 grendel. You can interchange the bolt, but 2 is always better than 1. I've had a cheap aero precision 6.5grendel BCG with close to 1,000 rounds on it and no hiccups. If your looking for one on the cheaper side, this would work. They have a good reputation.