• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 Grendel NFG

Milan metal

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2012
Starting my first build and I like the 6.5G round better than .223/5.56. It will be target rifle so I am not worried about taking down large game. I already have a billet lower. I know I want a 24" barrel but I am not sure who to go with. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: 6.5 Grendel NFG

I gave Satern a call earlier today with no answer. Hopefully they get back with me tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Milan Metal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gave Satern a call earlier today with no answer. Hopefully they get back with me tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. </div></div>
Good luck with that LOL! Just back order it through midwayusa and wait. That is if you dont get your panties bunched up over it being a LBC chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Milan Metal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gave Satern a call earlier today with no answer. Hopefully they get back with me tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.</div></div>

Email Kim, may be your best bet at getting in contact with them.

Yeah.....me and patience don't go so well. LOL. I will try again tomorrow.

Have you ever done anything with shaw? I have heard some not so great things about them and then some good things.

Good news is I just ordered my..

Magpul prs stock
Caa grip with palm rest
Cmmg lower parts kit
Buffer kit

Slow build but moving!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk to Scott at Specialized Dynamics or Mark at Short Action Customs </div></div>

Sweet I will call them tomorrow. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk to Mark at Short Action Customs </div></div>

I was going to mention Mark as well. He had some barrels for sale few months back and a 1/2 moa guarantee if I remember correctly, but they were chambered in 264 lbc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Milan Metal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Starting my first build and I like the 6.5G round better than .223/5.56. It will be target rifle so I am not worried about taking down large game. I already have a billet lower. I know I want a 24" barrel but I am not sure who to go with. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.</div></div>

I strongly recommend Mark at Precision Firearms in Maryland. He did a fantaztic job with my recent 6.5G Upper. Tons of options. Turn around time was under three weeks and CS was fanastic. He also chambers in 6.5G with Lilja barrels.

I've shot under 1/2 MOA. Also has been very consistent at 600yds.

Here is my build http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...611#Post3231611

PF website www.precisionfirearms.com

Hey quick question about the 6.5 grendel is it worth using as oppose to .308 winchester or 6.5 creedmore, for long range precision shooting, plus how the recoil of the round?

It will out run the 308 at longer distances but don't think it will stand next to the Creedmore at the same distances.

I shoot 308, Creedmoor and Grendel, you will not be disappointed in the Grendel. No recoil and impressive at long distance, rides the wind pretty good to be a light bullet. Grendel falls behind Creedmoor.

Well Mark is out too. The search continues.

They will not post on the wtb section because I dont have 100 posts. I can see their reasoning but if you dont have a gun how do you talk about it?

Keep the sources coming!

I really do believe precision firearms is where it's at for the Grendel. You can order all the components right from him, brass, powder, dies etc. I couldn't be more happy with the entire experience. I'm surprised PF dosent get more burn on the Hide

Go with the grendel, may take you some time but go with the satern barrel. The 308 & creedmore are ar-10's, you would need a larger action to run them. The grendel is for the ar-15. I have a 18" satern in the grendel and couldnt be happier with it.

I spoke with kim and she told me october......I need something sooner than five months.

Mark said month or two and another guy said 8-10 weeks. This is ridiculous! I am going to start making barrels pretty soon. LOL

Not to beat a dead hores but just checked out PF's website and they have every model of the Grendels listed as in stock. Not sure why you wouldn't check that option. Im not PR for the company but a very satisfied customer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will out run the 308 at longer distances but don't think it will stand next to the Creedmore at the same distances. </div></div>

^^Nope

I have a 24" AA Grendel and while the BC and initial velocity of the 6.5 is higher than a .308's, the 308 will out preform the 6.5 at anything over ~700yrds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Milan Metal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Have you ever done anything with shaw? I have heard some not so great things about them and then some good things.
</div></div>

Model1 uses ER shaw, I have one in 5.56 seems really finicky about what bullets and loads it shoots well, but the ones it does shoot well are <1/2MOA. Also had a couple Interarms barreled actions that I was told had shaw barrels in .308 and .223 both of which were consistently MOA or slightly better. Not the chamberings you're looking at obviously, but the quality/accuracy seems equivilent to quality OEM barrels. Unless I was shooting BR I'd be willing to buy another in my experience they deliver reasonable practical accuracy.

SCORE!!! Found it from Mark! I thought I was talking with him but it was the other Mark mentioned. Brain fart I guess. Very good guy to deal with.

Either way thanks for your help and I will post pics of my build!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Milan Metal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SCORE!!! Found it from Mark! I thought I was talking with him but it was the other Mark mentioned. Brain fart I guess. Very good guy to deal with.

Either way thanks for your help and I will post pics of my build!</div></div>

So which Mark did you talked to?

I spoke with both but PF hand the barrel. May buy a whole upper.

iirc grendels have some weird harmonics and pretty much require the barrel extension to be bedded with loctite.

I think there might be a few other tricks to assembling one of their uppers or at least the vendors allude to it.

You might want to double check on the 6.5 forum for best practices

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">iirc grendels have some weird harmonics and pretty much require the barrel extension to be bedded with loctite.

I think there might be a few other tricks to assembling one of their uppers or at least the vendors allude to it.

You might want to double check on the 6.5 forum for best practices</div></div>

I assembled my own with the exception of the barrel extension to the barrel. I have no harmonics problems.

What I have had are load problems. Especially since I live up North where temps vary from well below zero in winter and near or above 100 in the summer. But, that has to do with case volume and rifle set-up, not harmonics.

The best load I've found for summer and winter, and it's been tried in 24" 20", 19.5/19" and 18" barrels is 29 gr. of IMR 8208 XMR. It's fast enough burning and has a soft pressure ceiling that works well for top end pressures in this case.

As far as the Shaw's go, they are decent, but if you really want better accuracy, there are better barrels to be had. And, worth the wait for.

-good luck.

I believe this was Bill Alexanders post here:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has been found that the harmonics of the Grendel can cause vertical stringing. So to lock this down without LockTite you are talking over 70foot-pounds of torque on the barrel nut. That can be hard on the receivers. As a solution that seems to work quite well was to bed the barrel and gas block in the LockTite 2440 (replaced with 243) and torque to normal specs</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will out run the 308 at longer distances but don't think it will stand next to the Creedmore at the same distances. </div></div>

^^Nope

I have a 24" AA Grendel and while the BC and initial velocity of the 6.5 is higher than a .308's, the 308 will out preform the 6.5 at anything over ~700yrds. </div></div>

Can you elaborate on this? You are saying the .308 outperforms any 6.5mm over 700, correct?

H at ARP has Melonite 18" 264 barrels in stock, he is out of the superbolts though. Not many range reports but if they are anything like his 6.8 sticks, they will be tack drivers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good deal, you wont regret it! </div></div>

I don't think I will. Mark seems to be a real nice guy and very knowledgeable. I am waiting on a price for a full upper so we will see what he comes up with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will out run the 308 at longer distances but don't think it will stand next to the Creedmore at the same distances. </div></div>

^^Nope

I have a 24" AA Grendel and while the BC and initial velocity of the 6.5 is higher than a .308's, the 308 will out preform the 6.5 at anything over ~700yrds. </div></div>

Can you elaborate on this? You are saying the .308 outperforms <span style="color: #FF0000">any</span> 6.5mm over 700, correct? </div></div>

^^ We're talking about Grendels in this thread, not <span style="color: #CC0000">"any"</span> 6.5.

So I have a couple more questions.

What do you think of putting a sightron 10-50x scope on it? Anyone used one? Bushnell elite 40x? I like high magnification.

How much does a target reload cost you? 20 cents? When I say target I mean blowing rounds at 100-200 yards not 1000.

How much money is reloading equipment?

Know anywhere in southeast Michigan to shoot 600-800 yards?

Wolf ammo any good for 100 -200 yd backyard targets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Milan Metal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have a couple more questions.

What do you think of putting a sightron 10-50x scope on it?

---that would be stupid----

Anyone used one?

--yes, not on a gas gun--

Bushnell elite 40x? I like high magnification.

--there is no 40 power bush elite --
-- a 2.5 - 16 x 50 bush elite would be a practical choice--

How much does a target reload cost you? 20 cents? When I say target I mean blowing rounds at 100-200 yards not 1000.

--if you wanted cheap you should have stayed with .223, there is no cheap grendal brass or 6.5 projectiles, by the time you pro-rate the brass about .40 is as low as you could go--

How much money is reloading equipment?

--exactly $37.28, never more, never less--

Know anywhere in southeast Michigan to shoot 600-800 yards?

Wolf ammo any good for 100 -200 yd backyard targets? </div></div>

I am going to need more information than "that would be stupid".

Sorry the bushy is 32x. I don't do practical. I am going to buy something I can shoot 25yards or 800yards and see the target easily. I don't shoot enough to justify a $2000 nightforce and that's why I am going with one of these.

It has nothing to do with cheap. If I wanted cheap I would have bought a $300 .22 and stop building my $3000 Grendel. It's about not wasting money. To save 20 cents on bs ammo is not worth my time. To save 40 cents is borderline. When I really want to see what I and the gun can do I will just call mark and get a case of his rounds. It seems rounds are getting cheaper anyways now that they're mainstream but I could be off.

The press, dies and whatever else you need is $38? I don't think so but I hope so!

I was looking at the bushnell elite 32x for on my grendel I havent heard anything bad about them, but I had a good tax return and decided to buy nightforce NXS 32x scope that Ill have for the rest my my life, but there is nothing wrong with a bushnell elite. also the wolf ammo will work fine for 100-200 yard plinking, Im using hornady factoy ammo right now and saving the brass from it to reload, I have a load worked up for it already that Ive been using for what I do shoot but I keep buying factory loads just to keep the brass. if anyone is shooting grendel and not reloading it PM me ill buy your brass LOL.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at reloading equipment today. How fast can you reload ammo? 200-300 an hour? I seen some people that were loading 9mm at a rate of 400 per hour.

Your not going to reload grendel rounds or a accurate rifle round at a rate of 200-300 an hour. Depending on case prep your looking at around 40-60 an hour. I just loaded 100 of 300 blkout, took me two and half hours but I take my time & pay attention to detail. You can load much faster with a progressive press, like loading pistol rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
XBR

8208 XBR.</div></div>

You are correct. It's 8208 XBR not XMR. I don't have any out here in Idaho with me.

Milan, I have never used a Dilon progressive so I can't say. You may be able to load a large number of rounds with one. My concern would be precision. I use a turret press to do each step in the process. I care more about making each round accurate and less about a large number of rounds I can load at a time. If you are wanting to load a large amount of rounds then a progressive press is good.

Ok thanks. I think I am going to post something in the reload section and see what people are doing. I just want to play around for the most part so key holing everything doesn't really matter to me. Maybe later it will but right now I just want to have fun in the back woods.

Good news is I spoke with my neighbor and he is going to let me shoot on his property. They dug a huge pond and it has a very large pile of dirt next to it. It will be roughly 400-800m shot depending on my position in the field.

I have a hornady LNL AP and a giraud trimmer, I can probably load around 300 rounds an hour on the press, Im using 2520 powder and CCI 450 primers in my load. I'm within 20 FPS with my loads on my crono, Im getting 2560-2580 with my satern 20 inch barrel just slightly faster than the hornady factory loads. I was getting around 2500-2540 with the factory loads. if I do my part I can get close to 1/4 MOA groups with those loads.

grendel290moa.jpg

Damn nice shooting there! I think I may get into reloading just for something to do. And to save a couple pennies. What is your cost per round?

if you have brass and get a C&R FFL witch is only $25 for 3 years so you can get discounts from diffrent places Im down to about 33 cents a round for grendel. I buy my bullets from grafs for 20.99 per 100, powder and primers I get local at a gun shop that has better pricing than most other places I go to. $20 bucks a lb for powder $26 a box for magnum primers or $21 for standard primers.

thats pretty cheap. How many times can you reload brass? I know the wolf stuff is junk but how about Hornady and Lapua?

I have a Dillon 650 and I can load 500 rounds an hour without even working hard. I have the case feeder and think it would be hard to do without that.

Tom

I have 5 loadings on some of my grendel brass and no signs of cracks yet, my .223 I have some that I reloaded 10 times till they cracked

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Milan Metal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats pretty cheap. How many times can you reload brass? I know the wolf stuff is junk but how about Hornady and Lapua? </div></div>

PPU Grendel brass gave about 3 reloads before the primer pockets got loose. I've got 8 reloads on my AA/Lapua brass, always FL sized and still going. Hornady have 5 reloads and still going. No splits encountered except for the PPU stuff. Had 1 split in 100 rounds.

XBR is TITS!!!