• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 grendel pin hole through primers

Bbowl1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I first noticed this with factory 123gr amax and now I am seeing it on my aa brass loads.

Pin hole through the primer with some "soot". Is this normal? I used to see this with my old custom build .308 on occasion.

Out of the 40 hornady factory 123amax at least half did this. Far less common now with AA brass and win sr primer.

I should note the rifle is a 24" AA complete upper with a geiselle 2 stage. Shouldn't be striking too hard...

My load is below max published and far below what I see others doing at 27.8gr xbr8208.

Second pic is the usual strike. Only 1/20 with my load are like first pic

Last edited:
Pull your firing pin out and look at face, probably got eroded from the initial pierced primers. Might need a new firing pin.

The upper only has about 300 rounds through it. And I have pulled it and it looks like a normal ar firing pin to me. Nothing unusual.

The firing pins face looks completely normal as compared to my others. Should I just replace it? I can't imagine anything else could cause it unless the hammer was striking too hard. But like I said, geiselle, unlikely I think

you sure firing pin is not overlength? pull bolt out drop firing pin and see how much firing pin does sticks out

Not sure how I would measure that. I guess I could put a pin next to the protrude of the pin and get a rough number

Not sure how I would measure that. I guess I could put a pin next to the protrude of the pin and get a rough number
You get a fairly close measurement with a set of calipers. Use the rod that sticks out when opening the caliper. Measure the bolt to face then measure bolt to fitting pin whilst pushing the firing pin out to the fire position then take the difference. That is your protrusion measurement.

I really couldn't figure out how to get any type of measurement I felt was accurate.

Visually side by side with a ar223 if anything the protrusion looks less. Definitely not more