• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 6.5 Grendel Optics Selection

Jaytrigger

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2011
Fort Gordon GA
Im currently looking into my new piece of glass for this build.
What are your thought for 6.5 grendel glass?

Im currently looking at the vortex viper pst line, specifically Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP Rifle scope around $900

I dont mind putting down more if what Im getting is better. Price range is 800- 1350ish.

Suggestions?

I just got two SWFA SS 10x42Q shipped waiting for it to come in Tuesday. I've heard some good stuff on em for their price... personally my next choice is the vortex PST. I haven't heard much any bad stuff about them. After that the price jumps up a lot for a variable power FFP

You mentioned the caliber but you didn't say what application you are using the rifle for. Recommendations are generally based on requirements.

The Grendel is a great round capable of longrange stability but if your intent is for shooting at ranges only out to 300-500 yards, vs 1000+ yards, your requirements and options change considerably.

Also, is this a hunting rifle where size and weight come into play or is this a bench rifle where big and heavy don't matter?

A really good, all around scope in your price range is the SS 5-20 if you don't mind the heft. A lighter, simpler option as a hunting optic might be the Leupold VX-R series. Really nice scopes for a very reasonable price in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with the Vortex scopes either from what I've read (never owned one myself though).

You'll get more targeted (no pun intended) responses if you can tell us what you plan to use the rifle for.

BTW: I love the Grendel. My brother has several and I'm tempted to get a least one in my safe soon.

Well its a mix of hunting and target. The Range here on Fort Gordon goes out to 966 yards. When I can get out to hunt this will also be rifle i will be bringing. Being heavy doesnt matter to me to much I carried a 240B my first deployment 249 the second.
The scope will be used for 300-800 and when Im feeling up to it 1k when I learn the caliber more.

Jaytrigger,

Based on your needs, and your price range, I would seriously look at the Super Sniper 5-20. It's a lot of scope for a reasonable price. Everything I've read on this forum and others is that it's a steal at its price. You can find both the illuminated and the non-illuminated versions.

I own several Premier Reticles scopes and have had most of the other major brands in the category but I am seriously considering picking up a SS just to see if they are as good as people are saying they are.

In your price range, you can get a new non-illuminated and a used or LNIB illuminated SS. I regularly see NIB being sold for about $1100-$1200 on this forum.

Good luck.

I run the Bushnell 3-12 FFP with G2 reticle on mine. It is primarily my coyote hunting rig so i wanted to stay with something that didnt start out to high on the low end.

Check out Horus Vision scopes, esp. with H59 reticles. Great scopes for the money and those Horus reticles won't come in at a lower price in any other brand.

I use a Leupold MK4 6.5-20 on mine. Probably overkill, but I like it. Also use a MK4 3.5-10 occasionally.

Weaver 3-15 FFP illuminated mil-dot on the lower end of your budget (better glass than the vortex, vortex CS is easier to deal with)

Bushnell HDMR on the upper end.

I wouldn't consider a Horus scope, far too many horror stories.

My 28" satern wears nf 5.5-22x56 R1 hs. Purpose? to get to the fartest he can..
20130324_203850_zpsa2e31233.jpg